I have been trying to set up a Sony STR DG700 receiver for my mother. She has had the Sony since new. It has only ever used the analogue inputs namely the RCA output from her TV, a CD player via RCA and AM / FM radio. 

I got a Chromecast Ultra for her and plugged that into a HDMI input along with a Panasonic PVR into the other HDMI input. The PVR had previously been plugged into the TV via its only HDMI input.

The AVR's HDMI output now goes to the TV input. The video and audio now comes through fine on the TV speakers, but I have no audio from the Chromecast and PVR through the speakers connected to the AVR. The AM/FM radio still works fine as does the CD player.

I've performed a factory reset with no luck. Is it possible the digital audio section in the AVR has died? I don't know what else to do. As far as I know I've exhausted my limit of trouble shooting. 

Have I missed something? I'm more than welcome to any suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

An excerpt from the manual

The sound is output from the TV speaker only when a playback component and this receiver, as well as this receiver and the TV are connected via a HDMI jack. To output the sound from the supplied speakers and to take advantage of the multi channel surround sound, be sure to

- Connect the digital audio jacks on the playback component to the receiver.

- Turn off or mute the TV's volume.

Is it possible this receiver wont output audio through the connected speakers when being fed a signal only to the HDMI jacks????? Is / was that a thing????? Seems odd to me.

Either way, looks like a new receiver is on the cards.

This receiver is probably not capable of HDMI audio, just video passthrough. I've seen other Sony receiver STR DA1200ES has the same problem. Likely HDMI was new at that time.

As buzzing bee said its likely an early hdmi version ; when they dont mention 1.1/1.2 etc even in the manual you must resort to sp dif coax or optical in .  This will give you lossy decoding ; not lossless as you get with hdmi :)

You will need a toslink optical converter cable for the chromecast as its got a multiple option on its 1 output..

https://allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-audio-guides/what-are-the-3-compatible-audio-cables-for-chromecast-audio-and-why-it-matters/

The pana pvr only puts out lossy dd5.1 or pcm2.0 depending on the channel so you can use either a coax sp/dif or optical to get the best audio it puts out ; just switch to digital in the sub menus rather than analogue as you are using atm 😉

Thanks guys. I was starting to go mad!!!!!!!! Wish I knew that when we purchased it. I assumed HDMI did video & audio. 

Not sure which way to go just yet. Probably bite the bullet and get a new entry level receiver to keep things simple.