Hi All, As the title says, I am a newbie to headphones, in the sense that, I have never really delved into the pro’s and con’s, I have just used cheap known brands, until now, I have decided to take note and educate myself a bit more here, so, I have a Schiit Magni 3 with a Loki coming and I will also be using a Musical Fidelity X Can V3, with the PSU V3 and the matching Musical Fidelity tube buffer, as for headphones, I am looking at Sennheiser HD 600 and Sennheiser HD 650, I like most of the classic rock music, classical music, 1920’s to 1930’s Jazz and Blues, real country music, bluegrass and ambient music, I love to hear details, fast paced slam, clear with no brightness nor harshness and no wooly or boosted bass, just to give you all an idea, so, which Sennheiser’s would suit ? also, I am open to other brands, my budget is up to $500 new or used, will be used in my bedroom system, where I don’t need to consider anyone else, also, how would you compare closed back to open back  ? I have never used anything but closed back headphones. 

Posted (edited)

Closed gives some isolation. If your listening room isn't dead quiet, then the volume you listen to fights against the ambeint noise.

In general;

1. Open cans sound more open. Larger soundstage.

2. Closed cans cut out some noise, and you're likely to listen at lower volumes as a result (good for your ears!) They tend to have a smaller soundstage.

I suggest, based of current crazy AF pricing. These two as a open and closed options. The value-for-money here is insane.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-elegia-closed-back-headphones-b-stock

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-elear-open-back-headphones

Also consider the Hifiman Sundara as an open option.

The HD6XX is an excellent choice for $250 too. Hard to beat at that price point. But currently some options that pants it at $500-600 as per above.

Edited by Bengineer

I am not really after loudness in volume, how big a difference is the soundstage between closed and open back headphones ?

Has nothing to do with loudness in volume.

My point was if you have 40db of ambient noise, PC running etc.

The volume you'd listen to your open cans at would be higher than what you'd listen to your closed cans at, for the same perfceived volume/detail.

And it depends between models, that's why its hard to say. Heaps of open headphones aren't particularly wide. And some closed backs basically sound open.

At the momey you're spending, its hard to make generalisations to help.

The Elegia and Elear, for $500 new, will be technically the best you can get.

For $250 the HD6XX is excellent.

Sundara is a highly rated headphone in this range too.

MrSpeakers Aeon Open and Closed dropped in price and got snapped up, but appear in used market for cheap and are great neutral cans. Comfort for days.

Great advice Bengineer, took me on an information journey and I will shortly receive some Elears as an upgrade to Hdxx’s. 

Hope wifey doesn’t notice....

Hi All, Update, I was able to purchase a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 headphones and they are everything that has been described, also, to add, there is bottom end to these, now I don’t have anything else to compare these to, these being my first real taste of better headphones than I have been using over the years, having said that, I also intend to purchase a pair of Sennheiser HD 650’s and they probably won’t be the last either.