Jump to content

aussievintage

Today is Mono Classical day

Recommended Posts

 

During our stay at home period, I have been washing and cataloguing my backlog of thrift store purchases.  In my delving I just hit a vein of classical stuff.  I am 4 records in and enjoying the great mono sound from these labels.  Especially the Decca ffrr - they really new how to record stuff well.

 

 

IMG_20200514_110601.jpg.fd90a991a37c73aba56b37b967eaa33a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will get out my rca red label mono Heifetz records. 

Early stereo was usually really badly balanced as they wanted to demonstrate two different channels. 

Early Beatles stereo were truly awful.

Edited by Colin Rutter
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I will get out my rca red label mono Hiefitz records. 

Early stereo was usually really badly balanced as they wanted to demonstrate two different channels. 

Early Beatles stereo were truly awful.

 

I have some of those Heifetz monos too.  RCA is a fairly good label for good sound back then.  I would put Decca ffrr and DG ahead of them and Columbia  and HMV a little behind.  There's some other really good labels out there too, like early Westminster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your "rating" of those labels. 

But the performance is the most important.

Not every DG does it for me and there is no perfect manufacurer/ producer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I agree with your "rating" of those labels. 

But the performance is the most important.

Not every DG does it for me and there is no perfect manufacurer/ producer. 

 

Performance can make a dubious recording a pleasure to listen to.    

 

With DG, the old tale about the tulip label being best is true.

 

I didn't mention CBS, but the early Australian octagonal label, especially the gold lettered is really good as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find CBS my least favoured for SQ they have a "compressed" feel to my taste.

The Bob Dylan albums for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I find CBS my least favoured for SQ they have a "compressed" feel to my taste.

The Bob Dylan albums for example.

I agree, but the old stuff was better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bunch of old mono classical recordings of great performers, and they can be very satisfying once you get past the lack of sound stage. It really is about the music. Even better if you can use a mono (or strapped stereo cartridge)- reduces the noise considerably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Juzbear said:

I have a bunch of old mono classical recordings of great performers, and they can be very satisfying once you get past the lack of sound stage. It really is about the music. 

 

I often get fooled, when it's a good recording, into hearing some spacial separation between the instruments.  Just shows how the brain steps in to try to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only go Mono for the historical performance aspect (e.g.  early Furtwangler) and put up with the sound. Piano fares reasonably well though. There are enough great versions in Stereo to satisfy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

I only go Mono for the historical performance aspect (e.g.  early Furtwangler) and put up with the sound. Piano fares reasonably well though. There are enough great versions in Stereo to satisfy.

I have another slightly cheapskate reason.  Old records were always cheap at charity shops and sales.  It was a chance to experience a lot of stuff I would not have spent money on.  Turns out it doesn't need to be stereo to be VERY enjoyable listening.

 

These days with streaming I guess there is another alternative.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have another slightly cheapskate reason.  Old records were always cheap at charity shops and sales.  It was a chance to experience a lot of stuff I would not have spent money on.  Turns out it doesn't need to be stereo to be VERY enjoyable listening.

 

These days with streaming I guess there is another alternative. 

Agreed, often it's the thrill of listening to a rare find. I'm out of vinyl now but recently heard a DSD version of Furtwangler in Mono performing Beethoven's 5th which was worth it for the performance alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Throwing on a mono recording of one of my favourite pieces of chamber music in honour of the thread.

64906422-086F-4042-BC8C-4DC2233B7507.jpeg

Edited by Juzbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Juzbear said:

Throwing on a mono recording of one of my favourite pieces of chamber music in honour of the thread.

64906422-086F-4042-BC8C-4DC2233B7507.jpeg

Well done.  By coincidence, late yesterday I played the same piece - but a difference recording, mine was on HMV mono.  Yours is on my favourite Decca label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be worth hearing B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just found this great record.  A really lovely old Westminster containing some really beautiful music that I never knew existed.  Interesting concept Songs without Words.

 

IMG_20200515_121603.jpg.b1ccf0b031405def33012667a5cdb334.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Some more mono goodness- Mozart Clarinet quintet in A major. Giving me an excuse to use the Decca eq on my phono preamp.

2FC662FC-D3A8-48FE-9635-33DAE4FA2E8D.jpeg

Edited by Juzbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...