Bookshelf speakers journey

If the most expensive passive speakers that I could buy would be b&w 606 then I would be happy with 'settling' for not having anything 'better'. The recent sale on them was great value! I like the sound of them more than KEF, Q Accoustics and Monitor Audio in the same price range.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Antipodean Brad said:

If money is no object, where does "bang for the buck" come into it?  Or have I misunderstood the concept?

Expensive doesn’t always equate to being better sounding, that’s why I’ve used the term “bang for buck”.   

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gwurb said:

If the most expensive passive speakers that I could buy would be b&w 606 then I would be happy with 'settling' for not having anything 'better'. The recent sale on them was great value! I like the sound of them more than KEF, Q Accoustics and Monitor Audio in the same price range.

I missed out hey!  

I would think first that music will come out for that reason speakers and also what is the amplifier with which I will move them, since as they say not the most expensive is synonymous with good, but first the ear rules and then the synergy that chains and the  music that I like.

I've always curious about the Yamaha NS-B series & the Soavo series, they look great but I have never heard them.  I just wonder if they are sleeping giants.  Yamaha is a reputable company with a great history, still developing new products, so I just wonder.

Anybody here heard them?

Edited by allthumbs
bad cut and paste

There are so many good stand mount speakers out there, but if you are open to something a bit different to the usual suspects you could have a look at the Contrast range of crossoverless  speakers.

These are very efficient, which gives a lot more flexibility in amplifier choice and if you like your music as coherent and organic, they are well worth an audition. I have heard a couple of models in their range many times and they are a refreshing change form the usual fare.

https://www.contrast.com.ua/

• Like 5

In addition to those already mentioned, PSB, DALI Zensor & Q Acoustics all presented as pretty good bang for buck last time I was shopping for new bookshelf speakers.

To be fair, I was specifically looking at speakers with a narrow footprint, so there were other worthy brands that I didn't consider or audition only because of their shape.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, muon* said:

Lenehan

Biased I may be, but might still stand well where bang for buck is concerned, regardless of this :D

one more vote for the Lenehans. Have heard the ML2 Reference standmounts, and these were absolutely worth their coin!

I've got some Vaf Evo 1's on layby currently, replacing paradigm 3se.

Also I've rotated Kef ls50s, Vienna Acoustics haydn grand se, axis voicebox s and vaf i90's through the bookshelf system over the years, usually a pleasant journey.

• Like 1

I've just gotten a pair of Focal 706's. I know they're from Focal's budget line, but they do not at all sound like a budget speaker. I would be very interested in hearing the more expensive Focal's as I am very, very happy with what I've got.

Andrew

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rantan said:

There are so many good stand mount speakers out there, but if you are open to something a bit different to the usual suspects you could have a look at the Contrast range of crossoverless  speakers.

These are very efficient, which gives a lot more flexibility in amplifier choice and if you like your music as coherent and organic, they are well worth an audition. I have heard a couple of models in their range many times and they are a refreshing change form the usual fare.

https://www.contrast.com.ua/

Reminds me of some old epicure speakers I used to have in that they only had a small cap on the tweeter and essentially ran the same format. I loved them, and haven't heard anything like them since. I don't know how accurate they were, but they sounded good. A bloke in the USA who worked for epicure still makes parts for old epicure models, and makes his own speakers based on the same design.

https://www.humanspeakers.com/

Edited by Ruffter
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

If you were in the market for a bookshelf speaker.....  regardless of size, room and money, what would you chose for bang for bucks?

im looking at the Elac, wharfedale 4.1, 4.2,  Monitor Audio, KEFs,  B&W, etc   Many more others I have not listed!   

Manufacturers/ Brands that sell 'Direct to Consumer' often have the best bang for buck.. eg a $1500 speaker sold direct could in many cases compare favourably to speakers normally priced north of $3000 if import duties, wholesalers, and retailers weren't involved.. The BIG CAVEAT  is you can't generally easily audition prior which is often a deal breaker for many. 

The next best value imo lies in 'name brands' built in a country with cheaper labour and better economies of scale.. eg, say a Tannoy or Kef speaker built to xyz specification in China will be half the price than  if the identical product (xyz spec) was built in England. You generally get a lot for your money.. As (like in most things) , a speaker that is half the price of another is not usually twice as bad. The cheaper item usually has a better price/performance ratio. 

Edited by bryansamui
Spelling
  • Like 3

Legend Acoustics has just released the Tripos - a three way bookshelf speaker that uses the Kurre enclosure. Should be a lovely speaker. 

There’s also Marten Oscar Duo which I have and they are unbelievably good. 

On 13/05/2020 at 9:12 AM, Addicted to music said:

If you were in the market for a bookshelf speaker.....  regardless of size, room and money, what would you chose for bang for bucks?

im looking at the Elac, wharfedale 4.1, 4.2,  Monitor Audio, KEFs,  B&W, etc   Many more others I have not listed!   

VAF Signature i25 would be on my short list (if using the term bookshelf loosely) ?