breaking on to the hifi audio scene

What's going on audiophiles?

Justin here. Just submitted my PhD thesis in cancer research and have found myself with a bit more time and money on my hands from full time work.

Music has been a treat on Friday nights after a long week and I'm looking to take my listening experience up a notch from my Logitech computer speakers (which I have actually drilled for over 10 years).

I have also inherited two vinyl decks with mixer from my older brother and a wicked music room / space to use it. I want to get the full use of them buy upgrading my amps, speakers and sub-woofers and starting my vinyl collection.

Look forward to chatting to you all,

Justin

Consider refurb'd vintage gear. You should get better sound from a refurb'd sansui, luxman,,, than for a new purchase of same value though a spearate phono stage would be a step up though at a cost. Not a big fan of SW's. Welcome btw...

• Thanks 1

I came from Logitech computer speakers, then grabbed some Richter Harliquin Mkll's and a little EL84 amp, then some low powered Sansui integrateds (AU-555 & AU-505), and that started me off.

What are the TT's? Technics?

• Thanks 1

You could do worse than a pair of active speakers and using them with your mixer and turntable combo.

The mixer won't be very hi-fi if it's a DJ type mixer, but if it's a broadcast or recording mixer it might be better.

• Thanks 1

Welcome and congrats on completing your thesis!

As @warweary said, budget and room layout/size is important.

Are you also looking to set up the gear for learning to mix/DJ, or purely for listening purposes?  If it's the former, you really want to get a pair of speakers up at ear height. You can always add other speakers elsewhere in the room, although a set of powered 8" studio monitors can pump out some serious sound subject to your room size.

I run a pair of ART passive studio monitors from Canada with a 90wpc Sansui amp in a 6m x 4m room and they play clean and loud (more bass of the "tight and deep" variety would be great, but my neighbours wouldn't agree!)

decks.png.1475abbc818662a1db38d2f0db7ec96c.png

If you are intending to play records and either sit down and actively listen, or jump around the room like a madman (or perhaps somewhere in between?) then you don't need a monitoring-style setup.

2 hours ago, pwstereo said:

The mixer won't be very hi-fi if it's a DJ type mixer

All depends which brand/model... some sound very good indeed, but some are decidedly average and not particularly transparent.

@Dr.hifi what brand/model is the mixer?

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@pete_mac  There's systems that look cluttered and just too much for their provided space(quite a few on regular display here) and then there's yours which is utilitarian, clean and spartan in a marvellous way. Well done Pete, it really is a credit to you.

@ the OP, you'll go a long long way before you'll find more knowledge and sensible sound(pun intended) advice than what you'll get from P.Mac.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Luc said:

@pete_mac  There's systems that look cluttered and just too much for their provided space(quite a few on regular display here) and then there's yours which is utilitarian, clean and spartan in a marvellous way. Well done Pete, it really is a credit to you.

Hehe... you are too kind Lee.  Thankfully it's not a 360 degree panoramic-style pic, as you'd see the horrible mess out of shot! ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Start with some decent bookshelf speakers and an integrated amplifier..  if you are a fan of full range then you probably should consider floor standings or an accurate subwoofer like Rythmik..

• Like 1

Yoooo wicked to get some feedback from everyone! Feeling v welcomed. Apologies for the late reply.

On 21/05/2020 at 3:28 PM, muon* said:

I came from Logitech computer speakers, then grabbed some Richter Harliquin Mkll's and a little EL84 amp, then some low powered Sansui integrateds (AU-555 & AU-505), and that started me off.

What are the TT's? Technics?

I got some Stantons turntables...they are old but still work. They were also free so I'm stoked to get them. I have two mixers - one Vestax and one Stanton. It's all hooked up through an old Onkyo 5.1 amp with some old passive speakers. The whole setup was simply made with old bits around the house. 

I'm very keen to grab some secondhand or refurb active speakers, sub and potentially amp too through the forums here. Was recommended by a record store owner in Collingwood to come here.

Aiming to spend no more than $1000 if you guys think I could get something decent for around that?

• Like 2

100679387_1183742131969536_2715755027246350336_n.thumb.jpg.5b8739a63edee8ae43fa706ca937cfbe.jpg100687477_2951722254945160_6673419471836676096_n.thumb.jpg.cde48a4b07dbabd5ecad289aba59f3b4.jpg100105749_285686972456607_3423777186241314816_n.thumb.jpg.6a27ed744ff7f84d0431bcd434645841.jpg

Shocking photos I just quickly snapped but this the gear. Wanna get it looking a bit more like @pete_mac's setup haha from what I hear, a good set of bookshelf active speakers would be the best place to start.

The room is large with lots of large glass windows. It's not idea but its a nice space to chill in. Plus, not sure how long I'll be here to plan around it. 99382143_665241637374227_2823665268809531392_n.thumb.jpg.de2bec09e7127460be4efb453b06bef8.jpg

99284178_580383039543284_3526246773687320576_n.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice!

The Stanton ST-150s are based upon the 'Hanpin Super-OEM' platform as are the Audio Technica, Reloop, and numerous other brands these days. They are a good solid turntable - I previously owned a pair of Technics SL-1200mk2 which I bought brand new, and my current Reloop RP-7000 are excellent and I don't feel like I am missing out in any way.

I can't believe that you have a PCV-175... small word... that was the first mixer that I bought in 2001 along with the SL-1200s, and I recently bought another near-mint example as a show-piece for old time's sake. You can also see it on the bottom shelf under my DJ rig.

1317955422_1752.jpg.703bf75b91def8e262acb21f3b0a08b2.jpg

Neither the Stanton or the Vestax offer fantastic sound quality vs offerings from Allen and Heath, Rane, Ecler, or some of the boutique mixers out there, but they will do the job and sound fine. Personally I would use the Vestax. 

Regarding speakers... and this assumes that you want to mix as a DJ would, and not just sit down and listen to records... there are many ways to approach this - including active speakers and a subwoofer, or a more PA-focused rig.

It depends how loud you want to go... PA speakers will get you to ear-bleeding levels without fuss, but that's not necessarily conducive to learning to beat-mix.  You can get some pretty serious output from a pair of active 8" studio monitor speakers too (especially when placed close to your mixing position i.e. about a metre away from your head!)  which is what you want when mixing, but with improved sound quality. 

For monitors... take your pick really! Again, I'd look at something with larger 8" drivers for DJing purposes, or possibly smaller if you are adding a sub.

Have a look at storedj.com.au and djcity.com.au to get an idea what is available.

You could do a lot worse than:

https://www.storedj.com.au/krk-rokit-rp8g4-8-studio-monitors-black-pair

with stands:

https://djcity.com.au/product/prostand-ss110-tripod-base-monitor-speaker-stand-1-1m/

and cables:

https://djcity.com.au/product/connex-xmrc-3t-xlr-to-rca-twin-cable-3m/ (noting that those two mixers don't have balanced outputs, so RCA to XLR are required).

For a cheap PA-style setup including subwoofer, these LD Dave systems are quite good for the dollars:

https://djcity.com.au/product/ld-systems-lddave10g3-10-inch-active-split-system/

There's also nothing stopping you from getting a decent pair of hifi speakers and a nice amp and running those, but you need to be selective with what you choose.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Thanks 1

@pete_mac wicked thank heaps for the links man, both look pretty promising for the price. 

I think ideally I would like to try start with secondhand if I can. That way if I'm not feeling it, they still hold their resale value quite well.

In the mean time, I wouldn't mind asking what people's thoughts on AV receivers as amps to just start out? I have these old 60 watt two way passive speakers as well as several other smaller 75 watt passive speakers I run atm with the TT. I'm just lacking an active sub to go with.

I thought maybe if first bought a sub and set up the speakers correctly and see how that sounds and then upgrade as I go could be a good plan?

If you think I would just have a better time forgoing all of that and just commit to some secondhand or new 8 inch monitors or PA system..I'd love to know your thoughts.

Thanks heaps again, stoked you guys taking the time to help a brother out ?

100683793_2576918399288258_5784533396738801664_n.thumb.jpg.d68cc77cbaf6ef12d04b02ac38d2d3b8.jpg99269477_957984834655628_5903998874149715968_n.thumb.jpg.d72f63468b8437af4dcb10e93be9cfe2.jpg

100753093_231256841507418_5252861366556950528_n.jpg

100104463_252778592602435_2108871569886412800_n.jpg

22 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Very nice!

The Stanton ST-150s are based upon the 'Hanpin Super-OEM' platform as are the Audio Technica, Reloop, and numerous other brands these days. They are a good solid turntable - I previously owned a pair of Technics SL-1200mk2 which I bought brand new, and my current Reloop RP-7000 are excellent and I don't feel like I am missing out in any way.

I can't believe that you have a PCV-175... small word... that was the first mixer that I bought in 2001 along with the SL-1200s, and I recently bought another near-mint example as a show-piece for old time's sake. You can also see it on the bottom shelf under my DJ rig.

1317955422_1752.jpg.703bf75b91def8e262acb21f3b0a08b2.jpg

Neither the Stanton or the Vestax offer fantastic sound quality vs offerings from Allen and Heath, Rane, Ecler, or some of the boutique mixers out there, but they will do the job and sound fine. Personally I would use the Vestax. 

Regarding speakers... and this assumes that you want to mix as a DJ would, and not just sit down and listen to records... there are many ways to approach this - including active speakers and a subwoofer, or a more PA-focused rig.

It depends how loud you want to go... PA speakers will get you to ear-bleeding levels without fuss, but that's not necessarily conducive to learning to beat-mix.  You can get some pretty serious output from a pair of active 8" studio monitor speakers too (especially when placed close to your mixing position i.e. about a metre away from your head!)  which is what you want when mixing, but with improved sound quality. 

For monitors... take your pick really! Again, I'd look at something with larger 8" drivers for DJing purposes, or possibly smaller if you are adding a sub.

Have a look at storedj.com.au and djcity.com.au to get an idea what is available.

You could do a lot worse than:

https://www.storedj.com.au/krk-rokit-rp8g4-8-studio-monitors-black-pair

with stands:

https://djcity.com.au/product/prostand-ss110-tripod-base-monitor-speaker-stand-1-1m/

and cables:

https://djcity.com.au/product/connex-xmrc-3t-xlr-to-rca-twin-cable-3m/ (noting that those two mixers don't have balanced outputs, so RCA to XLR are required).

For a cheap PA-style setup including subwoofer, these LD Dave systems are quite good for the dollars:

https://djcity.com.au/product/ld-systems-lddave10g3-10-inch-active-split-system/

There's also nothing stopping you from getting a decent pair of hifi speakers and a nice amp and running those, but you need to be selective with what you choose.

hahaha very small world! Good to know its a actually a decent bit of kit. 

I think having an acceptable sounds is OK for me for now. I do mostly listening at the moment until I build a record collection I'd like to DJ with (a whole other thing I'd need to tackle). Having the option of slowly upgrading bit by bit would be best I'd say.

Also, any idea where these can get serviced / repaired in Melbourne? The cross fade is broken on the mixer and few other little things that might be worth fixing.

24 minutes ago, Dr.hifi said:

@TDX Just whipped out the tape measure. The room isn't one big conventional rectangle but it's roughly 8.3 m X 5.4 m.

99408276_537187950291526_1284976592019259392_n.thumb.jpg.6963e2397c2b075a9ef97b9e082ebf6b.jpg

99241488_248717403059738_7825286566267322368_n.thumb.jpg.7713a6b46989f8f42725d75d6828d5c8.jpg

99245195_864109054075057_3380911819194368000_n.thumb.jpg.df6770e0704588346916a3fba7778a12.jpg

Awesome room. Better carefully treat it to get the best. 

• Like 1

Wow, very nice room indeed!

I can understand not wanting to over-capitalise if you are just starting out - especially if you are going to spend time listening rather than DJing/mixing at first. At this point of your journey, most of your money should be going towards music!

It's hard to provide good advice without knowing exactly what you want to achieve  - it's much easier to have a 5 minute phone conversation with back and forth discussion. Happy to pass on my details if you'd like to chew the fat. :)

If those receivers are working fine, you could do a lot worse than using one of those and adding a better pair of speakers. Those Sharps aren't up to scratch on the audio quality front.

As an example, these passive studio monitors from Soundcraft are currently on ebay: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Monitor-speakers-Spirit-Absolute-2/264740410323?hash=item3da3c213d3:g:KewAAOSw-2xevMgY

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/spirit-absolute-2

They would run rings around the Sharps.

There are plenty of cheapish second-hand subs out there too, but you need to know what you are looking for. Cheap hifi/home theatre subs won't go particularly loud in that room, but will certainly fill in the lower registers when married with smaller bookshelf speakers or even a pair of floorstanders.

If you do intend playing loud in a room that big, cheaper domestic hifi gear won't cut it.

There really are so many different ways you could approach this whole thing, hence the suggestion of a chat.

Regarding the Vestax... sadly Vestax no longer exists as a company and spares are virtually unobtainable, including the PCV cross-faders. There might be some other lesser-quality fader that can be adapted.

Whilst the cross-fader isn't working, do the upfaders work fine if you leave the crossfader in the middle? If so... you are in luck if (unless you intend to scratch... in which case the Vestax isn't suited anyway). For mixing which involves blending two songs together, ditch the crossfader and use the upfaders - it is the best way to go.

I'm not familiar with DJ gear service agents in your neck of the woods.

One further point to note... as a DJ who collected vinyl back in the day, sold most of it and went digital (CDJs) and is now back using turntables, a Digital Vinyl System (DVS) from Serato, Traktor or Pioneer's Rekordbox is an absolute god-send!  Add a laptop/computer and you can control digital files with vinyl on your turntables. I swear by it!

Edited by pete_mac