RCA switch recommendations please

Hi,

i need a RCA switcher so I can route some

signals. I need 2 in / 1 out. 

Has anyone got any suggestions on what’s worth buying? 

Cheers! 

Edited by Jhsg

I love my Schiit SYS

SYS is a simple, 2-input passive preamp. No electronics. No power. No distortion. Just a 2-way switch and a potentiometer.

Huh? Why would you want such a thing? Well, if you've ever wanted to use one of our DACs with powered monitors, SYS puts the volume control right at hand. Same goes for using two sources with one of our headphone amps—use SYS to switch between a DAC and a phono preamp, for example.

And, you don't have to use SYS with our gear at all. It's a simple, high-quality, passive preamp that works with pretty much any line-level source.

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

We are in 2020, any suggestions using prehistoric mechanical rotary switches or potentiometers that audiophiles in the DIY community who refer this as high quality think again.   There are better options out there and one has already been mentioned. Mechanical switches and mechanical potentiometer regardless will all have a physical contact point that wears from day 1 as soon as you rotate that knob. 

Edited by Addicted to music

17 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

Think firstly of avoiding losses associated with contacts when passing audio signals. 

You can avoid contacts altogether by optical coupling, relying on the specifications provided with part NSL32SR3 

https://lunainc.com/product/optocouplers/

A wiping contact switch would most likely have less loss than RCA/banana plugs that never get unplugged and plugged, thus allowing the connection to suffer corrosion and such eroding away at the connection. Even better if those wiping contacts are silver plated and rejective of the effects of corrosion. 

With regard to the optical coupling, is it possible that this method could inject any digitalisation within a purely analogue set up?

2 hours ago, t_mike said:

A wiping contact switch would most likely have less loss than RCA/banana plugs that never get unplugged and plugged, thus allowing the connection to suffer corrosion and such eroding away at the connection. Even better if those wiping contacts are silver plated and rejective of the effects of corrosion. 

With regard to the optical coupling, is it possible that this method could inject any digitalisation within a purely analogue set up?

No , if these types are used  https://lunainc.com/product/optocouplers/

as the coupling is a variable resistance. 

There are poor ways of powering and good ways as explained here.

Resistance Minimum though is 60 ohms, and suggested would be the two op amp method of powering, explained in the latter part of my article and exampled showing powering a LED . you can then use a conventional switch to switch each anode in turn ON, then in OFF state, the resistance created, forms on the signal  side a contact-less switch.

There is then above 25 mega ohms, and then when back ON, approx 60- 100 ohms - which is normally of no consequence when transferring audio from one point to the next. 

Adding a shunt pair with suitable ratio to the series pair which are fully ON  to then form a L pad  similarly with another 2 op amps, will create total silence when music is not playing. all in in all a great solution, for most ground hum problems we see time and time again - for very minimal expenditure.