April Snow

Off Centre Labels on Records

Just cleaning a new record I have received and I notice one of the labels is off centre. First time I have come across this. The hole seems centred (as it is fine looking at Side B) so it seems the label itself has been put on off centre. It is something I should worry about? 

So annoyed lately though with the records that arrive with "tight" spindle holes - had a couple of those - Grrrrrr.

IMG_4806.JPG

36 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Just cleaning a new record I have received and I notice one of the labels is off centre. First time I have come across this. The hole seems centred (as it is fine looking at Side B) so it seems the label itself has been put on off centre. It is something I should worry about? 

So annoyed lately though with the records that arrive with "tight" spindle holes - had a couple of those - Grrrrrr.

Get yourself a tapered reamer to open the tight holes.

This is why I don't buy new LP's any more the quality is not there and they sound nowhere near as good as the original pressings

It’s fabulous that so many reissues are being produced right now but there are definitely issues with some of them. Even the well known Jazz label can turn out disappointing product. The fact that a new record is sealed doesn’t always mean quality inside. Tight spindle holes aside, other issues are unseen detritus resulting in pops and noise. Cleaning before use doesn’t always fix this...

9 minutes ago, Warren Jones said:

Get yourself a tapered reamer to open the tight holes.

This is why I don't buy new LP's any more the quality is not there and they sound nowhere near as good as the original pressings

Thanks for that, had to google what a tapered reamer is 😂 .................but I am using something similar to that to widen holes with no real issues.

But my question is not about the hole but about the label itself.

The label on Side A is stuck off centre - so the run out groove has a  wider gap on one side of the label on Side A and narrower gap on the other side of Side A.

I attached a photo but may be hard to see?

Side B is fine (hole and label are both centered)

So my question is should I be concerned if the label is over part of the run out groove if it is? or will the stylus not be bothered by that?

Another pic may help?

It may sound like a dumb question but first time I have seen a label so off centre (but centre hole fine)

thought I would ask in case I come across this in the future.

REcord.JPG

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, markielinhart said:

It’s fabulous that so many reissues are being produced right now but there are definitely issues with some of them. Even the well known Jazz label can turn out disappointing product. The fact that a new record is sealed doesn’t always mean quality inside. Tight spindle holes aside, other issues are unseen detritus resulting in pops and noise. Cleaning before use doesn’t always fix this...

Totally agree - I have been on a buying splurge lately and many new LPs arrive with detris inside (I always clean before playing) and tight holes - there seems to be problems with many of them sadly. I usually try to find original pressings but not everything is available of course, so it is a bit of a trial and error process. At least Amazon are good with returns and out of the many I have brought only 2 have gone back (and maybe this one will too if the label "is" an issue) for a replacement.

Edited by April Snow

@April Snow Record labels are not stuck on with glue 

They are pressed onto the vinyl with heat during the final process 

So in this case it’s probably a mechanical error within the system 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@April Snow Record labels are not stuck on with glue 

They are pressed onto the vinyl with heat during the final process 

So in this case it’s probably a mechanical error within the system 

Yes I just use the word "stuck" as opposed to "fixed" or "pressed" I guess. 

But still will this be an issue if the label is off centre with the run out groove?

Edited by April Snow

Just now, April Snow said:

Yes I just use the word "stuck" as opposed to "fixed" I guess. 

But still will this be an issue if the label is off centre with the run out groove?

If the label does not interfere with the runout grooves then it’s OK 👌 

20 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Thanks for that, had to google what a tapered reamer is 😂 .................but I am using something similar to that to widen holes with no real issues.

Doesn't take much, I use the handle of a kitchen fork  :) 

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

IMG_4806.JPG

Got lots of them with wonky labels, not only recently but going back 40 years. If it doesn't encroach on the playing grooves it doesn't matter Got more than a few records from the late 70s on that I've got a file to the centre hole as it's too tight. It's really not a modern phenomenon and has been happening forever.

15 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Got lots of them with wonky labels, not only recently but going back 40 years. If it doesn't encroach on the playing grooves it doesn't matter Got more than a few records from the late 70s on that I've got a file to the centre hole as it's too tight. It's really not a modern phenomenon and has been happening forever.

OK thank you - just wondered as I have never seen one this bad before - it was obvious as soon as I removed it from the horrible paper sleeve - (will be put in to a Mofi one now of course) - and so I wondered if I should be concerned it was so off centre. I will watch and see how the record goes when the stylus hits the run out groove. I was more worried it may affect the stylus if it hits the label. 

On off tight centre holes - have done a google and read that a Bic Pen can help with widening that a little if they are tight. The Tapered Reamer sounds a bit harsh maybe as that sort of "cuts"? 

Thanks for the help everyone xxx

PS. also part of my concern about a label being so off centre is if it affects the balance of a record? As well as the run out groove.......but I guess as it is something that is lying flat on a turntable it would not? 

I shall report back on how the record plays when I get to spin it - stuck at work now ............rainy day - would rather be home playing records (hahahahaha)

An off-centre label won't affect the balance of the platter.  I do find them aesthetically annoying when rotating on the platter, but that doesn't affect the reproduction.

If the label overlaps the circular end-groove, it may add to the wear of the stylus, and will sound horrible.  Not a problem if you have an auto/semi-auto turntable that lifts the arm before it gets to this point.  Not a problem if the label gets close to this groove and the stylus doesn't touch the label.

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

If the label overlaps the circular end-groove, it may add to the wear of the stylus, and will sound horrible.

It will certainly sound pretty ordinary in a white noise kind of way but really, a stylus made of diamond playing on a paper label shouldn't effect the life of it in any way as it just skates over the top and there's no wear.

1 hour ago, Hergest said:

It will certainly sound pretty ordinary in a white noise kind of way but really, a stylus made of diamond playing on a paper label shouldn't effect the life of it in any way as it just skates over the top and there's no wear.

That's if it doesn't grab and get torn off the cantilever. 

I have tried the record and the stylus does hit the label as part of the label is over the run out groove, so I am sending it back for a replacement - I don't want to wreck my Ortofon Stylus. Thanks for your help guys, I gave it a shot but I can tell this is not a good idea now I tried it 😞

Was just trying to avoid the return hassel 😞

9 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I have tried the record and the stylus does hit the label as part of the label is over the run out groove, so I am sending it back for a replacement - I don't want to wreck my Ortofon Stylus. Thanks for your help guys, I gave it a shot but I can tell this is not a good idea now I tried it 😞

Was just trying to avoid the return hassle 😞

25 minutes ago, t_mike said:

^  ^  ^  this is the problem, April.  I've had it happen to me.  :(

Andy

I must say, I'm quite surprised that it goes into the runout, as this is really quite a normal production variance. A truly off centre lable is this...

15899675532366467786644767067644.jpg

11 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

I have organised the return with Amazon - so all will be sorted out - I just don't want to take the risk and with double albums being expensive it is not worth it when it can be easily returned. Just a bummer.................this one is too off centre and first time I have come across this 😞

2 minutes ago, t_mike said:

I must say, I'm quite surprised that it goes into the runout, as this is really quite a normal production variance. A truly off centre lable is this...

15899675532366467786644767067644.jpg

Yes the label looks kind of like that - only the hole is the right place (although I did have to make it bigger) but the label is not centred so overlaps and I watched the stylus hit the crooked part and clunk - so knew it was just not great.

11 hours ago, April Snow said:

...and tight holes - there seems to be problems with many of them sadly...

I often found the cause of a tight hole is a small piece of plastic inside, a scissors blade will often dislodge it.  Another cause has often been the paper label hole being slightly smaller than the plastic hole.  Again, a scissors blade can be used to remove the excess without affecting the plastic. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, andyr said:

Andy

OMG (so sorry that happened to you 😥)  then I am doing the right thing - off in the post it goes tomorrow ...........

Edited by April Snow

14 hours ago, t_mike said:

Not a chance of that happening fortunately. A jumper sleeve will do it for sure but a paper label? No way.

40 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Not a chance of that happening fortunately. A jumper sleeve will do it for sure but a paper label? No way.

Too much high country air would appear to have sadly reduced your comprehension skills, H.  (Comprehension is what your brain does, after your eyeballs have 'read the words'.)

The last post before yours was April quoting my comment that I have had a stylus ripped off by a particularly off-centred label.

Andy