FS: Relist: Whatmough Monitors Model 201 and matching stands

Item Condition: sound great, cabinet good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Perth
State: Western Australia
Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: NLR - upgraded to 202 Leadlined

The classic Model 201 by Colin Whatmough.  Original owner, they have served me well until I upgraded to Model 202 Leadlined from a fellow SNA member last year.

Good condition, although like many 201s the vinyl laminate needed repairs over time. The cross-overs were upgraded about 6 years ago with Mundorf M Cap film capacitors, which brightened up the sound - to my ears better than the original.  Includes original stand and spikes.

Very efficient, easily driven them with a 35w amp.

Prefer local pick up due to size and weight, but happy to work with interstate buyers (I've got recent experience with shipping Whatmoughs across country).

Previously offered these for sale just before Christmas and, while there was interest, it wasn't the right time to sell so I'm relisting again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had the same speakers Steve.

Bought brand new in 1990.

Only sold them last June. Man they were a great speaker for the price.

Have PMCs now, but still sorta miss the old Whatmough's.

Did you buy yours from Clifford at Audio Synergy? And are the lead lined a vast improvement on the standards? They were not available when l bought mine. But I've heard stories how good they were.

Yes, I bought these from Clifford in 1994, paired with an NVA Amp.  

They aren't the lead lined ones, at the time I couldn't justify the extra cost. Ironically the yearly incremental cost over 25 years would have been small.  I ended up buying lead lined ones from SNA member BATMAQN last year and they are definitely an improvement, the sound is much "tighter".   That being said the 201s are still pretty good and recapping them made a noticable difference.  I just don't have the space for both.

2 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Have PMCs now, but still sorta miss the old Whatmough's.

I have both Whatmough's and PMC's. Got the PMC's first and love them. Got the Whatmough's for HT not expecting much but wow. These speakers sound very good, better than the PMC's with some music. GLWTS.

• Love 1

On 20/05/2020 at 7:13 PM, vinilink said:

Stands alone may worth the money if anyone is looking for a serious stands. They are bloody heavy for sure!

10mm thick steel used in  their construction 

Plus sand filling = bloody heavy!

Edited by bvuka2013
Wording

13 hours ago, vinilink said:

Stands alone may worth the money if anyone is looking for a serious stands. They are bloody heavy for sure!

I can agree bvuka2013
having owned whatmough 202i lead lined export speakers  and same stands bought off colin himself,
the stands especially when you fill them with dry sand weigh a ton,but are worth it for the clarity of sound that these speakerers produce,the price is a bargain. 

2 hours ago, thejt said:

Any previous or current owners able to give some insight on the character of these? Currently running NS1000m and curious as to how these compare. thanks.

As nice as the whatmough’s are, the Yamaha’s are far better!! 

Without hearing the Yamahas I can't make that judgement,  but what I can say is that paired with a suitable amp the Whatmoughs are great (as evidenced by the other comments above).  It would never occur to me to use them as backyard speakers as you said in your ad when you sold yours, nor is there a child's toy rattling around in them.  As others have said, the stands make a big difference to the sound.

Edited by stevel6868

I've heard these actual speakers and they are indeed a great sounding speaker that will not disappoint - detailed, tight and musical without being fatiguing.  As others have already noted, the stands are a real plus here. 

I haven't heard the Yamahas but drawing speaker comparisons without understanding the equipment driving it and personal preferences is always a difficult and subjective exercise.

For the right buyer, I'm sure Steve will be able to find a small toy to include to round out the package ?

Edited by mivarpet

3 hours ago, stevel6868 said:

Without hearing the Yamahas I can't make that judgement,  but what I can say is that paired with a suitable amp the Whatmoughs are great (as evidenced by the other comments above).  It would never occur to me to use them as backyard speakers as you said in your ad when you sold yours, nor is there a child's toy rattling around in them.  As others have said, the stands make a big difference to the sound.

As mentioned in my ad I recall saying they were really too good for that sort of use.  

Since @thejt wanted an opinion on both and I’ve had both, I gave mine.