NoCoder

Low Budget Bookshelf speaker option

Hi All, 

Revisiting the vinyl scene after many years away and have started out with a Pioneer LP30 turntable and I already had a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver. Down the track  I would like to upgrade eveything, but my budget will not allow that for a fair while. 

I would like to add better speakers than the ones that came with the receiver and was looking at a few bookshelf speaker options. I have seen a few Edifier model and also a Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speaker. I only have up to $300 to spend. 

I know nothing will blow me away with my current set up and budget, but it's a start to listen to what I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

These are for sale in the classified’s. You won’t look back. And local 

These will blow your mind for the money. I had a pair and wish I never sold them. Great bookshelf speaker on a budget. 

yamaha ns20-t

B5369E70-AE93-454D-B8ED-F8A2F323C29C.jpeg

I bought these for my small room
edifier-r1280db-wood_BkTbMcKvN.jpg
Although they are made in China 

8 minutes ago, Peter-E said:

I bought these for my small room
edifier-r1280db-wood_BkTbMcKvN.jpg
Although they are made in China 

Yeah, I've looked at a few of the Edifier range and was looking more at passive speakers. The Edifier are all pretty cheap, so i was a little wary of their quality

1 minute ago, NoCoder said:

Yeah, I've looked at a few of the Edifier range and was looking more at passive speakers. The Edifier are all pretty cheap, so i was a little wary of their quality

They get good reviews and I've had no trouble with them. So far

1 minute ago, Peter-E said:

They get good reviews and I've had no trouble with them. So far

Good to get some feedback other than that from the sights they are for sale on. Thanks

Keep a look out in the classifieds section. If you are patient, you can easily get your hands on something very good for your $350 budget. 

Might also be worth looking for a used Ritcher Merlins. I've heard them (RRP of $900, but can usually be found on sale for less). They are fantastic little bookshelfs and if you are lucky, you may find a used one for just a bit more than your budget.

Also checkout the second hand options at Len Wallis Audio (https://lenwallisaudio.com/category/secondhand/). There are a couple of options in your budget. I've bought my speakers (used) from them and can highly recommend LWA. They also offer a 3 month warranty on all used items.

Posted (edited)

I picked up some Wharfedale Diamond 121s for $300 in the SNA classifieds in July 2019 and they have been excellent in this setup

0A72E6A3-1244-4B93-8809-5690E471399F.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin

Posted (edited)

Seek out some B & W - DM 602 S2's 

S1's were good also but steer clear of the S3's 

Edited by Powerglide
Mis quoted "602" not 601

18 minutes ago, Powerglide said:

S1's were good also but steer clear of the S3's 

Any reason why?

34 minutes ago, KRSDarwin said:

I picked up some Wharfedale Diamond 121s for $300 in the SNA classifieds in July 2019 and they have been excellent in this setup

0A72E6A3-1244-4B93-8809-5690E471399F.jpeg

Yes, the Diamonds are great little speakers! 

It's surprising how much good quality stuff you can get for very little money if you look around and are open to buying used. 

3 hours ago, NoCoder said:

I only have up to $300 to spend. 

I know nothing will blow me away with my current set up and budget, but it's a start to listen to what I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here you go mate........exactly on your budget, and these will blow you away! 

16 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Any reason why?

Made in China?

9 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Here you go mate........exactly on your budget, and these will blow you away! 

Fantastic Speaker for the future but will sound dead with that Yammie Receiver.

Posted (edited)

These are my Yamaha NS144s that I’ve had for fourty years. They still sound amazing. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to change them. Starting at the ‘source’ I think your dollars would be better spent on a decent cartridge, such as an Ortofon 2M Blue or a Nagaoka M110. That would be a better upgrade IMHO...

50A8FBF9-518A-4784-8452-A56317719FA3.jpeg

Edited by markielinhart
Typo...

21 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Any reason why?

Many moons ago I heavily researched the 600's prior to a purchase. Great reviews all round but one article stuck out, it included statements/interviews with several B&W technicians from the era, I tried to find it but no luck. Loosely put the 600's were the entry level, by the time the 602 S2 came along they blind tested so well against the CM1's that B&W had a problem. The techs that perfected them claimed them as their finest work but then as @Wimbo said they moved 600 assembly off shore. They still continued development but used cheaper products and labour, they also packaged them in surround sound sets and mass retailed them through non audiofile retailers. 

Don't get me wrong the S3's "were" good speakers and got great reviews but their quality dropped and they fell into the hands of a different consumer so finding a good pair is a bit harder. 

Posted (edited)

These are the reference low priced speakers for sure brand new at $549. If you can find a second-hand pair, they will fit your price range and absolutely blow all expectations you have of low budget speakers.

https://www.stereophonic.com.au/elac-debut-2-0-b5-2-bookshelf-speakers-pair/

$498 on special:

https://www.apollohifi.com.au/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/elac-debut-2-0-b5-2.html

Edited by Ittaku

On 25/05/2020 at 7:29 PM, Bill125812 said:

These are for sale in the classified’s. You won’t look back. And local 

Go and get these, Ive purchased speakers from @kelossus and he knows a thing or two about a thing or two, read his comments 

@Powerglide

thansk for the detailed reply, very good to know......

Great thread too, as I’m looking for some nice bang for buck as I moved my Maggie 1.7 on.

Thanks for all the feedback. Certainly given me a bit to look into.

Is there much to be gained from new/better speaker wire if it’s only around 2 meters? 

On 27/05/2020 at 5:36 PM, NoCoder said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Certainly given me a bit to look into.

Is there much to be gained from new/better speaker wire if it’s only around 2 meters? 

It all helps i find. 

Apologies in advance for making a recommendation a smidge out of your range.   Wharfedale Dentons.  Stupidly good.  I only sold mine because someone of this parish had Spendor D1s for sale.  Not only do they sound fine that they look absolutely fabulous.  

Posted (edited)
On 27/05/2020 at 7:36 PM, NoCoder said:

If you are looking at $300 speakers, don't even think of spending anything on special speaker cables. Spend more on the speakers.

Edited by Ittaku