Cool Cheap Cable lifters

2 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

For even more improvement, you can stick these on all the components inside your gear.

stickers.jpg.2e0db78abb417b0ac929d247f3c27727.jpg

I'll get back to my Tullamore Dew now...

Do you have some spare ones you would like to sell?

Actually I think the OP's risers are a great idea for people with suspended wooden floors. After you have them all laid out, instead of putting the cables on them, you could install reo mesh and concrete over the top.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Willco said:

Saw these at Bunnings yesterday--pks of 20 or 100  :S!

Just the ticket to  get those pesky lines off the tarmac without busting the Bank ha!

Willco

cable lifts.jpg

Bunnings.jpg

An excellent idea - and cheap to experiment with.  :thumb:

4 hours ago, needlerunner said:

On a serious note. Can you actually hear a difference with cables off the ground? I'm all for cable upgrades, but I'm a bit sceptical on this one.

I can't visualize how if you had good quality shielded cable, why you would need to do this. Or am l missing something here?

And what if your speaker cable is laying on carpet? Would that not negate the concrete thing anyway? And don't these so called cable raises have to made from wood?

Yep, l know, another round of back and forths.?

Cable risers (whether it's for spkr cables, interconnects or power cables) is such an off-the-wall topic that you will never get a unanimous vote.

So you need to try it out yourself - at $11.50 ... that's a cheap experiment!  :)

And no, I don't think they must be made of wood (that's even more off the wall!!  :) ).

Andy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Do you have some spare ones you would like to sell?

Actually I have gone with the free ones you get when you buy fresh fruit these days. The organic ones seem so much more...... well, organic.

• Haha 1

Funnily enough I actually do use them!  Not for soundQ improvement but so I don’t accidentally step on my cables and to place some physical separation bt power and signal cables. As the OP said , cheap as. 

8857588F-B8F5-49B0-950F-8A756D93B5CB.jpeg

B872B601-59FD-4BC6-BF08-7D9477C1066F.jpeg

Edited by frankn
Clarity
  • Like 3

Haha I can barely look at those sideways photos for a few seconds...without getting a sore neck...

So frankn – you found no improvement in sound from using them?

Cheers

On 22/05/2020 at 11:49 AM, Willco said:

Just the ticket to  get those pesky lines off the tarmac without busting the Bank ha!

You stole my idea, but will they work because they are not rhodium plated. ?

On 22/05/2020 at 5:16 PM, needlerunner said:

On a serious note. Can you actually hear a difference with cables off the ground? I'm all for cable upgrades, but I'm a bit sceptical on this one.

I can't visualize how if you had good quality shielded cable, why you would need to do this. Or am l missing something here?

And what if your speaker cable is laying on carpet? Would that not negate the concrete thing anyway? And don't these so called cable raises have to made from wood?

Yep, l know, another round of back and forths.?

On 30/05/2020 at 6:21 PM, frankn said:

Funnily enough I actually do use them!  Not for soundQ improvement but so I don’t accidentally step on my cables and to place some physical separation bt power and signal cables. As the OP said , cheap as.

I remember when I first heard of this in the early 90's, the idea was to move the speaker cables away from the power cables (especially if you had to run them in parallel). I've only ever found a noticeable effect when powering 240v (or 440v) equipment on and off - had a halon explosion in a computer room in the 80's due to wiring in parallel. Never saw the need for it in sound equipment. But then I'd rather have the cables under the carpet (and Mrs CE put the foot down - "what are these 5-inch humps in the carpet?!?").

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why not take your speaker cables in another direction - down, rather than up. 
Drill two holes in your floorboards, and hand the cable under the floor.  Will require some excavation for those with concrete slab homes. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On 22/05/2020 at 6:47 PM, bob_m_54 said:

For even more improvement, you can stick these on all the components inside your gear.

stickers.jpg.2e0db78abb417b0ac929d247f3c27727.jpg

I'll get back to my Tullamore Dew now...

Not sure I get this, could you run it Bybee again?

• Haha 2