Why is Adelaide/SA home of many great Australian-made speaker manufacturers ?

1 minute ago, ikhuong said:

Added Ascension audio, Halcro, Duntech to the list, thanks for the info.

do we have anything on history of duntech and adelaide, all i could find was below.... which says USA was birthplace  :D 

HISTORY

Duntech Audio's founder was John Dunlavy. The original venture, Audio Standards began in Texas, USA. It eventually became Duntech Audio and later on Duntech International.

John Dunlavy's early history had often been shrouded in secrecy and that was the case for many years (in fact until the end of the cold war).John Dunlavy speciality was wave propagation and radar. Duntech's claim to fame, besides our benchmark sounding loudspeaker, the "Sovereign PCL 2001", was John's association with the first man moon landing. The first words sent back to earth from the moon was done through an antenna design developed by our founder John Dunlavy. Besides the involvement with the first moon landing, Duntech also pioneered "VLF"(very low frequencies) communications. This enabled the US submarines to communicate with submarines of her allies, without the enemies listening in. But John Dunlavy was also an audiophile, he had concepts of how loudspeakers need to be designed. This special pre-requites later became known as Duntech's design "Prime Directives".

John had since passed away but his legacy remains. He had passed on the "Prime Directives" to the new team to continue the work he started so many years ago.

There are various bits of information on different websites about John Dunlavy, but I have not come across an official history either.

From what I've read, it appears he started Duntech in the US during the late 70s, then moved his company to Australia in the mid 80s (Adelaide, I presume). He then returned to the US in the early 90s, separated from Duntech Audio in Australia, and started Dunlavy Audio Labs in the US.

I can remember going to a Hi-Fi show in North Adelaide in what was then the Hotel Australia a long time ago. I can't remember the exact year, but I think it must have been late 70s.

I remember going into one of the demo rooms and listening to what looked like a pair of prototype Duntech speakers. From memory, I believe each speaker actually consisted of three boxes stacked on top of each other. I forget what music they were playing, but they were huge speakers in a small room playing very loud, the curtains were moving and I could feel the air thumping my chest.

There was an American gentleman demonstrating them, and at the time I didn't know who he was. Later on, seeing photos of John Dunlavy, it became obvious to me that it was him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yeah dont know, ive read all sort of things on this, there doesn't really seem to be much in way of offical history, i guess brand change hands so hard to keep track...

Duntech has been sold a few times here but Dunlavy was a totally separate entity when John Dunlavy left Australia - disillusioned with the dealer network here I believe :(

cheers

11 minutes ago, Tranquility Bass said:

Duntech has been sold a few times here but Dunlavy was a totally separate entity when John Dunlavy left Australia - disillusioned with the dealer network here I believe :(

cheers

That may well be true. Some of the details I posted came from this site (To moderators: I hope this doesn't violate conditions of use, as it is from another forum. Please feel free to remove if it does.)

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dunlavy-audio-labs-archive-from-the-mind-of-a-legend.769216/

17 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Hi folks,

Any reason/idea why Adelaide is home of many well-known speaker manufacturers?

naming a few: 

Kyron Audio

VAF

Hulgich Audio

Krix

Ascension audio

Duntech

Halcro

I feel huge limitations for Australians to approach our own domestic products because limited dealers/showrooms in capital cities such as Sydney/Melbourne or Perth. Most local hifi shops in capital cities only stock and demo overseas brands like PMC, Dyn, B&W. Looks like there is a gap/distance between local hifi shops with Australian hifi manufacturers?

myself could audition a Hulgich Audio  Ella Mk2, did not have much time but the vocal and mid beat PMC 25.26 in miles.

thanks,

Totally agree, I would also like to proudly own very Australian made audiophile-grade speakers. The Ella Mk2s look amazing, it really looks like Australian manufacturers can make serious speakers that look good and sound great at an affordable price. What is missing in the supply chain here I wonder?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, betty boop said:

do we have anything on history of duntech and adelaide, all i could find was below.... which says USA was birthplace  :D 

Fwiw, I read that Duntech was formed after Dunlavy moved his operation to SA to take advantage of some keen tax incentives for manufacturers, being offered by the State Goverment.

Perhaps they all (or many of them) were created  in response to those tax breaks.

I'll post here if I can find the reference source.

Edited by Uncle Seth
couldn't spell the word "by"
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

moved his operation to SA to take advantage of some keen tax incentives for manufacturers, being offered y the State Goverment.

Which, I am told today is still the case. SA offers great incentives to manufacturers and that alone is one of the reasons some of our speaker manufacturers are based there. In some cases they moved there after commencing operations, for the same reason.

Anyway, Duntech/Dunlavy is no longer SA or Adelaide based.

• Like 2

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, Marc said:

Which, I am told today is still the case. SA offers great incentives to manufacturers and that alone is one of the reasons some of our speaker manufacturers are based there. In some cases they moved there after commencing operations, for the same reason.

Anyway, Duntech/Dunlavy is no longer SA or Adelaide based.

Interesting, I didn't know about the incentives.

Certainly a very impressive list of some of the icons of Australian hifi ?

6 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

:na::na:

Yes! SA has great speakers , but the customers who own some of these speakers a great too 

The same applies to those who aspire to own these magnificent speakers!

On 13/05/2020 at 11:05 PM, ikhuong said:

One reason on Hulgich Audio is low volume and attention to perfection 

https://experimenteur.com.au/2018/03/01/the-pricing-dilemma-premium-or-luxury/

Another reason for low volume production is that for some manufacturers, a small increase eg 10 pieces to 20 pieces per mth just increases the headaches not the profit margin much. The better profit comes in when you go much larger and get the economies of scale (along with the high stress levels!) 

6 minutes ago, genkifd said:

So glad ive ordered a pair of Hulgich Dukes

How long to wait? As per article, he makes like 6 pairs a month.

also, did you buy direct manufacturers?

thanks if you can share

Edited by ikhuong

On 13/05/2020 at 10:15 PM, ikhuong said:

Hi folks,

Any reason/idea why Adelaide is home of many well-known speaker manufacturers?

naming a few: 

Kyron Audio

VAF

Hulgich Audio

Krix

Ascension audio

Duntech

Halcro

I feel huge limitations for Australians to approach our own domestic products because limited dealers/showrooms in capital cities such as Sydney/Melbourne or Perth. Most local hifi shops in capital cities only stock and demo overseas brands like PMC, Dyn, B&W. Looks like there is a gap/distance between local hifi shops with Australian hifi manufacturers?

myself could audition a Hulgich Audio  Ella Mk2, did not have much time but the vocal and mid beat PMC 25.26 in miles.

thanks,

Hello folks,

If things go as planned, we'll soon be in some places in Australia. We'll notify you when everything is ready.

Greetings

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, ikhuong said:

How long to wait? As per article, he makes like 6 pairs a month.

also, did you buy direct manufacturers?

thanks if you can share

actually i delayed the delivery / payments as we are renovating our place. didnt want to move the speakers from one place to another. Yes i purchased my speakers straight from Nick.

• Like 4

Every night, when I listen to my Hulgich Dukes, I am repeatedly surprised how sub-$20k can sound this good. 

When I auditioned some 6-figure TOTL speakers from Focal, MBL, Raidho, sure I liked the sound but they were in the realm of unaffordable for me. But now the Duke is making me want to spend the same amount of money on a larger room.

I've been quoted north of $200k for a 6x10 home theatre as an extension to the rear of my house. If I have spare change left over I might buy a new DAC, pre or power amp, but the Hulgichs are here to stay.

• Like 4

I have had my Hulgich Ella Mk2 for nearly 2 years and I am still amazed and wowed by them.  

Since owning them I definitely listen to music most nights, way more than I used to.  The Hulgich speakers are a bargain.

• Like 3

On 14/05/2020 at 11:00 AM, bryansamui said:

Yes! Mine are are getting made now. Custom builds. (3 weeks away) and the quality of drivers he uses are the ones used in overseas speakers with 5 figure pricetags. 

Hi, Was interested in the Ascension speakers. But never could find a place to hear them. How would you describe the sound or a comparable brand?

13 minutes ago, 2Dculture said:

Hi, Was interested in the Ascension speakers. But never could find a place to hear them. How would you describe the sound or a comparable brand?

Hi Michael.. Haven't heard them.. Mine arrive in about a week.. Have literally taken a punt on their reputation.. One person owns them after ridding a $5,000 pair of ATCscm19... Another preferred them to some very expensive B&W and his next upgrade after owning them was $10,000 pair of German speakers.. Asensions by all accounts have deep tuneful bass (transmission line) clear detailed mids and a smooth detailed treble ( no dreaded 'icepick in the ear'.. Relaxed easy listen, great accurate( not bloated) bass.. I will post some info i get them.. They have a big reputation. Mine are a 1 off Custom build large. Stand Mount. Look like a Spendor 1/2 (google that).. They're going to be in white.. 

Cheers. 

On 17/05/2020 at 10:50 PM, bryansamui said:

Hi Michael.. Haven't heard them.. Mine arrive in about a week.. Have literally taken a punt on their reputation.. One person owns them after ridding a $5,000 pair of ATCscm19... Another preferred them to some very expensive B&W and his next upgrade after owning them was $10,000 pair of German speakers.. Asensions by all accounts have deep tuneful bass (transmission line) clear detailed mids and a smooth detailed treble ( no dreaded 'icepick in the ear'.. Relaxed easy listen, great accurate( not bloated) bass.. I will post some info i get them.. They have a big reputation. Mine are a 1 off Custom build large. Stand Mount. Look like a Spendor 1/2 (google that).. They're going to be in white.. 

Cheers. 

Oh... I'm more curious about them now. Looking forward to your thoughts. I'm quite interested in their bookshelf speakers. 

• Like 1