Hulgich Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Hulgich Audio by @HA_Nick and Göran Niréus, based in Adelaide. They are currently not that well known but are highly regarded on SNA and within small audiophile circles. So I am creating this thread to call on all Hulgich fans to share their love with the wider community.

If I could describe them in one sentence it would be a speaker that is bang on neutral with nothing out of place. I know of a few audiophiles who spent years listening and owning different speakers, only to settle on Hulgich as their endgame.

Please share your photos and own thoughts about Hulgich speakers.

Here are my Hulgich Duke speakers:

_DSC3335.thumb.JPG.d3b6e9f863cdafd8517555dfa1b66456.JPG

_DSC3336.thumb.JPG.95597ca4e560ecc6c101e0daa9c38745.JPG

_DSC3333.thumb.JPG.760cc7d4ae5dea0012f774dde6fefa66.JPG

_DSC3339.thumb.JPG.4afb7ceeeb0d80c9653a3a48fdc48410.JPG

Live long and prosper 🤘

I've read some review on them but it's nice to read from someone who actually owns a pair. Aren't they a bit boomy in the mid bass that close to the corners? If not, they're probably a good choice for small-ish rooms.

BTW, not a fan of white or light timbers normally but this combination just seems to work. Very nice looking speakers.

16 hours ago, Pim said:

I've read some review on them but it's nice to read from someone who actually owns a pair. Aren't they a bit boomy in the mid bass that close to the corners? If not, they're probably a good choice for small-ish rooms.

BTW, not a fan of white or light timbers normally but this combination just seems to work. Very nice looking speakers.

Being front ported makes them easier to place, they are not boomy and are actually almost ruler flat on my measurements. I haven't had any guests nitpick about the bass, although they have nitpicked about my small room :) 

For the Duke model, Nick recommends a minimum of 2.4m between the speakers and 0.6m from the walls. In my room they are 2.5m apart, 0.75m from the side wall and 1.1m from the front wall. Couch is placed at 1/3rd of the room with a listening distance of 2.68m.

His black fronts are definitely more popular, but both my wife and I thought the white fronts suits our interior better.

Great picks man. i wouldnt call your room small. mid size. mine on the other hand - once i get my Duke will be in a odd shape small room.

On 24/05/2020 at 4:37 AM, genkifd said:

Great picks man. i wouldnt call your room small. mid size. mine on the other hand - once i get my Duke will be in a odd shape small room.

Be sure to post pictures when you get them, yours would look even better with the magnetic grilles.

You're right about room size, according to this at least (https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size) 60 m3 is considered medium. It does feel small with the big Dukes though.

Like ive indicated a number of times - in the flesh the Dukes look much bigger than in photos.

seems that you have enjoying music.

Currently renovating my house as we speak.

• Administrators

Adding here for reference:

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-astor-loudspeakers

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-serenade-loudspeakers

Loved my time with the Astors and I would have them over again were I looking for a insane value high-end floorstanding speaker.

_dsc1864__large_full.jpg

24 minutes ago, Marc said:

Adding here for reference:

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-astor-loudspeakers

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-serenade-loudspeakers

Loved my time with the Astors and I would have them over again were I looking for a insane value high-end floorstanding speaker.

_dsc1864__large_full.jpg

Hey they're mine! 😄

Appreciate the endorsement and I can only add that the sky is the limit with using high level of equipment to try and extract their true potential!

I'm getting very close and pinch myself every day,  how fortunate I am in owning them. 

Honestly they go so deep down into virtually sub bass territory it can be scary, and some of the best mid I've heard. 

Look good with the grills on or off. 

Serenade, Ella, Duke , they all would be an asset for many high end systems.

Few pics in their current home, sure many have seen them already - but for those that haven't . 

20200408_093144.thumb.jpg.f617a61d6e1215ae4460b31bc738d8aa.jpg

20191017_165752.thumb.jpg.33f03b410c687d8c7f36ad4ed97eac51.jpg

15 minutes ago, evil c said:

Hey they're mine! 😄

Appreciate the endorsement and I can only add that the sky is the limit with using high level of equipment to try and extract their true potential!

I'm getting very close and pinch myself every day,  how fortunate I am in owning them. 

Honestly they go so deep down into virtually sub bass territory it can be scary, and some of the best mid I've heard. 

Look good with the grills on or off. 

Serenade, Ella, Duke , they all would be an asset for many high end systems.

Few pics in their current home, sure many have seen them already - but for those that haven't . 

20200408_093144.thumb.jpg.f617a61d6e1215ae4460b31bc738d8aa.jpg

20191017_165752.thumb.jpg.33f03b410c687d8c7f36ad4ed97eac51.jpg

The speakers don't look aligned to me, is that a new audiophile fad?

21 minutes ago, Standards said:

The speakers don't look aligned to me, is that a new audiophile fad?

Thanks but I don't do "fads" - but I do employ known formulas and calibration with my ears.

It is an illusion due to the rack being set back further than the entertainment console.

The speakers are set at 85cm and 77cm from back wall, due to my seating position being slightly off central and both are exactly 270cm away from my seat.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, evil c said:

Thanks but I don't do "fads" - but I do employ known formulas and calibration with my ears.

It is an illusion due to the rack being set back further than the entertainment console.

The speakers are set at 85cm and 77cm from back wall, due to my seating position being slightly off central and both are exactly 270cm away from my seat.

Nice, thanks for your response :) 

Still a sick optical illusion though.

Edited by Standards
Just now, Standards said:

Nice, thanks for your response :) 

Still a good optical illusion.

I fully understand it mightn't look aligned properly,  however with the huge amount of wiring and cables to fit so many components - I decided to allow room behind the entertainment unit to access and brought it forward. 

Believe me,  I have tinkered with the distances and am very happy with how it sounds and looks. 😊

evil c - very nice. what size is your room?

curious. have you ever plugged the elektra amp into your speakers? if you have how does it sound?

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Anyone got an Ella Mk II?

Yes.  I’ve got them 

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...