Ivanhoe

Advice for my next big upgrade - post fixed

Posted (edited)
After a bit of advice on a potential receiver upgrade.   

My current core set-up is:  
Receiver:   Primare SPA21
Speakers:  5.1 setup with Elac 204s + Sub 
Projector:  Vivitek HK2299 with 110 inch screen 
Players (current & legacy):   Sony 4k UBP-X700,  Fetch,  Foxtel,  AppleTV 4K,  Oppo 103 
Setup in a hybrid study / theatre room of 4 x 4.5 M 

The Primare is ancient - has great sound but feel like its getting left behind.  It has no HDMI inputs so video is feeding directly to the Vivitek via a simple 4K switch or via the Oppo.   With audio going separately via digital or optical connects to the Primare.  Fortunately have never had any sync issues but it does add to the complexity.   

So the options I am thinking through are:  
  • Bite the bullet and get new a receiver - like one of the higher-end Marantz's 
  • Perhaps leave the SPA21 in place as the Amplifier and just get an AV Processor 

Getting back into things, I wasn't thinking I would upgrade my speaker set-up but Atmos looks intriguing.  Not sure how it will work in my setup as all my speakers are currently already at ceiling height (except the sub of course).   So if I didn't add any new speakers is it still worth doing the receiver upgrade - or should I aim to do both together?  The room has double-layer sound-proof plasterboard so its not easy to cut through to lay new speaker cable.   

I am leaning to keeping things simple and just going with a new receiver at this stage.  Perhaps the Marantz 6014 or even 8012 if it is worth the differential.   Then maybe new speakers down the track.   

Edited by Ivanhoe
Posted early

Posted (edited)

How the heck do I delete this?   Was trying to tab content and ended up posting before I even started the post.   I cannot find delete anywhere - usually I can as the OP? 

*** ok fixed now 😌 *** 

Edited by Ivanhoe

If possible I would use Primare as a power amp and Marantz 6014 (if you like Marantz) as a processor and amp for optional atmos speakers. 

13 hours ago, Irek said:

If possible I would use Primare as a power amp and Marantz 6014 (if you like Marantz) as a processor and amp for optional atmos speakers. 

I hadn't thought about that combo - running the Atmos off the Receiver.   I am already essentially using the Primare as an amp for Blu-Ray off the Oppo - as it has more up-to-date surround processing. 

I think if you don't upgrade to dolby atmos it doesn't really make sense to get new receiver but if you do, than I would go with $2000 AVR + 2 in ceiling or up firing speakers + optionally second subwoofer. 5.2.2 system.