Posted (edited)

Picked up some acoustic pinboard and stuck it on both sides of my inner door for some sound absorption and i think it looks great and certainly helps with containing the sound inside. Cant believe how nice and tidy this stuff looks. Picked it up from bunnings for 70 bucks a sheet 2.4x1.2. Cut with a stanley knife.

IMGP2766.JPG

IMGP2769.JPG

IMGP2770.JPG

Edited by drummerboy01

My cat would crazy on that stuff!😕

How did you make the door fit the frame, did you cut the pinboard so it doesn’t interfere with the door jamb? From your picture it looks like it’s going edge to edge.

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

How did you make the door fit the frame, did you cut the pinboard so it doesn’t interfere with the door jamb? From your picture it looks like it’s going edge to edge.

Yep correct, i cut the pinboard. I used the the machined edge to the handle side of the door and just cut the rest to match the frames with a stanley knife and a straight edge.It cuts fine and straight providing you cut it with new blades. A little interference is ok, like a couple of mil to keep it nice and tight. As far as the 30 mm handle side face goes it was a tight fit so no need to stick pinboard to it. It looks spot on and straight.

I used it a few months back to semi block off an opening. In my case I laminated two sheets together using spray contact adhesive. Works well and is very easy to cut.

received_429395504388153.jpeg

received_2725103731049798.jpeg

20191115_152129.jpg

Nice work Tubularbells. I think this stuff would stick well on the ceiling too.I have the Martini Absorb on my walls cut up into panels although I think this stuff would go well on the ceiling. It seems to be lighter and would probably use Velcro on ceiling.

Looks like a great solution, thanks for sharing. May save hundreds of dollars, as I was looking into panels.

remember these are only 9mm thick so they are not going to be that effective for anything but high frequency absorption and they need to be mounted with a 9mm air gap to be most effective at that as well.

By the the time you buy 3 of them to make it 1" thick they are getting quite expensive.

Although I calculated they are very dense - 426kg/m3 (or thereabouts) - not sure how that compares to other polyester products but from my quick search it seems to be at lest twice as dense which I don't think is what you really want.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the above as I am certainly no expert.

Posted (edited)

I didn't know it came in big sheets. I used the light grey 600x800 sheets on the floor of my van It works a treat. I would love to use the large sheets on the walls of the van. Off to Bunnings tomorrow!

Edited by Pim
got the colour wrong...

On 14/05/2020 at 2:49 PM, drummerboy01 said:

I think this stuff would go well on the ceiling. It seems to be lighter and would probably use Velcro on ceiling.

what do you want it to do? do you want to absorb only the highest frequencies in your room?

16 hours ago, sufioz said:

May save hundreds of dollars, as I was looking into panels.

again, what do you want it to do? what room acoustic issue are you looking to solve?

13 hours ago, niterida said:

remember these are only 9mm thick so they are not going to be that effective for anything but high frequency absorption

agreed

Some rooms have too many reflective surfaces and need absorption in the top end.

Nearly every room has issues below 500Hz, and these will do nothing in that region.

By the time you've managed your room issues <500Hz, you're looking to cover absorption to reflect higher frequencies back into the room.

This looks like a great product for a notice board to pin notices to.

Mike

On 15/05/2020 at 6:53 AM, sufioz said:

Looks like a great solution, thanks for sharing. May save hundreds of dollars, as I was looking into panels.

Hey sufioz, what this acoustic pinboard has done for me, is it stopped my inner hardwood/solid door from vibrating as my sub goes down ridiculously low  and used to vibrate the door when watching movies. This pinboard has totally solved that issue and made the door look smart too. I even stuck some around my frame. I used Martini Absorb for my main panels which are 100mm thick,but you don't NEED them 100mm thick. What you need to take notice off is the NRC rating on absorption and how much absorption they actually absorb.There was no way that i could fit the 100mm thick panel onto the door and then expect to close the door. That was never going to happen,but the pinboard is ideal for my needs.

177390.jpg

Here is some pics of the steel door frame that i covered.

IMGP2788.JPG

IMGP2791.JPG

IMGP2792.JPG

IMGP2793.JPG

IMGP2794.JPG

IMGP2795.JPG

IMGP2796.JPG

On 16/05/2020 at 9:16 AM, drummerboy01 said:

Here is some pics of the steel door frame that i covered.

IMGP2788.JPG

IMGP2791.JPG

IMGP2792.JPG

IMGP2793.JPG

IMGP2794.JPG

IMGP2795.JPG

IMGP2796.JPG

I'm an acoustic engineer and liking this!

The snug fit is working like perimeter seals too.

Is your door solid or hollow core? Boards will have added some mass too to help with break out noise and potentially some damping. 

It’s a solid door.One thing to note is that it is now snug and echo free when closing the door and opening.Also when the sub is in action my door no longer rattles. You can feel the difference when opening and closing the door.Just a note when sticking it to the door use liquid nails instead as it sticks better than spray adhesive. I personally think it was a step in the right direction for me.

How good is this pin board at absorbing light ?

20 minutes ago, jklow888 said:

How good is this pin board at absorbing light ?

I think the depth of the shadow on the black material on the door you can see in the photo two posts above tells you a fair bit about how non-reflective they are.  Compare it to the reflection of light within the shadow of the painted wall.

Have you tried the door seal around the frame?