Been running a Shure 97x with Jico sas for a while. Decided to swap it out for the original Stanton 681 black body that came with the TT in 1983 and a NOS EEE-2S stylus from a HiFi shop in Christchurch NZ a few years ago. (I have 2 armwands so it an easy swap. ) Boy the Stanton sounds fantastic.......... full bodied, bass, and wide sound stage, way outside the speakers. DEQX hdp-5 is working it’s magic with the room and 2 subs. Weston Acoustics and Aussie Vintage providing the power. A bottle of Pinot later and we are cranking. !!! 

607FC35D-F792-4616-B957-FB5D7A117DB6.jpeg

Edited by naggots
  • Like 5

Guest Mr Thorens

Back in the80s the Stanton 681 was the standard used at local commercial FM stations for dubbing tracks from LPs to carts, and also for live to air vinyl. It was broadcast standard at a time that SQ mattered on FM. 

I can vouch for the Stanton, I have an 881s with original stylus as well as a re-tipped Pickering D3000 (currently in use) and a NOS D4000. This is by far the best cartridge I have ever owned regardless of price and I have owned a few $$$$ MC's.

As long as I keep stylus's up to it I will never use another cartridge. 36dB separation is clearly audible with very wide sound stage.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

I can vouch for the Stanton, I have an 881s with original stylus as well as a re-tipped Pickering D3000 (currently in use) and a NOS D4000. This is by far the best cartridge I have ever owned regardless of price and I have owned a few $$$$ MC's.

As long as I keep stylus's up to it I will never use another cartridge. 36dB separation is clearly audible with very wide sound stage.

I have the NOS EEE-S and the one that came with the turntable EEE II-S both sound similar. Have you tied the LP gear SAS shibata version?

No have not used the LP gear. I am planning on buying a Jico D4500Q Shibata to try it out as I have not heard it and I can compare with the OEM Stanton Stereohedron (Shibata). I have a Stereohedron and Stereohedron II but I can't hear or measure the difference.

I also have a Technics EPC205 with Jico SAS/B which sounds very good but the 881s beats it although the 205 with the SAS is quieter.

• Like 1

Guest gnnett

FYI

https://kabusa.com/stantonx.htm

This makes very interesting reading. Is it suggesting even a lowly 880E, could use a CS100 (WOS100) replacement stylus?

Not sure you would want to, but I am looking for options for a new stylus for my 881s and this throws up some interesting options. 

Cheers 

Grant 

1 hour ago, gnnett said:

Not sure you would want to, but I am looking for options for a new stylus for my 881s and this throws up some interesting options. 

Cheers 

Grant 

I have seen that site it's a good reference.

If you have the original stylus then I can recommend this guy on eBay for re-tipping. I use one of his D3000 re-tips on my 881s and it is indistinguishable from the original 881 stylus.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cartridge-Retipping-Stanton-Pickering-Stereohedron-HZS-LZS-XLZ-XSV-881-981-681/183981132767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gnnett said:

FYI

https://kabusa.com/stantonx.htm

This makes very interesting reading. Is it suggesting even a lowly 880E, could use a CS100 (WOS100) replacement stylus?

Cheers 

Grant 

Can I suggest that if you have an original 880/881 and the stylus is worn, it would be better to get a re-tip done on this original assembly than buy a 3rd party replacement item.

That's what I did, anyway, when I bought a (used) WOS CS100 about 7 years ago.

The link that Warren gave is a good one.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I use 3 Stanton / Pickering carts 
Stanton 681 EEE with standard and Jico Shibata Stylus 

Pickering XSV 3000 - Equivalent to Stanton 881
Stanton 981 LZS with original stylus and a Jico Spherical Stylus 

Yes I also use a few other carts as well but the OP wants advice on Stanton 

Haven’t tried the LP gear fine line stylus but they have good reviews and priced fairly 

As I noted above that I have 2 Jico stylus and they have performed beautifully but are more expensive 

I will however buy the LP Gear fine line stylus next time around 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 1

Yeah the Stanton 881S/Pickering XSV3000 is a nice cartridge.

I've the top of the line Stanton 981HZS here and a couple of the low output Stanton/Pickerings. 

That said it's actually the Empire carts I go gaga for. The sound signature of the 2000E/III, 4000D/I, 1000ZE/X is all similar and quite magical. Have a fully rebuilt EDR.9 coming if it ever manages to leave the US. That said it's the Stanton / Pickerings that will track any record and better the Shures at their own game.

Another mate of mine was previously running a Stanton 881 with original stylus assembly though retipped with a ruby cantilever and micro ridge tip. He has recently sold the Stanton after trying an Empire 2000E/III and has since had a genuine red Empire stylus retipped.  It's testing at greater than 38db channel separation.  Pretty impressive.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Now I feel like I need one again. Had the 681eee for years. Best MM cart I’ve had. Shouldn’t have sold it. 

• 3 months later...
Guest Mr Thorens

Well I recently picked up a Pickering XV-15/625E. I originally bought one of these in 1985 before moving to a 681EEE which was at the time installed on a lowly Pioneer PL514. This was when I was young and had to save up all my supermarket earnings to buy the cart.  I held it until a few years ago when I caught the MC bug, and turned over several turntables in the meantime.  So I thought it would be interesting to go back in time. 

The XV-15 is the same body as the Stanton 681. Stylus is equivalent to 681EE I believe. Mounted it up on the current Technics SP10 and... wow. Best MM cart sound I’ve heard for a long time, and I’ve been through a few, some not cheap. EG AT, Goldring, Ortofon, Shelter, Gold Note, Nagaoka, Rega, Garrott. After each attempt with MM carts recently I’ve gone back to the Ortofon MC because it was more natural and had better extension. 

But it now with the Pickering back on board, it’s given me that sound I’ve been missing. A very wide and deep soundstage, delicacy, deep bass but what I’ve missed with the MCs is that body and warmth. Probably not quite as detailed as the Ortofon MC but very enjoyable, dynamic and open, and still the best MM cart I’ve heard. The only one I’ve had similar experience with was the Garrott P77. And just as I needed a new stylus, managed to find a new 625DJ stylus (2004 NOS), which is doing a few hours now. 

Edited by Mr Thorens

I really enjoy mine. I’m using the. Parks Audio Puffin. The dsp rumble filter is very handy for my sub. Playing the same Albert King songs on Vinyl and digital reveals how dynamic vinyl is. Other than that they sound very similar. 

Guest Mr Thorens

I have found locally some Pickering/ Stanton stylii that are genuine originals. At Holden Hill Music in Adelaide. They are looking to move them on. 

The orange ones are D1507 which fit the V-15 and Stanton 500 series. The red ones are 150DJ which fit the XV-15. 

06D331E7-619D-4199-BB1F-D4EBF3024F36.jpeg

BEE9D118-5296-47BF-AFF6-59EE98E5A546.jpeg

F2D1C9E4-C23E-435A-8DCC-81CFFAD4EA26.jpeg