Headphone stand

I share your frustration. I have abandoned some reasonably promising 3-d printing concepts myself on the basis of time domain and/or print reliability. I have had more success in the realm of laser-cut acrylic. Projects typically cut in about 15 minutes and are assembled within the hour. I avoid metal fixings largely because of the high cost of good quality hardware. I prefer to design my own acrylic clips.

20200527_221218.jpg

20200527_221301.jpg

20200527_221329.jpg

20200527_221344.jpg

• Like 2

All power to you!! As a Secondary School woodwork teacher and part-time luthier, wood has been a major part of my professional life for 45 years. It would be a mistake to imagine that emmergent technologies such as 3-d printing and laser-cutting are in some way adrift from the cratsmanship of fine woodworking. Materials such as ABS, acrylic sheet, acrylic resin, caesar stone, aluminium billets etc etc etc are successfully being used not only as wood alternatives,  but also in symbiotic combination with fine timber. Indeed, the technologies of laser-cutting and CNC milling are frequently used with fine timber to produce excellent uber-utilitarian results. Importantly though, these production methods and materials have served to democratize the ability to deliver a very high quality of finish for bespoke projects, with the added advantage of unlimited repeat production if required. Just as Stradivarius and Guarneri availed themselves of the state-of-the-art technologies of their day, I don't think it unreasonable to imagine that they would have been enamoured of CNC milling techniques had they lived now. Best wishes, Leon.

• Love 1