KEF LSX with SVS or REL sub?

Hi all,

I’m looking to add a sub to the KEF LSX I have setup on my desk in our home office. The room is approx. 4m x 4m with a small lounge, 2.5m desk, small TV cabinet and 50” TV (long live the Kuro!). Carpeted and one wall is exposed brick while the others are gyprock and a wooden door WIR. 

Im not looking to run a really loud setup, so something that works well at low to mid volume is ideal. My research has led me to REL t5i and SVS SB1000. The latter is potentially overkill, but at some point in the future this setup might make its way into a larger room. 

I’ve been advised against the KEF KUB8. I was told that KEF male speakers, not subs. 

Keen to hear your suggestions as well as ideal positioning. At this point I fee that under the desk is likely my only option due to the room layout/space. 

Picture included to help. Lounge to the right of the desk - TV and cabinet to the left/behind. Door/entrance opposite the desk/behind my chair approx. 3m. 

Note, LSX going on Kanto SP9 stands on the desktop tomorrow. 

Thanks.

A4550145-3C56-43B5-B7BB-B5D0BB3E216A.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

Hi all,

I’m looking to add a sub to the KEF LSX I have setup on my desk in our home office. The room is approx. 4m x 4m with a small lounge, 2.5m desk, small TV cabinet and 50” TV (long live the Kuro!). Carpeted and one wall is exposed brick while the others are gyprock and a wooden door WIR. 

Im not looking to run a really loud setup, so something that works well at low to mid volume is ideal. My research has led me to REL t5i and SVS SB1000. The latter is potentially overkill, but at some point in the future this setup might make its way into a larger room. 

I’ve been advised against the KEF KUB8. I was told that KEF male speakers, not subs. 

Keen to hear your suggestions as well as ideal positioning. At this point I fee that under the desk is likely my only option due to the room layout/space. 

Picture included to help. Lounge to the right of the desk - TV and cabinet to the left/behind. Door/entrance opposite the desk/behind my chair approx. 3m. 

Note, LSX going on Kanto SP9 stands on the desktop tomorrow. 

Thanks.

A4550145-3C56-43B5-B7BB-B5D0BB3E216A.jpeg

Not sure why anyone would tell you to avoid Kef  Kube as they sound awesome. I have lsx and the kube 10b and they integrate perfectly.

That is one hell of a monitor..... why does it need to be so wide? You must get a sore neck looking left and right all the time ?

• Like 1

It’s the Samsung CRG9 49”. Essentially 2 27” monitors without a black bar in the middle. Not as crazy as it might seem. I work in technology and have a lot of screens open all the time. No sore neck lol

The comment on the KEF sub was from the shop I bought the LSX from. They sell all 3 options and recommended the other two.

• Haha 1

I would recommend the SVS as that's what i'm using with my R3 (SB13 Ultra). One thing i would also highly recommend is getting the SVS sub soundpath feet for the sub as that will improve the sound quality (less resonance from the ground and wall. Also don't toe in that much. KEF from experience is best sounding straight or minimal toe in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buff Hamster said:

I would recommend the SVS as that's what i'm using with my R3 (SB13 Ultra). One thing i would also highly recommend is getting the SVS sub soundpath feet for the sub as that will improve the sound quality (less resonance from the ground and wall. Also don't toe in that much. KEF from experience is best sounding straight or minimal toe in.

Interesting!

I’ve read that in a desktop scenario you want to be able to sit in your seat and not see the sides of the speakers, just the front from your position. That wasn’t LSX specific, so this extra detail is great.

I’m replicating this setup (speakers and stands) and you have reminded me that this user also keeps his speakers essentially forward facing. 

1C06AD1E-F853-400B-A7B5-788B1041C057.jpeg

Edited by elisix_

I used LS50 and R3 on a desk as well but I only had a 34" ultrawide whereas you have a 49" super ultrawide. You will need some toe in but play around with the amount needed as it's all about personal taste. 

If you are mixing music then yes point them directly at you but LSX is probably not something i would use to mix music with.

Thanks for the reference picture of those stunning speakers :)

I think my next goal after I sort my desk/headphones/DAC+AMP will be my HT and those speakers are in my sights!

I won't be mixing any music - just playing music between video calls and getting my kid to bed of an evening.

Just finished setting up, and cabling properly, the Kanto SP9 stands for the LSX. Came up nicely I think. 

On topic, with the stands in place I can immediately notice the difference in sound, especially the perception of increased treble with the drivers at ear height. 

I’ll be hunting a sub tomorrow.

95D9E970-93AD-42B6-8436-44B42DCCD7EE.jpeg

04286358-768A-423D-BA66-667ACB3599C0.jpeg

Edited by elisix_
  • Like 3

So I did actually turn the speakers in - not a lot, but I can definitely tell the difference. It's funny, with them dead on, I could hear the treble more since they're raised, which made me want the sub immediately. Turning them in slightly, I can hear more than just the treble more. I still want the sub, and I am leaning toward the SVS, but less of a rush.

Edited by elisix_