Hulgich Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Hulgich Audio by @HA_Nick and Göran Niréus, based in Adelaide. They are currently not that well known but are highly regarded on SNA and within small audiophile circles. So I am creating this thread to call on all Hulgich fans to share their love with the wider community.

If I could describe them in one sentence it would be a speaker that is bang on neutral with nothing out of place. I know of a few audiophiles who spent years listening and owning different speakers, only to settle on Hulgich as their endgame.

Please share your photos and own thoughts about Hulgich speakers.

Here are my Hulgich Duke speakers:

_DSC3335.thumb.JPG.d3b6e9f863cdafd8517555dfa1b66456.JPG

_DSC3336.thumb.JPG.95597ca4e560ecc6c101e0daa9c38745.JPG

_DSC3333.thumb.JPG.760cc7d4ae5dea0012f774dde6fefa66.JPG

_DSC3339.thumb.JPG.4afb7ceeeb0d80c9653a3a48fdc48410.JPG

Live long and prosper 🤘

• Like 9
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hulgich Audio by @HA_Nick and Göran Niréus, based in Adelaide. They are currently not that well known but are highly regarded on SNA and within small audiophile circles. So I am creating this thread t

Is an incredible centre channel designed exclusively for the Astor's Here are some memories...  

I've read some review on them but it's nice to read from someone who actually owns a pair. Aren't they a bit boomy in the mid bass that close to the corners? If not, they're probably a good choice for small-ish rooms.

BTW, not a fan of white or light timbers normally but this combination just seems to work. Very nice looking speakers.

16 hours ago, Pim said:

I've read some review on them but it's nice to read from someone who actually owns a pair. Aren't they a bit boomy in the mid bass that close to the corners? If not, they're probably a good choice for small-ish rooms.

BTW, not a fan of white or light timbers normally but this combination just seems to work. Very nice looking speakers.

Being front ported makes them easier to place, they are not boomy and are actually almost ruler flat on my measurements. I haven't had any guests nitpick about the bass, although they have nitpicked about my small room :) 

For the Duke model, Nick recommends a minimum of 2.4m between the speakers and 0.6m from the walls. In my room they are 2.5m apart, 0.75m from the side wall and 1.1m from the front wall. Couch is placed at 1/3rd of the room with a listening distance of 2.68m.

His black fronts are definitely more popular, but both my wife and I thought the white fronts suits our interior better.

• Like 1

Great picks man. i wouldnt call your room small. mid size. mine on the other hand - once i get my Duke will be in a odd shape small room.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 4:37 AM, genkifd said:

Great picks man. i wouldnt call your room small. mid size. mine on the other hand - once i get my Duke will be in a odd shape small room.

Be sure to post pictures when you get them, yours would look even better with the magnetic grilles.

You're right about room size, according to this at least (https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size) 60 m3 is considered medium. It does feel small with the big Dukes though.

Like ive indicated a number of times - in the flesh the Dukes look much bigger than in photos.

seems that you have enjoying music.

Currently renovating my house as we speak.

• Administrators

Adding here for reference:

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-astor-loudspeakers

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-serenade-loudspeakers

Loved my time with the Astors and I would have them over again were I looking for a insane value high-end floorstanding speaker.

_dsc1864__large_full.jpg

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Marc said:

Adding here for reference:

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-astor-loudspeakers

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-hulgich-audio-serenade-loudspeakers

Loved my time with the Astors and I would have them over again were I looking for a insane value high-end floorstanding speaker.

_dsc1864__large_full.jpg

Hey they're mine! 😄

Appreciate the endorsement and I can only add that the sky is the limit with using high level of equipment to try and extract their true potential!

I'm getting very close and pinch myself every day,  how fortunate I am in owning them. 

Honestly they go so deep down into virtually sub bass territory it can be scary, and some of the best mid I've heard. 

Look good with the grills on or off. 

Serenade, Ella, Duke , they all would be an asset for many high end systems.

Few pics in their current home, sure many have seen them already - but for those that haven't . 

20200408_093144.thumb.jpg.f617a61d6e1215ae4460b31bc738d8aa.jpg

20191017_165752.thumb.jpg.33f03b410c687d8c7f36ad4ed97eac51.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, evil c said:

Hey they're mine! 😄

Appreciate the endorsement and I can only add that the sky is the limit with using high level of equipment to try and extract their true potential!

I'm getting very close and pinch myself every day,  how fortunate I am in owning them. 

Honestly they go so deep down into virtually sub bass territory it can be scary, and some of the best mid I've heard. 

Look good with the grills on or off. 

Serenade, Ella, Duke , they all would be an asset for many high end systems.

Few pics in their current home, sure many have seen them already - but for those that haven't . 

20200408_093144.thumb.jpg.f617a61d6e1215ae4460b31bc738d8aa.jpg

20191017_165752.thumb.jpg.33f03b410c687d8c7f36ad4ed97eac51.jpg

The speakers don't look aligned to me, is that a new audiophile fad?

21 minutes ago, Standards said:

The speakers don't look aligned to me, is that a new audiophile fad?

Thanks but I don't do "fads" - but I do employ known formulas and calibration with my ears.

It is an illusion due to the rack being set back further than the entertainment console.

The speakers are set at 85cm and 77cm from back wall, due to my seating position being slightly off central and both are exactly 270cm away from my seat.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, evil c said:

Thanks but I don't do "fads" - but I do employ known formulas and calibration with my ears.

It is an illusion due to the rack being set back further than the entertainment console.

The speakers are set at 85cm and 77cm from back wall, due to my seating position being slightly off central and both are exactly 270cm away from my seat.

Nice, thanks for your response :) 

Still a sick optical illusion though.

Edited by Standards
  • Like 1
Just now, Standards said:

Nice, thanks for your response :) 

Still a good optical illusion.

I fully understand it mightn't look aligned properly,  however with the huge amount of wiring and cables to fit so many components - I decided to allow room behind the entertainment unit to access and brought it forward. 

Believe me,  I have tinkered with the distances and am very happy with how it sounds and looks. 😊

• Like 1

evil c - very nice. what size is your room?

curious. have you ever plugged the elektra amp into your speakers? if you have how does it sound?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Hulgich Astors are the best part of my system.

74C7A132-E1D0-4BDF-8CCD-0A606B2755EC.jpeg

8668ADB2-3C95-437D-80AE-BB1656B3C583.jpeg

Well you need to elevate things to extract their true potential! :laugh:

What are you currently running them with, Mike?

Bit hard to see from your pic .

So do you usually listen to them with the grill covers on?

I often run mine with the top covers off, less effect on the bass bin I've found so leave it on.

Looks like the Hulgich centre speaker there too.

15 minutes ago, evil c said:

Well you need to elevate things to extract their true potential! :laugh:

What are you currently running them with, Mike?

Haha. This was pre-outriggers if you mean physical height. 🙃

Elektra Ref HD for power. Then DEQX HDP-5 covers the rest: DAC, Roon streaming, pre, sub integration (Rel T9i’s) and eq. Ether regen ordered.

Deciding between this set up and Elektra Pnyx pre, SOTM Ultra for streaming to Qutest DAC.  Or, upgrading some of the components.

My wife suggested giving you centre speaker because it goes with the black and lives in a cupboard!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Haha. This was pre-outriggers if you mean physical height. 🙃

Elektra Ref HD for power. Then DEQX HDP-5 covers the rest: DAC, Roon streaming, pre, sub integration (Rel T9i’s) and eq. Ether regen ordered.

Deciding between this set up and Elektra Pnyx pre, SOTM Ultra for streaming to Qutest DAC.  Or, upgrading some of the components.

My wife suggested giving you centre speaker because it goes with the black and lives in a cupboard!

LOL,  you know what I meant!

Sub integration??

These surely don't need any of that, short of in home theatre mode! 🤔

NetherRegions huh?

Nice, I'm loving Roon too myself. 

Happy to acquiesce to your good wife's  wishes, a struggle to fit but I'll manage it somehow! 😉 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, HA_Nick said:

Is an incredible centre channel

Incredible indeed. Fond memories.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Let's hope we can do similar one day soon!

The room is very different since back then.

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

Let's hope we can do similar one day soon!

The room is very different since back then.

115/5000

I am sure that better times will come soon and of course I will be ready for the occasion. Looking forward for that day and thank you once again for the invitation. Cheers

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Still the best looking HA speaker IMO.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Marc said:

Still the best looking HA speaker IMO.

I’m not one to argue with that statement! ;)

Here are a couple more pics .

Recently changed the shorting plates between the speakers posts to some Nordost Norse 2 jumper cables and improved things noticeably.

@HA_Nick believe you have better terminal plates available, we discussed a while back?

138D529E-A6D0-45C9-8AFA-27425DC24E5F.jpeg

0AFEE4D7-76BF-4C2E-A50B-08600164553D.jpeg

0A11A888-05A6-4C5D-9BA6-65AD738B2017.jpeg

DF1F867D-1A0B-441C-B7AE-DD5DF96A96FF.jpeg

DAF77982-296A-483D-9AFC-E55D733CA2A3.jpeg

20201026_143908.jpg

Edited by evil c
  • Like 4

Is there a pricelist anywhere? I googled the name for the website and didn't see any prices there. This is a bugbear of mine, when retail and real estate don't list a damned price. What's the point?!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Is there a pricelist anywhere? I googled the name for the website and didn't see any prices there. This is a bugbear of mine, when retail and real estate don't list a damned price. What's the point?!

The point is you take the time to ring and speak to the Aussie bloke who makes them

From previous experience in real estate - its usually a tactic to see how much you can get away with, or to get a buyer to make contact for a bait and switch.

I dont think this happens in Audio

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gryffles said:

The point is you take the time to ring and speak to the Aussie bloke who makes them

Or not bother because the prospective buyer doesn't even know if they're in their price range.

This isn't a knock on Nick (and I have told him that by PM, as he messaged me about prices) but I don't see why you wouldn't advertise the price? This goes for any retailer. I have the same problem with how more than half the properties advertised are "poa" or "expression of interest ", or something similar. Just give me sn idea so I can not waste time ringing up to only find out it's way out of my price range.

Anyway, this is off topic so I won't continue.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

From previous experience in real estate - its usually a tactic to see how much you can get away with, or to get a buyer to make contact for a bait and switch.

I dont think this happens in Audio

It drives me up the wall and I just ignore those ads. If you have a price range in mind, you look for stuff in that range. I don't recall seeing much of it in audio either. If you're selling a product, I don't see the point of not advertising the price, unless you're trying to hide it from competitors or something.

Anyway, like I said, I've made the point so will leave it at that.

• Like 1

@Esoterica

Aim for the Hulgich Nina speakers, believe they're less expensive! 😉

I expect @HA_Nick has had to contend with a crazy period this year like many businesses.