Peterepeat

JENSEN SPX19 SUBWOOFER HELP!:)

Bought one of these dual Jensen subs years ago and recently brought it out and hooked it up and it’s only making a humming sound, it could be dust or the fried plate amp..I’m not electronically minded so I’m not quite sure what to do with it, take out the plate amp and take it to an electronics repair shop?$$$ or would it be cheaper to buy another plate amp and learn how to install it myself. It was an amazing sub and I never really had it up loud at all so I’m sure it’s not the woofers themselves. Any help would be greatly appreciated 👍

Any help? I’m a noob to electronics 

20 minutes ago, Peterepeat said:

Any help? I’m a noob to electronics 

I'm no expert but will try and help.

So it makes the hum just by connecting it to power with no other connections?

Given the potential value of the unit I probably wouldn't bother with getting it repaired because it will cost more than its worth.

But you could look at getting another plate amp and connect it, I've done that and its an easy positive and negative connection so worthwhile if you can find one that fits.

That said, if you love the Jensen maybe just look for another one, looks like they go for a couple of hundred dollars second hand.

Posted (edited)

If you have hum, it is worth trying to identify if you have a ground loop somewhere in the house.

Edit - Sorry, only just read that it is ONLY humming

Edited by thathifiguy

I know this sounds like a silly thing, but I would turn the unit OFF and cycle the volume control from 0 to 100% and then 100% to 0% gain, and repeat a number of times (maybe for 30 seconds or so)

I had this issue with a subwoofer in the past and there was dust in the gain potentiometer. Moving it back and forth moved any carbon that had built up that was causing a short (in this case was causing a buzzing/humming sound).

If it is still humming you can turn the unit on and just cycle the volume up back and forth (so like 0 to 10%, 0 to 15%, 0 to 20%) slowly to see if it makes a difference. If it does with a bit of work you should be able to get the unit going great (there might be still a bit of a hum at say 95%-100% or 0-5% where the carbon/dust particles would build up but you won't be using that range anyway.

Try it out and feel free to let me know :)

It is  a common fault with the plate amplifier. The ganged potentiometers tend to  go open circuit with age and they will require replacement. Finding replacements could be a problem , though,  as they are not common service items.

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2020 at 6:19 AM, VanArn said:

It is  a common fault with the plate amplifier. The ganged potentiometers tend to  go open circuit with age and they will require replacement. Finding replacements could be a problem , though,  as they are not common service items.

Thanks for your reply👌
it has a 260w rms plate amp, what in your opinion would be an appropriate replacement plate amp for these dual long throw subs? 
would be awesome to get one that was the same size and specs, any ideas? Also what is the level of difficulty in installing one? Cheers 👍

5CECB8B5-DD71-4BB6-B71D-A4692A3812CC.jpeg

Edited by Peterepeat
Pic

The Dayton SPA 250 would match power wise but it does not use the  front control escutcheon feature of the Jensen SPX19. The Dayton panel is 250 mm x 250 mm , so that could also be an issue  requiring a  cabinet modification..

The port tuning of the SPX 19 is  too high  to obtain the benefit of the + 6dB,  35 Hz boost level and  to obtain better performance it should be re-tuned to  around 30 to 35  Hz. This would require an extension of the existing port tube .

Just so we're covering all the basics of basics, your definitely feeding an RCA input into the INPUT RCAs and running nothing else except the power cord?

If running Left & Right RCA cables just double check they're not crossed.

Plate amps will hum if the above happens to be wrong. Sorry, just helping ruling out the absolute obvious.

I used to have one of these - good unit

I know what solves the humming issue, I had the same problem... Went through 3 brand new until someone helped me out. It's the earth causing it to hum.. Buy a double adapter, break off earth pin (bottom pin) on the double adapter. Then plug subwoofer into the double adapter. It sounds crazy but fixed the issue. Good luck.