Easy fix or nah ?

4 hours ago, Rocketfrogs said:

You definitely need some form of isolation between the turntable and the side board.  Also it might be just the angle of the photo but it seems your headshell has a pronounced forward lean which would throw your VTA off kilter. Does your treble sound particularly bright?

Thanks @Rocketfrogs ! I only got the TT yesterday and spent a bit of tim with it last night, it sounds pretty lovely but I do have some concerns about the setup of the tone arm & headshell. Not experienced with this so much and feel like I need to guidance. I'd like to get the thorens serviced and a new belt ect so I may look into that. 

9 minutes ago, joz said:

I know you said it’s a rental but how good are you with patching and painting ?

Wall mounting would fix your issues.

I'm on a pretty good thing with the owners so I could perhaps put a bracket up . The Rega posted before was lovely but a budget alternative you be far more enjoyable . I think this is the best fix for me at the moment. Maybe less practical but definitely more aesthetically pleasing ! Thanks @joz 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tasebass said:

https://klappav.com.au/products/turntable-wall-bracket?v

If its an option...I'd be wall mounting your Deck..

Cheers

Tase

Thanks mate ! This looks like a wonderful option ! I'm going to have a chat with the owners and see how they feel about the whole thing. Many thanks

There is really nothing aside from a wall shelf that will isolate a turntable from suspended floorboard movements caused by the weight of a person. The magnitude of the movement is too high to be absorbed by pretty much any of the regular isolation devices that we use in hifi.

I have my LP12 on a wall shelf and would never go back (at least while I have floorboards).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

There is really nothing aside from a wall shelf that will isolate a turntable from suspended floorboard movements caused by the weight of a person. The magnitude of the movement is too high to be absorbed by pretty much any of the regular isolation devices that we use in hifi.

I have my LP12 on a wall shelf and would never go back (at least while I have floorboards).

Yep, this one. The magnitude and extremely low frequency interference is exacerbated by the springy suspension. My old TD160 would bounce and skip like mad even when my staffy (RIP) trotted past. Very few, if any, isolation strategies that deal with the turntable only will help here.

Running a long board under the front legs and another under the rear legs of the cabinet is cheap and simple and likely to make a difference, but a wall mount will be the only way to effectively eliminate the problem. 

A non-sprung turntable is also less likely to be quite so badly affected.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Yep, this one. The magnitude and extremely low frequency interference is exacerbated by the springy suspension. My old TD160 would bounce and skip like mad even when my staffy (RIP) trotted past. Very few, if any, isolation strategies that deal with the turntable only will help here.

Running a long board under the front legs and another under the rear legs of the cabinet is cheap and simple and likely to make a difference, but a wall mount will be the only way to effectively eliminate the problem. 

A non-sprung turntable is also less likely to be quite so badly affected.

Oh @Grizzly ! I have two staff's that will trot past and they may as well weigh 100kg each with the way the Thorens reacts ~ think i'm going to attempt to put a shelf up !

11 hours ago, wen said:

i would look at rearranging your room so the turntable is not in a thoroughfare

This is incredibly practical ~ I think for soundscape there is definitely merit in moving things around. It's not like I don't have the time at them moment !

i would put a bowl of water on a solid chair or stool in the position you are thinking of moving your unit, then give it the walk past test and see if there are any ripples in the water, might save a lot of frustration, good luck

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, wen said:

i would put a bowl of water on a solid chair or stool in the position you are thinking of moving your unit, then give it the walk past test and see if there are any ripples in the water, might save a lot of frustration, good luck

Great idea!  :thumb:

13 hours ago, wen said:

i would look at rearranging your room so the turntable is not in a thoroughfare

But the OP still has to walk up to the TT, to put on / change a record.  :o

Andy

• Like 1

Hi OP. Rented accom means you cant use the usual and well tried methods to fix this. Vibration cures are the answer to a different problem. You have actual shaking of your cabinet generated by a 80kg foot fall For you is no real solution. you can investigate moving it to a more secure set of floor boards, make sure cabinet has only 4 point contact. else wise t-mike and - third drawer - offer the best  workable solutions for you.  Of course if i bothered to read all suggestions wall mount is instant fix the damage is probably worth it.

Edited by Richard Tremain
add info
  • Like 1

Four smaller concrete pavers (with felt or similar floor glide/protector pads under), one for each leg of the cabinet. Spreads contact with floor and adds mass to help resist induced movement.

Then one large concrete paver on top of the cabinet with those larger and softer White's Anti-vibration pads under each corner (further mass to resist vibration and the rubber pads to isolate from vibration), then put the turntable on top of the large concrete paver using either the turntable feet only, or something like the squash ball suggestion already made.

Once tested and know to be working well, paint the pavers to match decor and seal the concrete.

• Like 1

If the shelf idea is knocked back by your landlord, let me know and I'll give you some design ideas for a plinth that will be rigid, cheap, and won't weigh as much as a granite counter top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

If the shelf idea is knocked back by your landlord, let me know and I'll give you some design ideas for a plinth that will be rigid, cheap, and won't weigh as much as a granite counter top.

Mate I'd listen to your idea too.