Active speakers for under $1000 or stuff it and grab an amp?

Hi all

I'm in the market for some new bookshelf speakers that can be used with my TT setup (Rega Planar 2 and Schiit Mani).

Space is at a premium so was looking for active bookshelf speakers that also have bluetooth capability so the kids and wife can stream Spotify etc.

Budget is at around $1000 and under so I've been looking at Klipsch and Audioengine at the moment. But am now also thinking maybe it's just easier to grab an amp and keep an eye out for some good second hand alternatives (although not ideal given the space premium I'm working with and the desire for bluetooth from the wife).

Interested to hear what others in a similar situation have gone for and why. 

Thanks muchly.

• Love 1

Hi! if you grab and amp and 2nd hand speakers might get you a better system but it would be more expensive and take up more space? Maybe consider that if you've a 'preferred' sound? Having said that you want bluetooth streaming, then you might have fewer choices on the amp or need another piece of kit. 

If me, I would consider active speakers like Kanto YU-series or Audioengine. 

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy whatever you buy. 

• Like 2

Guest DrSK

Consider when you are buying a pair of active speakers with streaming you are actually getting 2 speakers, 2 mono amps, 2 networking devices and 2 mono DACs, none of which are independently upgradeable. 

Then consider the price you are paying. Depending on viewpoint this may be good value or highlight the likely quality of these items.

There are other ways to stream into a better amp. 

And depending on kids and partners requirements. A basic mono setup may be all they need. Our kids and my wife each have a single Sonos One for bedroom/kitchen. 

Edited by DrSK

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/clearance-items/klipsch-the-three-luxury-copper-timber-stereo-tabletop-system-with-phono.html

I haven't listened to this but might be a good deal and solution for you with inbuilt phono and bluetooth. KISS principle and you could sell the Mani and buy lots more records. If its easy to use everyone will use it more.

• Like 1

Consider sound studio monitor actives like Yamaha HS8 and similar which can be very punchy and dynamic sounding.

Used separate options like Monitor Audio Bronz for $300 plus suitable integrated power amp for around $300 can be very good also (Rotel, NAD, Audiolab, Mission Cyrus etc)

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Al.M said:

Consider sound studio monitor actives like Yamaha HS8 and similar which can be very punchy and dynamic sounding.

Used separate options like Monitor Audio Bronz for $300 plus suitable integrated power amp for around $300 can be very good also (Rotel, NAD, Audiolab, Mission Cyrus etc)

I'm really liking these suggestions. Gonna keep my eye out for these. Cheers.

I heard this system at the last hifi show (i think?) and was impressed, active speakers with inbuilt dac, aux inputs, bluetooth & turntable. Looked great in white.

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-triangle-turntable-elara-ln01a-speaker-pack

Seems to be available at a couple of places discounted to just over $1000. (Selby and KlappAV) probably hard to go wrong at this price for a complete system

• Like 1

i had a pair of Yamaha NXN500 before which i was really impressed by. Available for well under your budget too. The quality of streaming directly also seemed much better than my chromecast. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dlineham said:

The SNA Speakers audition list looks to suggest "Audioengine HD6 active $960"

I hope this helps you :)

Thanks for this. Yep, I've been looking into the HD6, not a heap of places seem to stock them though so hard to pin down an audition! 

@toiletduck

This looks to be in Sydney if that helps ?

It looks like when you google they are sold by Computer stores more as well, Not sure if that means they are better options out there or not though.

https://www.apollohifi.com.au/speakers/bluetooth-speakers/audioengine-hd6-active-speakers-black.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwr32BRD4ARIsAAJNf_0Rk2AEUSTJ0pr-bzq_2cZWaOHQKwbOVujjQISG7vweE9Ll73BVfSIaAn2PEALw_wcB

Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, toiletduck said:

Ended up grabbing a pair of active HD6 for a good price. L

Reckon I need some stands to get a bit more out of them but loving the sound and convenience so far! 

Awesome to hear, Did you order online ?

I quite like the idea of active and wouldn't mind a pair, Could you PM me the place ?

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 8:12 PM, dlineham said:

Awesome to hear, Did you order online ?

I quite like the idea of active and wouldn't mind a pair, Could you PM me the place ?

Also very interested in a pair! Curious on the price too. If it's the right number I mahy need to pull the trigger.

I saw a pair of Audioengine HD6's from an ebay seller here in Sydney a week ago, but was too slow to buy them for myself. Hopefully you were the lucky one that grabbed them?

If you get the chance please post your listening impressions... I'm in the market for something similar and would love to hear thoughts!

On 21/05/2020 at 2:51 PM, toiletduck said:

Hi all

I'm in the market for some new bookshelf speakers that can be used with my TT setup (Rega Planar 2 and Schiit Mani).

Space is at a premium so was looking for active bookshelf speakers that also have bluetooth capability so the kids and wife can stream Spotify etc.

Budget is at around $1000 and under so I've been looking at Klipsch and Audioengine at the moment. But am now also thinking maybe it's just easier to grab an amp and keep an eye out for some good second hand alternatives (although not ideal given the space premium I'm working with and the desire for bluetooth from the wife).

Interested to hear what others in a similar situation have gone for and why. 

Thanks muchly.

If looking for active speakers, your best bet is to a PRO AUDIO store, somewhere like Turramurra music, Sound Devices, Manny's etc all have stores in Sydney.

You'd have a lot more options, and it's more than likely that they will have the speakers on demo as well .

Most of the really small active speakers are designed more for nearfield monitoring, since I don't know the size of the room you intend to place the speakers in, I can't really give you any recommendations, but generally any active speakers with at least a 5"mid/bass unit should be fine unless the music you play needs to be very loud and with a lot of Bass.

Here's a link to Manny's in Sydney and the range of active speakers they carry, there should be something there to suit, just read the specs to narrow a few down.

https://www.mannys.com.au/studio-gear/studio-monitors

Once you have gone through the Manny's site and narrowed a few speakers down to audition, you might [probably will] find a very well done demo of that speaker on YouTube by Digital Stereophony.

Have a good set of headphones on and listen to the demo's, he usually uses the same track list for each demo, starting with the signal direct from source, then from the speaker you might be interested in, usually against another speakers in the same size/price range, the demo songs switch between the 3 several times on each track, so it's quite easy to hear the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-MKyxKdanxpOBTx8wiY1w

I recently bought a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud MTM active speakers.

These have built in DSP and come with calibrations mics, I'd recommend them to you but I don't think they would fit your brief as they don't have Blutooth, I know if you visit the Manny's site and see them listed there they would seem outside your budget anyway, but if they do prehaps interest you, there is a Stereo.net commercial partner that I was put onto that will do a lot better price delivered ?

PM if interested.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tweaky said:

If looking for active speakers, your best bet is to a PRO AUDIO store, somewhere like Turramurra music, Sound Devices, Manny's etc all have stores in Sydney.

You'd have a lot more options, and it's more than likely that they will have the speakers on demo as well .

Most of the really small active speakers are designed more for nearfield monitoring, since I don't know the size of the room you intend to place the speakers in, I can't really give you any recommendations, but generally any active speakers with at least a 5"mid/bass unit should be fine unless the music you play needs to be very loud and with a lot of Bass.

Here's a link to Manny's in Sydney and the range of active speakers they carry, there should be something there to suit, just read the specs to narrow a few down.

https://www.mannys.com.au/studio-gear/studio-monitors

Once you have gone through the Manny's site and narrowed a few speakers down to audition, you might [probably will] find a very well done demo of that speaker on YouTube by Digital Stereophony.

Have a good set of headphones on and listen to the demo's, he usually uses the same track list for each demo, starting with the signal direct from source, then from the speaker you might be interested in, usually against another speakers in the same size/price range, the demo songs switch between the 3 several times on each track, so it's quite easy to hear the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-MKyxKdanxpOBTx8wiY1w

I recently bought a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud MTM active speakers.

These have built in DSP and come with calibrations mics, I'd recommend them to you but I don't think they would fit your brief as they don't have Blutooth, I know if you visit the Manny's site and see them listed there they would seem outside your budget anyway, but if they do prehaps interest you, there is a Stereo.net commercial partner that I was put onto that will do a lot better price delivered ?

PM if interested.

If the OP is still in the market for active speakers, then I totally agree with the process Tweaky stepped out above. I've learned lots, and have had a lot of fun, with the guys at Manny's / StoreDJ!