Jump to content

James85

Wiring active subwoofer

Recommended Posts

Hi all. 
 

ive been doing some reading and I just want to make sure I have this right. I want to wire an active subwoofer into my stereo system running a 2ch integrated. 
 

from what I understand I am best wiring the sub to the speaker outputs of the amp, so am I just meant to wire them in where the mains are also wired in? So like kind of splice the speaker cable together?

 

Alternatively I read I can piggyback the sub from the main speakers signal inputs but if I’m ok to do it the first way I’d prefer that. 

 

thanks all. 
 

james. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What exactly your active sub model is? Read the owner's manual first before you connect the way " you prefer".

Edited by Music & HT lover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James85 said:

from what I understand I am best wiring the sub to the speaker outputs of the amp, so am I just meant to wire them in where the mains are also wired in? So like kind of splice the speaker cable together?

DON'T connect speaker outputs, could damage sub.  An active sub has its own amplifier and you need feed the RCA output to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses. The tip to track down the manual was a goodun as it has illustrations.
 

This is the setup I was hoping for and trying to describe but I was probably not very articulate. 

01581085-2DF2-4D1C-96AF-9BF6C3CFA992.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Based upon the extract from the manual above, it's easiest to simply run some figure 8 speaker cable from your sub to the rear of the amp, and connect them in parallel to your main speaker cables.

 

The high-level inputs of active subwoofer are very high impedance and place no load on your amp, so there is absolutely no issue with using this method of connection. Some manufacturers actually recommend it (e.g. REL).

 

Do take heed of the warning regarding not using this method of connection for amps which do not have a common ground. It can cause issues.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Based upon the extract from the manual above, it's easiest to simply run some figure 8 speaker cable from your sub to the rear of the amp, and connect them in parallel to your main speaker cables.

 

The high-level inputs of active subwoofer are very high impedance and place no load on your amp, so there is absolutely no issue with using this method of connection. Some manufacturers actually recommend it (e.g. REL).

 

Do take heed of the warning regarding not using this method of connection for amps which do not have a common ground. It can cause issues.

 

 

Thanks Pete. 
I’ve been looking for a wiring diagram of my amp (Yamaha rx396) but can’t seem to find one. I think I’ll roll the dice though. Thanks for your help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RX396 will be fine! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to dig this up again, same sub new amp; I just got a old Rotel ra-314 and was joking the speakers and sub up when I remembered the above comment about the amp needing a common ground for this to be safe to do. Can anyone tell me if the ra314 does? The speaker terminals have the negatives NOT next to each other, whereas on the Yamaha they were, unsure if that is an indicator though. 
 

I appreciate everyone’s help. 
 

james. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, James85 said:

Sorry to dig this up again, same sub new amp; I just got a old Rotel ra-314 and was joking the speakers and sub up when I remembered the above comment about the amp needing a common ground for this to be safe to do. Can anyone tell me if the ra314 does? The speaker terminals have the negatives NOT next to each other, whereas on the Yamaha they were, unsure if that is an indicator though. 
 

I appreciate everyone’s help. 
 

james. 

 

All good - common ground!

 

1776042496_commonground.PNG.0aa9486271b7072bed520923aafdb459.PNG

Edited by pete_mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Pete!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that if you use high level inputs, this eliminates the chance of using EQ, either from your AVR or an external device. For this reason I'd call it the "last resort" option for systems that have no other way. In the vast majority of systems, it's a big compromise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my sub hooked up to the amp’s speaker terminals, and I’m happily using EQ ( to defeat two room modes down low).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...