5.1.2 Advice

Hi Folks,

Currently I have a 3.1 setup with 2 Q Accoustics 3200 bookshelf speaker, concept 20 center speaker with an old Yamaha sub NS-SW050(got it for 50$). powered by Sony STR DN-1080. I have attached my current room layout(its not an ideal format for home theatre setup :( ).  I'm Planning to add 2 floor standing speaker, move bookshelf to rear mounted on wall and a good sub. Is it a good idea for going with ceiling speaker/upfiring speaker.  need advice on how to progress? since room is less than ideal should i just stick with 5.1 or go with 5.1.2

layout.png

:welcome: to the forum..

A budget will help guide discussions.  The Classifieds, which you will have access when you post more, is an option for speakers and subs.

The centre is an important speaker for movies because it carries the dialogue and you should upgrade it as well.  Ideally, get matching front speakers of the same brand and series.   You can use different brands/series for the centre and left/right as long as they are tonally matched (sound the same). 

Go 5.1.2 if you can.  5.1.2 is  better with wired ceiling speakers but there are mixed feelings with upward firing speakers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. Im planning to spend max 3k (planning to slowly buy items when I have enough savings). What should be the first item I should update?

3 hours ago, 4d1in3 said:

Currently I have a 3.1 setup with 2 Q Accoustics 3200 bookshelf speaker, concept 20 center speaker with an old Yamaha sub NS-SW050(got it for 50$). powered by Sony STR DN-1080. I have attached my current room layout(its not an ideal format for home theatre setup :( ).  I'm Planning to add 2 floor standing speaker, move bookshelf to rear mounted on wall and a good sub. Is it a good idea for going with ceiling speaker/upfiring speaker. 

the Q acoustics is reasonable gear ! I'd add their floor stander into mix for fronts....

definitely add a good sub, AVR and in ceiling speakers. a good sub can be $1k mark. AVR probably looking $2k. thats your budget... so id suggest go 2nd hand if can... can then likely fit in the in ceiling speakers as well. and this isn't talking about floor standers :D which for ! acoustic are $1500 or so :) 

do in stages.... id do AVR and sub next... add floor stander and in ceilings as budget allows... dont have to all at once...

• Like 2

Agree with Al's suggestions.

That Sony AVR has a max power consumption of 240W - classA/B amplifier efficiency is max 70% which leaves 168W spread over 7 channels in a 5.1.2 setup i.e. 24W/channel. That's fine for surrounds/Atmos, but mighty skinny for LCR speakers.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I'll try to update my Avr and Sub first.  Any decent AVR/Sub i should be looking out for? 

Edited by 4d1in3

16 minutes ago, 4d1in3 said:

Thanks guys, I'll try to update my Avr and Sub first.  Any decent AVR/Sub i should be looking out for? 

you are in melbourne, id head to a Q acoustics retailer, check out some options in avr see what think. try and look at what is the end game to work unto ie which sub avr fronts and then slowly buy one at a time as budget and timing suits....

Just another option would be to add bookshelf for surrounds + 2 in ceilings + good subwoofer, than setup crossover to 80hz for center speaker and 100hz or even 120hz for the rest.   

Atmos will be a great thing to have, but cutting into the ceiling can provide headaches as well. Do as much research as to which way the joists run, how much room and how easy it is to run cables through. Otherwise the up-firing from the floorstanders may be the most viable way to go. I am less convinced by having to go the same line of  speakers in-ceiling, sub and rears but keeping the 3 main ones at the front along the same brand/model line would be useful.

Your room's layout is similar to mine. 

It's not a big space so the sound can get very messy even with good speakers. I would suggest to get a good AV receiver and spend some times playing room correction function.

Don't rush buying big floorstanding speakers. Choose a good subwoofer and bookshelf can be used as front speaker too.

I tried upfiring, front height and ceiling for atmos and to me ceiling speaking is the only way working...You can get a pair of 2nd-hand satellite speakers (something like Cambridge Minx) and try different mounting positions to see if Atmos really matter to you

On 30/05/2020 at 11:23 PM, Zac_808 said:

Your room's layout is similar to mine. 

It's not a big space so the sound can get very messy even with good speakers. I would suggest to get a good AV receiver and spend some times playing room correction function.

Don't rush buying big floorstanding speakers. Choose a good subwoofer and bookshelf can be used as front speaker too.

I tried upfiring, front height and ceiling for atmos and to me ceiling speaking is the only way working...You can get a pair of 2nd-hand satellite speakers (something like Cambridge Minx) and try different mounting positions to see if Atmos really matter to you

Thanks, If you dont mind whats the setup you have gone with?

Just now, 4d1in3 said:

Thanks, If you dont mind whats the setup you have gone with?

I started with an entry level Yamaha 5.1 receiver with Yamaha NS 5.1 system. The speakers are too big for the room. I sold them and got Monitor Audio Silver 6, which is the smallest floorstanding speakers in MA silver series.

I think the best decision I've made is upgrading to Anthem MRX 720 receiver. The Arc room correction is very helpful.

• Like 1