Pink Floyd Aussie first pressings vs Uk first pressings

Couldn’t find much info out there on how the Aussie pressings compared to the Uk? Does anyone have multiple copies from different regions that can comment? Also interested to learn how they stack up vs the 2016 reissues?

• Administrator

Can't add much to your actual question, but in my pursuit of the best pressing of Final Cut I ended up with 17 different copies and multiple pressings. The AMIGA label release was the best of the bunch but I don't recall much about that one now - country, year etc. Discogs should be able to bring up answers.

6 minutes ago, MattyW said:

No idea hey. I've a DSOTM Aussie 1st quad pressing.  I prefer the sound of the current represses though 

I am listening to the 2016 reissue if Animals right now. Very happy with it. 

Side 2 was a bit noisy the first couple of times I spun it but after a clean, it sounds perfect now.  Just a heads up for anyone who purchases a fresh one and finds it a bit off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

Of the few copies I have of DSOTM,  the 2016 is the best, but it's not a huge difference.

Which other versions do you have?

55 minutes ago, theMot said:

Couldn’t find much info out there on how the Aussie pressings compared to the Uk? Does anyone have multiple copies from different regions that can comment? Also interested to learn how they stack up vs the 2016 reissues?

They (the AUS) are not considered among the best - for any title.

For the longest, deepest and widest discussions on this, I'd defer to the largest resource I know on it :  https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-vinyl-pressings-pink-floyd-albums.825996/ 

Start there....

IMHO, the 2016 represses are fantastic and for most titles, esepcially The Wall, Animals, Momentary, even DSOTM if you are not inifinitely fussy, they are more than adequate for most of us with less than $500 to spend per title.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to go down the path of early AUS Pink Floyd pressings, some early pressings are pretty similar to UK ones as they used original UK stampers. Later pressings of the same albums didn't. The challenge is of course finding clean early copies these days so, unless you are obsessive and know what you are looking at and/or have the time and money, sounds like the latest reissues are the way to go (although I haven't heard them!).

I'm not a massive Pink Floyd fan/collector, but the AUS ones that I have come across over the years that use UK bits are:

Pipers at Gates of Dawn - stereo (not easily found)

A Saucerful of Secrets - stereo (almost as difficult as Pipers)

More - stereo

Atom Heart Mother - quad

Obscured By Clouds - stereo 

Meddle - stereo, AUS first had UK 1U/1U then a variety of different UK stampers for a bit. 

Dark Side of the Moon - quad, AUS first quads had UK stampers (later quads didn't), stereo didn't. Any earlyish UK stereo is best that I have heard, but it's hard to go too wrong with this one - there are quite a few options!

The first press 1U/1U Meddle is my pick of the original AUS pressings for what it's worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1