Bang for buck has always been a driving force for me since I traded my first system in and so far I haven't
been disappointed. In the end whenever that is I will probably end up with floorstanders.

So far:

Paradigm Atom V3
Usher s520
AR19's
Sansui AS-100
Whardale Diamond 220
Ascension Speakers 6" 2 Way sealed cabinet, updated with new crossovers by Red Spade Audio
Axis VoiceBox
Mark Houston 2 way's
Richter Merlin v5
Klipsch RP160m's
Harbeth C7es2's

What I would still like to try
Boston Acoustics A26's
Harbeth P3ESR's
Vienna Acoustic Haydn's (I look in the classifieds and have to poke myself in the eye with a blunt stick as a discipline)
JBL Studio 530's
Legend Acoustics
Numerous Others (this is my favourite brand).

Bang for buck.... These.

A little work involved but at around $1k a bargain.

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.097a7e46445a39ace41cbbb329c45705.JPG

IMG_0107.thumb.JPG.c72c017d8ce5649ef2a61097a2548a75.JPG

The Revel M16 offer excellent bang for the buck. 

On 13/05/2020 at 11:38 AM, gwurb said:

If the most expensive passive speakers that I could buy would be b&w 606 then I would be happy with 'settling' for not having anything 'better'. The recent sale on them was great value! I like the sound of them more than KEF, Q Accoustics and Monitor Audio in the same price range.

How much were they going for?

7 minutes ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

How much were they going for?

$935 with shipping or $890 at store on open box special. Just checked, it seems that they are still advertised for that at videopro.

27 minutes ago, gwurb said:

$935 with shipping or $890 at store on open box special. Just checked, it seems that they are still advertised for that at videopro.

Thanks mate

On 14/05/2020 at 5:56 PM, muzzagruzz said:

Legend Acoustics has just released the Tripos - a three way bookshelf speaker that uses the Kurre enclosure. Should be a lovely speaker. 

There’s also Marten Oscar Duo which I have and they are unbelievably good. 

The new Marten Parker Duo also looks promising, seems to be one of the cheapest standmount with diamond tweeters (20k!?)

7 hours ago, MAST88 said:

The new Marten Parker Duo also looks promising, seems to be one of the cheapest standmount with diamond tweeters (20k!?)

Yes, I’ve been looking at those. They look stunning in the piano walnut. 

Sonus Faber Electa Amator 3. 

I really like Totem Rainmakers. Very detailed but warm sounding with great imaging. 

Or these larger ones - bigger room required, of course.

Stirling Domestic

On 19/05/2020 at 6:49 PM, Batty said:

Bang for buck.... These.

A little work involved but at around $1k a bargain.

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.097a7e46445a39ace41cbbb329c45705.JPG

IMG_0107.thumb.JPG.c72c017d8ce5649ef2a61097a2548a75.JPG

What are these Batty? Lenehans kits?

Yes LK1

Posted (edited)

I’ve used a pair of KEF XQ20 and currently a pair of Paradigm S2 V3 Signature speakers on genuine matching KEF and Paradigm quality stands. I’d probably like to try a pair of B&W 805’s at some stage.

JDH

Edited by jdh500

All those brands have great representation at different price ranges.  Maybe work out how much you want to spend first?

Bang for buck and resale value are high on my list of requirements and the LS50 (if you have a high power, high current amp) is pretty good value IMHO.  Especially second hand.

Maybe even 2 bookshelves you can swap over?   Been doing this with my system for years.  Keeps things interesting.

B&W-Elac, Elac-Proac, Elac-Buchardt, Buchardt-KEF

19 minutes ago, Spukee said:

All those brands have great representation at different price ranges.  Maybe work out how much you want to spend first?

Bang for buck and resale value are high on my list of requirements and the LS50 (if you have a high power, high current amp) is pretty good value IMHO.  Especially second hand.

Maybe even 2 bookshelves you can swap over?   Been doing this with my system for years.  Keeps things interesting.

Which models did you have, and how did they compare?

Cheers

24 minutes ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

Which models did you have, and how did they compare?

Cheers

Nothing fancy - B&W685, Elac BS244, Proac 1SC, Buchardt S400, KEF LS50.

Loved and kept most of them for years - all had their own strengths and sound signature.

B&W - Just a good budget all-rounder with sizzling top end

Elac BS244 - Pin point imaging, great bass, transient speed

Proac 1SC - Magical midrange, Tone

Buchardt S400 - Depth, Soundstage, Frequency response

KEF LS50 - Detail, Punch, Exciting top end

The only ones I didn't keep for very long were the Jamo C803 and Krix Equinox.

That's the great thing about bookshelves - easy to try new ones, and easy to move if it does not work out for you :-).  As long as you don't go too exotic...

4 hours ago, Spukee said:

So I guess you got the LS50 back Spukee? 😜

Posted (edited)

Kef Ls50 passive and active, Kef Ref 1 (not for buck), Linn Kan 1, Jamo Concert 8, Proac 1sc and Studio 100, Sonus Faber Elector Amator, B&W 805, Mark and Daniel Maximus, Lenehans, WAR Audio Dianes, Chartwell Ls3/5a, Whatmough 202.

Edited by Al.M

Bang for bucks you probably can't beat the Usher S520.Especially when you could buy them for $320.The breed as a whole will always be compromised but at least the S520s are relatively free of the fake bass approach that seems to be ubiquitous.

The Mark and Daniel Maximus have been mentioned and I agree they are very good.Let down by lacking image height unless you buy the optional upfiring tweeter but still excellent.

Best by far are the Dynaudio C1 but they are very pricey.You hear them and you wonder why other smallish stand mounts sound so bad  and why the cheaper Dynaudio models in particular sound nothing like them.

I have a pair of the S-520, they need a powerful amp to sound their best, at the moment mine are in the shed being driven by a 20 watt class A MF A1, not the best setup.

They come alive when driven by my Copland CSA29 which can deliver up to 85 watts.

Posted (edited)

Having recently listened to several book shelf speakers of various price points from the VA Hayden SE’s, Dyn C1’s, and the eye watering expensive SF Guarneri Homages and Confidence 20’s.
Out of the above I liked the C1’s and the SF’s the most, with my vote going to the C1’s based in part on the amazing value they are for the SQ delivered compared to the much more expensive models I listened too. The new Confidence 20 Dyn’s didn’t really do it for me I must admit.

Anyway I have a new favourite the limited edition VA Hayden Jubilee, it is a even smaller speaker than the Hayden SE  which was not large in the first place, and has a rear port unlike the SE.
The Jubilee is stunning to listen to, especially if you are into vocal based music like Cohen, Jacintha, Gardot etc. Having said that it does complicated bits of music and bass incredibly well. however if pushed it can get overwhelmed with really big bass music like the first track on London Grammars first album, which to be fair often even overwhelms floor standers.

How does the Jubilee compare to the Hayden SE? Night and day, the SE’s are great speakers for what they cost, but the Jubilee version is exceptional at any price point.
If you hear them with the right amplification, and they do suck up lots of power to sound their best, you would not believe that you are listening to small bookshelf’s, they truly sound like medium sized quality floorstanders. Plus they are not expensive which to me must also come into any equation when comparing HiFi components. 

By now you might have worked out that I am blown away by these small speakers, which I am, they would not replace my floor standers but they would find a home alongside. 
For small room listening these would be a very good option if you can find a pair.

Anyway rant over.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO

Audioconnection have the Dali Epicon 2 half RRP price. 

I love mine :)

I recently had a listen to the Wharfdale 4.1 and 4.2’s.  Both stunning and for the fairly small price, the 4.1’s  were the biggest bang for buck I’ve heard in quite a while 

My Favourite all time bookshelf are these.CharioSonnet-1.jpg

I've heard them twice and stupidly never bought the only pair I've ever seen for sale which was here some time ago. Aren't they beautiful!