Foxtel iQ4 vs Foxtel Now - massive cost difference

I have multi-room with an IQ2 and an iQ3. – thinking about upgrading both to the iQ4.  But now I also have a decent FTTC NBN connection consistently running at around 45 Mbps.  So I looked at the Foxtel Now streaming. I can get essentially the same content on NOW (Essentials and Sport) for $54 pm – whereas with multi-room etc I am currently paying $117 for the satelite service! 

So more than double the cost and the only discernable difference is the 4K content - if I upgrade to the iQ4?  Seems a ridiculous price differential.  Am I missing anything?   Be curious to hear from anyone who is on Foxtel Now and what your experience is like.   

I use Foxtel Now, and the video quality of the stream is not really up to scratch. It's a lot worse than Netflix, despite the cost which is a lot more than Netflix and I only get two packages.

If you want 4K quality you have to go with the iQ4.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone supports Murdoch and his media.

With my IQ4 I do enjoy watching the F1 (when it's on) in 4K.

I don't really feel I'm supporting anything or anyone, just simply buying a product\service that I want for the money asked.

I've never really thought of it being complicated or political.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pwstereo said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone supports Murdoch and his media.

I do have some sympathy with that view but its not like they only carry Fox news - they have CNN, BBC etc.   And you can take solace in the fact that Foxtel is losing them bucketloads of $$$.   

• 1 month later...

I Hvae IQ4 and the only reason I haven't gone to Kayo,  Foxtel Now or Binge is that I channel surf a lot, especially with the sports channels. I have tried Kayo and hated changing in between sports channels, as you need to exit the programme you are wtaching.  So, it's purely a viewing experience that is keeping me on the IQ4, as i'm a sports junkie.

With the money that we pay for the IQ4 service, instead of being offered Foxtel Go, which does not have Apps on Apple TV, Telstra TV and other streaming devices, we should be given access to Kayo and Binge to watch when not at home in front of the IQ4 box. Foxtel have been promising more access for Foxtel Go for years and they just don't care.

My only solace is that I have rung up to get cheaper pricing and they obliged pretty quickly, once threatened to cancel the service

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 4:29 PM, NoCoder said:

So, it's purely a viewing experience that is keeping me on the IQ4, as i'm a sports junkie.

I think I am in the same boat.  The rest of the family are happy enough to stream - often rather be on foxtel go via a laptop in bed than on the big screen with the foxtel box.   But I find I do a lot of fast forwarding of sport - especially rugby union with the stoppages - and with games I don't care about as much, will often scan forward at 6 or 12x.   This is probably the biggest thing holding me back from switching to pure streaming.     

I'm not on a great deal so I think I will need to go in prepared to cancel.  

Edited by Ivanhoe