Hello !

So I have these groovy new components in my possession and am trying to acquaint myself with them. So far we are having a ball, few wines and some Sade. Wonderful stuff ! My problem comes when I step on certain floorboards near set up. Audio takes a hit and so does my feeling of absolute smugness . I'm in a rental so am looking for a temporary fix, I also spent all my money so I'm in no position to put a load of cash into the problem but you my fine friends are far smarter than me and have worlds of experience, so what should I do ? Is it as simple as putting carpet under this very cheap sideboard or are there more sinister problems lurking. 

Many thanks,

Jackson

yZHnu4ZbT7eRaQNvr0DRWg.jpg

lIHtu%0kRYSP7W67m9e5dg.jpg

ALSO

Sorry . I feel like my Thorens TD 150 is calibrated as best I know.  Youtube tutorials etc. I know I may be very wrong but doing the best I can .

You need to try an isolate it easiest way is to get two pieces of mdf drill some holes with a spade bit so squash balls will sit in the holes place the balls on the table place mdf on the balls try it , if that doesn't isolate it enough try another layer. Either that or get a plastic container fill it with sand level it out put mdf on the levelled surface turntable on top. Also raise those speakers off the floor by 30 cm and away from the back wall so they protrude past the cabinet .

Hey @DEANO23 

Thank you so much ! I've got stands coming for the yams tomorrow and feeling good about that . Just to clarify I'd essentially be making a base for Thorens plinth to sit on ? Would there be any worth in treating legs of sideboard in a similar way ? Really appreciate the response, feels like youre yelling at a wall sometimes. 

Many thanks .

When you say audio takes a hit, what's actually happening?

33 minutes ago, cosmicwheels said:

ALSO

Sorry . I feel like my Thorens TD 150 is calibrated as best I know.  Youtube tutorials etc. I know I may be very wrong but doing the best I can .

Assuming your tracking weight is set correctly for the cartridge you have fitted, I was also going to suggest the squash ball solution for relatively quick and easy fix (they be getting harder to find now no one seems to play squash anymore!).

The speaker stands may also help.

You can go to Bunnings and get anti vibration footers the reason way the squash balls work better with holes it can handle both horizontal and vertical vibration . But footer mdf single or double stack . I used an old table top which I cut up which was like 25mm thick and heavy sorbothane then another layer of 25mm thick again on a stand . Mdf will work 19mm get in a sheet and get them to cut it for you . Measure the outer edges of your deck before you go. 

It sounds like your problem is purely a footfall issue. Question, is the floor a floating type, or are the individual boards the actual floor, tongue and groove style?

30 minutes ago, cosmicwheels said:

Hey @DEANO23 

Thank you so much ! I've got stands coming for the yams tomorrow and feeling good about that . Just to clarify I'd essentially be making a base for Thorens plinth to sit on ? Would there be any worth in treating legs of sideboard in a similar way ? Really appreciate the response, feels like youre yelling at a wall sometimes. 

Many thanks .

Yes a stand for the Thorens and anti vibration feet would be good under the legs for the sideboard. Being a rental on a suspended flooring unless you like sneaking in a few extra nails in the floorboards. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:

You can go to Bunnings and get anti vibration footers the reason way the squash balls work better with holes it can handle both horizontal and vertical vibration . But footer mdf single or double stack . I used an old table top which I cut up which was like 25mm thick and heavy sorbothane then another layer of 25mm thick again on a stand . Mdf will work 19mm get in a sheet and get them to cut it for you . Measure the outer edges of your deck before you go. 

Yup, place Whites anti vibration pads under the turntable and the speakers.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

Edited by muon*

This is all very good information !

@t_mike ~ Old floorboards from the 70s(?) you'd think they'd have a bit of gentleness to fellow vintage pieces but alas ! Definitley a footfall issue that I thought the Thorens could handle? 

@DEANO23 ~ This looks like a fix that won't stick out like dog balls and might pacify the situation . 

UPDATE ~ Currenly listening to the Crystal Voyager soundtrack and it sounds ******* unreal.

Thanks guys

30 minutes ago, Marc said:

When you say audio takes a hit, what's actually happening?

Assuming your tracking weight is set correctly for the cartridge you have fitted, I was also going to suggest the squash ball solution for relatively quick and easy fix (they be getting harder to find now no one seems to play squash anymore!).

The speaker stands may also help.

Sorry @Marc ~ haven't read through a forum for a while and missed your initial question . Basically record skips.  Sometimes it's just a hiccup but the turntables in a thoroughfare in my house so being gentle isn't really a great option . Thanks for your help ! 

6 minutes ago, muon* said:

Yup, place Whites anti vibration pads under the turntable and the speakers.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

Thanks @muon* ! would a cut out in the corner of the TT work ? Happy to figure it out but feel like you have a bit more of a clue than me . Thanks !

1 minute ago, cosmicwheels said:

Thanks @muon* ! would a cut out in the corner of the TT work ? Happy to figure it out but feel like you have a bit more of a clue than me . Thanks !

I'd just place then under each corner flush with the edges, or better still, if you can grab a Bamboo cutting board large enough, place them under that and the table on the board.

Placing others under the speakers will clean up the sound of the speakers and reduce vibrations traveling through the floor and into the cabinet.

I'm going to suggest a plinth for your sideboard, that will average out the weight over a large area of your floor and stop individual boards having such an effect.

@cosmicwheels totally off-topic...just wanted to say i love the look of your cabinet. Was that a stock item or a custom build?  Cheers. 2B

1 minute ago, muon* said:

I'd just place then under each corner flush with the edges, or better still, if you can grab a Bamboo cutting board large enough, place them under that and the table on the board.

Placing others under the speakers will clean up the sound of the speakers and reduce vibrations traveling through the floor and into the cabinet.

Chopping board might be a relatively elegant fix at this point ! Further down the line perhaps a plinth rebuild . Slippery slope ! Thank you

1 minute ago, t_mike said:

I'm going to suggest a plinth for your sideboard, that will average out the weight over a large area of your floor and stop individual boards having such an effect.

This is absolutely something I'm aiming for . Is there anyone making anything exceptional in Aus ? I know people who do wood work and would love to approach but unsure of what to ask for ? Thanks again !

2 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

@cosmicwheels totally off-topic...just wanted to say i love the look of your cabinet. Was that a stock item or a custom build?  Cheers. 2B

Hey ! Thank you . Look to be honest it was a very cheap purchase locally on Gumtree to support some Keff q100's and a cheap denon I've had for a long time . Fits the bill completely with new gear however and I'm pretty pleased. 

Another thing maybe, is placing boards under the cabinet feet to spread the load across multiple floor boards, maybe a large vibration pad under them, just a thought. Need to work out if it is the floor boards flexing or if It's the support beams under them that are flexing.

The Whites come in all sorts of density and sizes, the larger cell stuff I linked likely works better if the weight is not extreme compared to the denser stuff.

To me the floorboards look to be the real deal. Typically veneered floating boards are much stronger and durable than real wood and looking at the scratches and wear on those boards I'd say they're legit, which makes sense that the vibrations are being transferred to the sideboard. The floating floors have an underlay that would be more likely to absorb the vibrations.

You could try all the above suggestions here for a quick and easy fix, along with some rubber pads under the four legs of the sideboard. All fixes can be tried relatively inexpensively with a trip to Bunnings. 

Do report back and let us know how you went.

Thanks for your help everyone. Will keep you updated !

Try wedging something solid between the top of your sideboard and the wall, that will prevent any rocking movement that your suspension will not like.

Put something under the legs of the sideboard to give it some level of isolation from the floor.

You need to put something under the turntable, rather than having the plinth directly on the sideboard. At the very least, you should have some rubber adjustable feet under it so that you can ensure that it is level.

If you can get under the house, you may be able to insert some wedges under the floorboards that are moving when stood on from above. The alternative is to add some wood screws to secure any that have movement.

Once that you have done these things, try adjusting the suspension to eliminate any further footfall issues.

You definitely need some form of isolation between the turntable and the side board.  Also it might be just the angle of the photo but it seems your headshell has a pronounced forward lean which would throw your VTA off kilter. Does your treble sound particularly bright?

13 hours ago, cosmicwheels said:

Hello !

So I have these groovy new components in my possession and am trying to acquaint myself with them. So far we are having a ball, few wines and some Sade. Wonderful stuff ! My problem comes when I step on certain floorboards near set up. Audio takes a hit and so does my feeling of absolute smugness . I'm in a rental so am looking for a temporary fix, I also spent all my money so I'm in no position to put a load of cash into the problem but you my fine friends are far smarter than me and have worlds of experience, so what should I do ? Is it as simple as putting carpet under this very cheap sideboard or are there more sinister problems lurking. 

Many thanks,

Jackson

https://klappav.com.au/products/turntable-wall-bracket?v

If its an option...I'd be wall mounting your Deck..

Cheers

Tase

If no squash balls in Tassie then a half-inflated wheelbarrow inner tube. Barry Diament's web site has a bit on this.

There's two schools of though on coupling or decoupling sideboards/ stereo cabinets from the floor. In your case the discussion is irrelevant; it's decoupling in this situation.

If I understood correctly, one possibility could be a large sheet the same size as the sideboard placed on the floor, with decoupling methods underneath it, and put the sideboard on top of it?  Dunno, when I was in this situation I used a wall mounted platform plus antibration squash balls. Anyhoo, I'm wondering if two short lengths of 4x2 would produce a similar result to a big sheet: 1 4x2 at each end of the sideboard, anti vibration under each length, place two legs of sideboard onto each 4x2, maybe spade drill a little recess in each 4x2 for each leg, indeed maybe line each recess with antivibration. Not elegant, but paint it black. (Actually I'd use balsa wood in little blocks instead of 4x2 pine under the feet, and check for crush). I'm speculating here and defer to others, but certainly turntable decoupling first not sideboard decoupling.