19 minutes ago, Spukee said:

All those brands have great representation at different price ranges.  Maybe work out how much you want to spend first?

Bang for buck and resale value are high on my list of requirements and the LS50 (if you have a high power, high current amp) is pretty good value IMHO.  Especially second hand.

Maybe even 2 bookshelves you can swap over?   Been doing this with my system for years.  Keeps things interesting.

B&W-Elac, Elac-Proac, Elac-Buchardt, Buchardt-KEF

Which models did you have, and how did they compare?

Cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are so many good stand mount speakers out there, but if you are open to something a bit different to the usual suspects you could have a look at the Contrast range of crossoverless  speakers.

My Favourite all time bookshelf are these.   I've heard them twice and stupidly never bought the only pair I've ever seen for sale which was here some time ago. Aren't they beautiful!

Bang for buck.... These. A little work involved but at around $1k a bargain.

24 minutes ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

Which models did you have, and how did they compare?

Cheers

Nothing fancy - B&W685, Elac BS244, Proac 1SC, Buchardt S400, KEF LS50.

Loved and kept most of them for years - all had their own strengths and sound signature.

B&W - Just a good budget all-rounder with sizzling top end

Elac BS244 - Pin point imaging, great bass, transient speed

Proac 1SC - Magical midrange, Tone

Buchardt S400 - Depth, Soundstage, Frequency response

KEF LS50 - Detail, Punch, Exciting top end

The only ones I didn't keep for very long were the Jamo C803 and Krix Equinox.

That's the great thing about bookshelves - easy to try new ones, and easy to move if it does not work out for you :-).  As long as you don't go too exotic...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Spukee said:

All those brands have great representation at different price ranges.  Maybe work out how much you want to spend first?

Bang for buck and resale value are high on my list of requirements and the LS50 (if you have a high power, high current amp) is pretty good value IMHO.  Especially second hand.

Maybe even 2 bookshelves you can swap over?   Been doing this with my system for years.  Keeps things interesting.

B&W-Elac, Elac-Proac, Elac-Buchardt, Buchardt-KEF

So I guess you got the LS50 back Spukee? 😜

• Haha 1

Kef Ls50 passive and active, Kef Ref 1 (not for buck), Linn Kan 1, Jamo Concert 8, Proac 1sc and Studio 100, Sonus Faber Elector Amator, B&W 805, Mark and Daniel Maximus, Lenehans, WAR Audio Dianes, Chartwell Ls3/5a, Whatmough 202.

Edited by Al.M

Bang for bucks you probably can't beat the Usher S520.Especially when you could buy them for $320.The breed as a whole will always be compromised but at least the S520s are relatively free of the fake bass approach that seems to be ubiquitous.

The Mark and Daniel Maximus have been mentioned and I agree they are very good.Let down by lacking image height unless you buy the optional upfiring tweeter but still excellent.

Best by far are the Dynaudio C1 but they are very pricey.You hear them and you wonder why other smallish stand mounts sound so bad  and why the cheaper Dynaudio models in particular sound nothing like them.

• Like 1

I have a pair of the S-520, they need a powerful amp to sound their best, at the moment mine are in the shed being driven by a 20 watt class A MF A1, not the best setup.

They come alive when driven by my Copland CSA29 which can deliver up to 85 watts.

Having recently listened to several book shelf speakers of various price points from the VA Hayden SE’s, Dyn C1’s, and the eye watering expensive SF Guarneri Homages and Confidence 20’s.
Out of the above I liked the C1’s and the SF’s the most, with my vote going to the C1’s based in part on the amazing value they are for the SQ delivered compared to the much more expensive models I listened too. The new Confidence 20 Dyn’s didn’t really do it for me I must admit.

Anyway I have a new favourite the limited edition VA Hayden Jubilee, it is a even smaller speaker than the Hayden SE  which was not large in the first place, and has a rear port unlike the SE.
The Jubilee is stunning to listen to, especially if you are into vocal based music like Cohen, Jacintha, Gardot etc. Having said that it does complicated bits of music and bass incredibly well. however if pushed it can get overwhelmed with really big bass music like the first track on London Grammars first album, which to be fair often even overwhelms floor standers.

How does the Jubilee compare to the Hayden SE? Night and day, the SE’s are great speakers for what they cost, but the Jubilee version is exceptional at any price point.
If you hear them with the right amplification, and they do suck up lots of power to sound their best, you would not believe that you are listening to small bookshelf’s, they truly sound like medium sized quality floorstanders. Plus they are not expensive which to me must also come into any equation when comparing HiFi components. 

By now you might have worked out that I am blown away by these small speakers, which I am, they would not replace my floor standers but they would find a home alongside. 
For small room listening these would be a very good option if you can find a pair.

Anyway rant over.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

I recently had a listen to the Wharfdale 4.1 and 4.2’s.  Both stunning and for the fairly small price, the 4.1’s  were the biggest bang for buck I’ve heard in quite a while 

• Like 1

My Favourite all time bookshelf are these.CharioSonnet-1.jpg

I've heard them twice and stupidly never bought the only pair I've ever seen for sale which was here some time ago. Aren't they beautiful!

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Still checking them out......

Wharfedale EVO 4.1, Linton, and B&W 705.......   Linton came out as preference they’re $3k  Audiotrends have a damaged pair for $500 less, it’s a slight Nick in the right side where the cover goes in, a bit of wood work and some dark paint will stop the eye from zeroing in.....

On 23/06/2020 at 9:21 AM, Addicted to music said:

Wharfedale EVO 4.1, Linton, and B&W 705.......   Linton came out as preference they’re $3k  Audiotrends have a damaged pair for $500 less, it’s a slight Nick in the right side where the cover goes in, a bit of wood work and some dark paint will stop the eye from zeroing in.....

I just bought a pair of Lintons. Still running them in, they sound very nice so far, musical with good presentation and separation. Look sensational too.

On 23/06/2020 at 11:21 AM, Addicted to music said:

I also looked at Wharfdale range. Ended up purchasing Evo 4.1’s and a par of Lintons.  After a few days of listening the Lintons are quite special and I think will only get better as the loosen up.  Especially for the price. Very musical.  Would highly recommend.  The Evo 4.1’s are a real surprise.   Great for their size. 

Edited by Bill125812
  • 3 months later...

+ 1 for Axis Voicebox S

Had them for 5 years, upgraded my system around them during that time and they have kept pace very nicely. Paired mine with a Rythmik Audio 12SE, the combo works very well and causes me regular sleep deprivation 😁

i don’t think their normal price @ $2500~ is expensive at all considering what they bring to the table, but seen them on sale for a steal. I’d never sell mine and I have a few speakers around, it probably speaks for itself...pardon the pun!

https://simplyhifi.com.au/product/axis-voice-box-s-loudspeaker/

Edited by Nicolai