Power cable: British vs American vs Aussie

Hi guys,

When you are on the road of hi-end hi-fi equipment, power supply is one topic attracting a lot of discussions. We hear a lot of good power cable names like voodoo. However here's the problem: majority of these power cables gives only British three-square pin plugs or American two-flat-pin-plus-one-round-pin plugs. There is none for Aussie plug. Also for power conditioning bars they give British and American formats like the product below.

http://www.mshdpower.com/products_p.html?category=sockets&class=uk&oem=2&xml=MSUS06SRHKV2&model=MS-US06SRHK V2

While you are using these power bars, where do you find the cable from this bar to your wall socket? Or you simply do yourself a tradie and change the wall socket to British/ American?MSUS04SRHKV2_01.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pallydou said:

Or you simply do yourself a tradie and change the wall socket to British/ American?MSUS04SRHKV2_01.jpg

Definitely not!

If the powerboard is rated for 240V you could change the line plug to an AU one.

4 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Definitely not!

If the powerboard is rated for 240V you could change the line plug to an AU one.

Peter,

So you mean people can source good plugs to change instead of those from Bunnings.

Just now, Pallydou said:

Peter,

So you mean people can source good plugs to change instead of those from Bunnings.

Middendorps, or AWM will have good line plugs.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY !  BEWARE!

Australian power = 240V.  Devices in Australia are required to meet the safety standards so they can manage this voltage safely.  This approval ensures safety for the end user. 

UK power = 230V.  Similar to Australia.  There would be less concern in changing a UK power plug to an Australian power plug.  However, the device has still not been approved for use in Australia.

US power = 120V = less than half the voltage used in Australia!  Changing the socket on US devices is dangerous, because they have only been designed to use half the voltage.  Therefore, insulation may not work at the higher Aust voltage.  DO NOT use these with 240V!

A US power board can be used* in Aust. IF it is connected to a step-down transformer (that converts 240V to 115V) AND the current drawn by the power board does not exceed the max. current specified by the power board and the current rating of the step-down transformer. 

* Although I said it can be used, it still may not meet the Aust. electrical standards.

21 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY !  BEWARE!

Australian power = 240V.  Devices in Australia are required to meet the safety standards so they can manage this voltage safely.  This approval ensures safety for the end user. 

UK power = 230V.  Similar to Australia.  There would be less concern in changing a UK power plug to an Australian power plug.  However, the device has still not been approved for use in Australia.

US power = 120V = less than half the voltage used in Australia!  Changing the socket on US devices is dangerous, because they have only been designed to use half the voltage.  Therefore, insulation may not work at the higher Aust voltage.  DO NOT use these with 240V!

A US power board can be used* in Aust. IF it is connected to a step-down transformer (that converts 240V to 115V) AND the current drawn by the power board does not exceed the max. current specified by the power board and the current rating of the step-down transformer. 

* Although I said it can be used, it still may not meet the Aust. electrical standards.

• Like 2

yes, we are 230V NOT 240V

The problem I see, is there are all sorts of other regulations about insulation, spacing, earthing requirements, etc etc, that components sourced overseas may not comply with.  Same for unapproved locally made stuff.  

Just changing the plug on the end to suit your wall socket won't fix those problems.

Edited by aussievintage

1 hour ago, Pallydou said:

Or you simply do yourself a tradie and change the wall socket to British/ American?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112

Do not change the wall socket!

At a glance the power conditioning bar in the link does not look like it is compliant with Australian Regulations. Someone can correct me but I would be worried about soldered joints on a mains bus bar unit where you could plug in multiple high current drawing devices.

My view would be to buy an Australian certified unit and at least have some hope of claiming insurance after the house burns down!

4 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

My error is noted, thanks for the clarification.

Ha, 240, 230, they say tomayto, we say tomarto, it's the distinction from the typical US 110 V we were both making  ?

Edit:  PS, look at the voltage ratings on this page of plugs

https://www.awm.mmem.com.au/general-wiring-accessories/general-electrical-accessories/plugs-sockets-adaptors.html

Edited by pwstereo
Added link to mains plugs with 240 and 250 V ratings
  • Like 1

443896915_ScreenShot2020-05-19at7_52_58pm.thumb.png.0886c49c1de4ec7dbad3f6b62007de42.png

Mains can range between 253 volts AC to 216 volts AC on a single phase circuit, hence the 250 volt rating of the sockets. The reasons for the the supply variance are varied and issues stabilising the voltage at 230 volts must be exceedingly difficult with the increased uptake of intermittent power generated by solar, wind etc distances of user from the generation site, time of day usage et al. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated. Let me tweak my question a little bit. This is a Voodoo cable sold in Australia. Definitely it is America standard (plug). This means you need an American-look power bar (but run in 240V). The amps is running in 240V of course. My original question was how do you find a good cable connecting the power bar to the wall socket. Getting a Clipsal plug to change is an option, but many audiophiles would have bad feeling on Clipsal.

https://klappav.com.au/collections/voodoo-cable/products/x-ray

It’s “voodoo” alright. “Improves signal gain and colour saturation.”

That is just ridiculous, buy a proper, approved AU plug for it and get on with listening to music.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pwstereo said:

That is just ridiculous, buy a proper, approved AU plug for it and get on with listening to music.

... and shouldn't cost more than $15 from Bunnings.

• Like 2

Guest Mr Thorens
7 hours ago, pwstereo said:

Have you owned a Voodoo cable before? The ones I’ve bought locally all have AU plugs already on them. The plug used was a HPM D90WE. So if you are buying in Australia they are perfectly legal. 

Guest Mr Thorens
8 hours ago, Pallydou said:

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated. Let me tweak my question a little bit. This is a Voodoo cable sold in Australia. Definitely it is America standard (plug). This means you need an American-look power bar (but run in 240V). The amps is running in 240V of course. My original question was how do you find a good cable connecting the power bar to the wall socket. Getting a Clipsal plug to change is an option, but many audiophiles would have bad feeling on Clipsal.

The models I’ve owned bought in Australia have an AU plug. They use the HPM finger grip plug D90WE. So all legal. 

8 hours ago, Pallydou said:

why would anybody have bad feelings about a Clipsal plug,just about every home/business  in Australia have either Clipsal or hpm wall outlets/light switches fitted througuout their homes,nothing wrong with the clipsal1439s.

A00042701.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

why would anybody have bad feelings about a Clipsal plug,just about every home/business  in Australia have either Clipsal or hpm wall outlets/light switches fitted througuout their homes,nothing wrong with the clipsal1439s.

A00042701.png

Don't get me wrong. I use a lot of Clipsals/HPMs/Jacksons on my appliances. Some may just say "oh the pins are not 24K gold plated" whatever. You know, sometimes audiophiles may strive for everything perfect from the wall plug on the wall to appliance.

For me, as long as that plug gives power I am fine with it. I am just curious.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steffen said:

I phoned my energy company and asked whether the ~20m cable from the power pole to my house was cryogenically treated. They said no.

Mine isn't shielded either : )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

why would anybody have bad feelings about a Clipsal plug,just about every home/business  in Australia have either Clipsal or hpm wall outlets/light switches fitted throughout their homes,nothing wrong with the clipsal1439s.

A00042701.png

Hi Ray - the Clipsal 1439s is a 20a plug, right?

So it has a wider earth pin than a normal 10a plug and will only fit into a 20a wall socket (which has a wider earth-pin slot)?

Thanks,

Andy

3 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

The models I’ve owned bought in Australia have an AU plug. They use the HPM finger grip plug D90WE. So all legal. 

It's legal if the whole cord has Australian standards approval, otherwise only the plug is legal. Talk about it with your insurance company, I'm sure they can give you the details.

13 hours ago, Pallydou said:

Just had a quick look at the Klapp site mentioned above, and at the end of the description it says that it's available with the AC plugs listed below, and then fails to give a list of available options. Probably a fair bet to say that the only available option is an Australian plug. I would have thought that selling a power cord of whatever price with anything else would be prohibited. Might not be, but it would be a bit iffy.