First time buying a TT, and it’s not for me...

Wife’s birthday is next month and she’s always wanted a turn table. She has this romantic idea about playing old thrift store records. 
My plan is to find a vintage TT/radio cabinet, restore it and install a modern TT for reliability and easy of use for her. 

Never bought a TT so don’t know where to begin. 

I’d like to stay under $300 and used is 100% fine. But what do I look for?

Reliability, durability and easy of use are the priorities. Sound quality doesn’t matter as much - as long as it isn’t shite.  This isn’t for critical listening to high priced pressings. 

Will be connected to AVR or Pre/Pro so MM only. Built in phono is also fine. 

If you're anywhere near Classic Hifi in Newtown, or Lofimusic in West Gosford, check out their websites for used tt's and give 'em a call.   Might cost a little more like $300-500 but they may give a limited (e.g. 90 day) warranty which could be a consideration.  I haven't dealt with either so see if anyone on this forum has any feedback on them as sellers.

Otherwise research some of the older entry level Technics models as these turn up on eBay fairly regularly e.g. Technics SL-23 (belt driven?), SL-D2 (direct drive?) etc.  Info and reviews at other forums if you hit up Google.

Note. none of those suggestions have built-in phono.

Ah..also remember to ask about age and condition of cartridge (cos' you don't want to be forking out for a new one too soon), service history. how many owners.  Good clean appearance in photos is a fair indication of whether the tt has been lightly used or thrashed and abused ?

Edited by 2Brix
  • Like 1

$300 budget I sincerely hope you manage to do it for that, vintage gear isn't cheap and neither is the modern stuff having said that you may get the cabinet for free I wish you the best of luck.

A WTB on here could prove to be handy.

• Like 1

Have a look round your local dealers for a new or used Project turntable. Should be plenty of bargains around at the moment given the lack of walk in buisness.

Buying new will get you a brand new cartridge and stylus so you won't have to fork out for them as you may have to do with a seconf hand purchase.

https://www.projectaudio.com.au/pages/find-a-store 

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 2

@Wood

if you can stretch a little and want something 100% ready to go this would be ideal. It has a built in phono stage and a cart pre fitted and I really doubt you can do any better than this, even buying used.

The other aspect to consider is that you will enjoy spinning records and perhaps wish to explore a little and the extra $99 would be the best money ever spent.

https://klappav.com.au/collections/turntables/products/mmf-1-3-turntable-black

Edited by rantan
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, rantan said:

@Wood

if you can stretch a little and want something 100% ready to go this would be ideal. It has a built in phono stage and a cart pre fitted and I really doubt you can do any better than this, even buying used.

The other aspect to consider is that you will enjoy spinning records and perhaps wish to explore a little and the extra $99 would be the best money ever spent.

https://klappav.com.au/collections/turntables/products/mmf-1-3-turntable-black

I really like the idea of getting a solid warranty. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you go ahead with that Music Hall tt please report back.

Cos' it's good to know if others are looking for an entry level deck without the hassles/lottery of chasing a used bargain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2Brix said:

If you go ahead with that Music Hall tt please report back.

Cos' it's good to know if others are looking for an entry level deck without the hassles/lottery of chasing a used bargain.

If I do, all I could say is it works.
Never used a TT in my life. Have absolutely no reference for what is good or bad. 

Well i think you can still comment on perceived value for money, perceived quality, smoothness of tonearm cue/tracking etc in the context of the price.

In terms of sound trust your own ears and don't be intimidated by "experts" on this or any forum.  

I'm sure you and your wife will have fun spinning some discs and that's the main thing. 

Cheers

2B

Edited by 2Brix
my por gramma

6 minutes ago, Wood said:

If I do, all I could say is it works.
Never used a TT in my life. Have absolutely no reference for what is good or bad. 

You may be surprised with yourself. Just one thing I would like to stress and which is really important. If you are buying LPs from op shops, please make sure that they are not scratched, scuffed, dirty or pitted. You will certainly regret it.

You don't need to have OCD about this, but just make sure the records are playable and clean. You can buy a carbon fibre brush from Ebay for around $10

• Like 6

Ah @Woodi found an article earlier which has some useful comments on the MH and some other tt's.  I think it refers to US pricing...so see what deals you can find locally and have a look n listen if you can spare the time

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-turntable-under-300-for-2020-audio-technica-pro-ject-fluance-and-more/

• Like 1

After doing some reading, I’ve re-evaluated the budget up a few hundred. 
The Pro-ject T1 is top contender at $540 on sale.

Anything better in this price bracket?

Edited by Wood

52 minutes ago, Tim D said:

I looked at those. The first one is a good option but not the right cabinet for WAF. 

4 hours ago, Wood said:

After doing some reading, I’ve re-evaluated the budget up a few hundred. 

Now you're getting the hang of it ?

4 hours ago, Wood said:

The Pro-ject T1 is top contender at $540 on sale.

Anything better in this price bracket?

That or Rega P1 perhaps.  Neither have built in phono? I don;t have experience with either but others on the forum will have.  Anyway draw up a short list of 3 (no more) then get out to a couple of stores and have a look n listen (COVID-19 restrictions permitting).

Honestly for you first tt and being for wife's birthday i'd go the decent new namebrand route.  Less tears, no recriminations ?

Edited by 2Brix
  • Like 1

Given the OP's original intent, I still think it is a good idea to get a completely  inclusive TT with cart fitted and a built in phono stage for effective plug'n play.  Below is a link to an SNA news article and a review of the Music Hall plug 'n play TTs

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/music-hall-delivers-turntables-for-budget-buyers

Edited by rantan
  • Like 2

Actually i agree, and either the mmf-1.3 as you well suggested for Wood's original budget or the next up mmf-1.5 (also having built in phono) would be solid contenders.  IMO think the -1.5 looks quite xxxy ? for RRP599

music-hall-mmf-1.5-turntable-9999.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wood said:

That’s classy. 

Sure is.

Music Hall turntables are seriously under rated at this ( or any ) price point up to $3K. I have heard several at a local dealer and I walked in as a sceptic and left as very impressed indeed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

Sure is.

Music Hall turntables are seriously under rated at this ( or any ) price point up to $3K. I have heard several at a local dealer and I walked in as a sceptic and left as very impressed indeed.

For $140 more I can get the Pro-ject T1. 

Would it be worth the extra outlay?

2 minutes ago, Wood said:

For $140 more I can get the Pro-ject T1. 

Would it be worth the extra outlay?

I would say no.

They are about as good as one another, but the reason why Music Hall is better value, is because it is not nearly as well known, so they are pricing it to get the brand on people's radars and in their homes.

Very under rated TTs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rantan said:

I would say no.

They are about as good as one another, but the reason why Music Hall is better value, is because it is not nearly as well known, so they are pricing it to get the brand on people's radars and in their homes.

Very under rated TTs.

Understood. Appreciate the advice. 

Hey @Wood i was just doing a little research out of curiosity....seems like no retailers over my way....but spied the mmf-1.5 for $499 ($100 below RRP) so will flick ya a PM shortly. 

Cheers, 2B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2Brix said:

Actually i agree, and either the mmf-1.3 as you well suggested for Wood's original budget or the next up mmf-1.5 (also having built in phono) would be solid contenders.  IMO think the -1.5 looks quite xxxy ? for RRP599

music-hall-mmf-1.5-turntable-9999.jpg

This... so many headaches would have been avoided on my vintage journey (as this would just ‘fit’).