caminperth

Searching Time Limits

Hi Mods,

I'm not sure if it's just me, but when performing a search, if you navigate to the second page of the search list or browse to a page from the search and then hit the back button I hit up against the search time limit function. It makes it quite slow to work through search results. 

Any suggestions on if I'm doing it wrong?

Cheers,

Cam

Using "Back" buttons on any form of dynamic website (as opposed to static HTML sites) is not considered 'best practice'. What happens is it submits your query once again. Hence why you come up against the time limit. It would be great as designers if we could tell browsers to deactivate the Back button.

You should use site navigation, "return to search results", page numbers, or the breadcrumb navigation.

I'll take a look at the search function now to see if I can replicate and establish if there's a bug though.

Out of interest, was there a hyphen in your search term.

I noticed a few days ago that seemed to slow the results right down so I'll lodge a ticket on that issue now. I thought it may have been just me but it seems to only affect search terms with hypens.

If so, try taking the hyphen out and please report back.

20 minutes ago, Marc said:

Out of interest, was there a hyphen in your search term.

I noticed a few days ago that seemed to slow the results right down so I'll lodge a ticket on that issue now. I thought it may have been just me but it seems to only affect search terms with hypens.

If so, try taking the hyphen out and please report back.

Thanks for the quick replies @Marc

I'll follow your advice on using the site navigation and see how it goes. 

No hyphens in the search terms.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, caminperth said:

Hi Mods,

I'm not sure if it's just me, but when performing a search, if you navigate to the second page of the search list or browse to a page from the search and then hit the back button I hit up against the search time limit function. It makes it quite slow to work through search results. 

Any suggestions on if I'm doing it wrong?

Cheers,

Cam

I have also found this on a regular basis, even when not using hyphens. However I will try the suggestions made and see if there is an improvement.

Edited by rantan

Just now, rantan said:

I have also found this on a regular basis, even when not using hyphens.

How recently @rantan - have you tried recently?

Were you also using the Back button instead of page numbers and breadcrumb navigation?

Hi @Marc.

I tried this yesterday and used the page number, after reading an earlier post from you about the "back button", and having had poor experiences with it on this and other sites as well, so I don't use that any longer.

@Marc.

Just as an update, I just did a search and used the page number and it came up as an error

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

@Marc.

Just as an update, I just did a search and used the page number and it came up as an error

I can report the same. 

What is the error you are seeing? Can you give me the search term so I can reproduce it please?

If it is "marc sucks", you will be banned 😛

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

What is the error you are seeing? Can you give me the search term so I can reproduce it please?

If it is "marc sucks", you will be banned 😛

You got me on the search term! 🤣

Just searched "Dynaudio", got to the results, clicked on page number 2 and was sent to the below:

2141845688_ScreenShot2020-05-16at10_00_14am.png.a5cc035ae171d7a12a86d8c6f0829420.png

1 minute ago, caminperth said:

You got me on the search term! 🤣

Just searched "Dynaudio", got to the results, clicked on page number 2 and was sent to the below:

2141845688_ScreenShot2020-05-16at10_00_14am.png.a5cc035ae171d7a12a86d8c6f0829420.png

Yep same here. And when you wait 25 seconds to get to page two, you get a similar error attempting to go back to page 1

Please try again, all.

Have also made some additional changes to help the search engine work more efficiently. One of the limitations though is restricting results to the last 365 days. As just pointed out by on of the engineers at Invision, we have over 4 millions posts but not the control room of Google to power it.

There is an option to offload our search capability to an external provider, but this comes at considerable additional monthly cost.

53 minutes ago, Marc said:

Please try again, all.

works well now. Thanks vm

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Please try again, all.

Works well - thanks Marc! 

.........and to make the hat trick, it is now working perfectly for me also.

Thank you @Marc