** Advice Needed** First ever home theatre to go with 75" 4k TV

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 75 inch LG UHD 4k TV and trying to marry up an audio system for a decent experience. Budget upto $1.5k.

I am been following forums for advice and have been trawling google for good prices on package deals. The following are what I have gathered so far. 

Being the first time, I am unsure if I should stick to the Option 1) which is cheap/budget and under 1k or if I should stretch a bit more conside others. If others, what would be a good option between 2, 3a/b/c?? 

• Option 1) under 1k :  Yamaha Livestage 5400 for $799 on melbourne hifi (comes with receiver HTR-2071, has no bluetooth/usb/wifi)
  • Option 2) ~ 1k : Yamaha Livestage 5500 for $998 on billy guyatts (receiver RX-v385, and has features like bluetooth/usb and ypao sound optimisation, dolby truehd, dts)
  • Option 3a) ~ 1.5k : Yamaha Livestage 6500 for $1579 on melbourne hifi (with receiver RX-v485 , all of above + wifi for the reciver, and 2 x sub with 100W compared to 1 sub with 50W)
  • Option 3b) ~ 1.5k : Yamaha reciver RX-v485 for $548 from melbourne hifi and get 5.1 speaker system from harvey norman for $995. Same receiver as above, but I believe this option has better speakers and sub 300W than that in Livestage 6500?
  • Option 3c) ~ 1.5k : Yamaha Blockbuster 5500 for $1584 from stancash. This option is next level up the livestage package, but I am not sure if the speaker package are better than those in Option 3b except the sub here is 100W compared to 300W?

Thought 1:

option 1 doesnt have bluetooth/wifi and option 2 doesnt have wifi (but bluetooth) - but I guess I can connect chromecast audio to stream music wirelessly to the receiver(if they are the major difference for an extra $700-$500).

I know there could be other differentiating features, but since I am new to the scene, I dont think Ill have much audiophillic iintelligence to pick the striking difference?? That way I'll be at or under 1k mark? 

Thought 2:

If I am willing to stretch my budget to 1.5k, I would probably decide between Option 3b and 3c as they have better speaker package than others but need some guidance on the speaker package wich one is better?

Appreciate some expert advice to steer me in the right direction.

PS : I am favoring a brand new system to used.

I am also attaching the home theatre layout and the plan for reference. 

1893024905_HTLayout.jpg.65102cc8fcf3b2eb7f2a8d129133b30f.jpg

Thanks.?

Guest Peter the Greek

Not meaning to be harsh, but, IMO, you'd be better off starting with a simple 2 channel system of greater quality and upgrading as money allows. Trawl the classifieds, heaps of vastly superior options there. If you "must" have surrounds, go with an in-ceiling model. But it seems pointless to me given your seating arrangements.

Just get yourself a really nice pair of bookshelf speakers on stands. Add a sub when you can afford it.

Guest Peter the Greek

Also, I'd do this, and put your speakers in front of the windows to allow more sound stage:

image.png.5c341df47024651edea0e5aa3c96b324.png

Thanks for your advice Peter. The thing is I have already run the prewiring for 5.1ch (since mine was a custom built double storey where running wire later would be impossible). So i guess ill stick with 5.1 ch set up. I like the idea of in ceiling speaker , but all the packages that I see come with bookshelf sorrounds. So therefore i already bought a heavy duty ceiling mount bracket that can hold upto 10kg. 

The seating arrangement that you have drawn up was my prefernce, but my wife is bit of a nuisance when it comes to looks over practicality so she wouldnt let me alter the scene. 

Considering all of the stated above. What would your suggestion be among my options listed?...

Guest Peter the Greek

None, they'll all be garbage. A decent 2 channel experience will be infinitely more satisfying......I'm a HARDCORE multichannel guy, so coming from me, this says something.

Leave the wiring and use it when you can afford it. Even buy a good soundbar if it came to that. Sell the brackets. They'll look crap too. In or on celing is the way to go. Lots you can point at the MLP (which you dont have).....putting chairs in front of doors is stupid in my opinion. Having a break in the room is visually appealing and provides for a more intimate space

Don't be afraid of secondhand. It doesn't mean you're cheap, rather it means you're smart and value quality. Plus you're in Melbourne, its like the center of the universe for good quality, secondhand gear

Anyway, do as you please/be happy with. The above is just my opinion and experience.

Thanks again for your suggestion Peter.

Ill def consider moving my couch even if I have to put a fight with my wife. 

With the in ceiling speaker. Are they better than bookshelf in performance? Also there's not many packages that come with the in ceiling ones. Also I thought the yammy ones are good entry level? As I said I am not really an audio freak, so even a basic set up would sound good to my ears I suppose.

Some great advice from Peter.

if sound quality is a consideration definitely  take on board what he is suggesting.

for a capped $1.5k budget I would be trying  to buy second hand.

AVRs are cheap secondhand allow $500 which will get you a pretty good one.

spend $1k on fronts and maybe a centre.

add ceiling speakers for rears when you can. I run them because I have to and they certainly fill the gap, not as good as well placed bookshelf speakers though so a compromise.

if you don’t move the couch to the centre of the room unfortunately you will never have an experience that you could call home theatre no matter what you do.

• Like 2

I would also recommend starting with a quality 2 channel (or a 2.1 setup) and adding more when funds permit. I watched movies for many years with a 2.1 setup and was very happy with that. Buying used from the classifieds here will help you maximise your buck - a lot of the stuff listed here are of high quality and probably at half the RRP

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DrSK

I'm a firm believer in good 2 channel first. Ditched my first HT as I couldn't stand the quality and replaced it with stereo and am slowly rebuilding. Have now made it to 4.0 and ditched AVR altogether for quality reasons 

But for movies the issue in this room is that no one is in the stereo sweet spot to get strong movie dialogue. 

This is a setup that would definitely benefit from 3.0 with centre channel. Not my usual recommendation. Solved for 2.0 though if you can move the couch, at least just for movies! 

Edited by DrSK