Cafad

Now that hard drive storage is dirt cheap, I'm converting...

20 hours ago, Cafad said:

Is there any advantage to flac files over wav files?  Since space isn't an issue and I'm happy with the sound from my cds I was just going to keep things simple and stick with wav files.  Unless there is a reason I shouldn't.

Flac are smaller, so copy quicker over connections and you can fit more on a given size media. But the biggest one is that they have extensive metadata tags. So song title, track number, artist, date, comments, album, contributing artist, composer, etc can all be contained in the file, along with album cover art. Wav can't have most of this additional info. The sound is identical.

28 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Flac are smaller, so copy quicker over connections and you can fit more on a given size media. But the biggest one is that they have extensive metadata tags. So song title, track number, artist, date, comments, album, contributing artist, composer, etc can all be contained in the file, along with album cover art. Wav can't have most of this additional info. The sound is identical.

Thanks mate, that's the sort of info I was after.  No sound diff so no big reason to convert to Flac (at least in my opinion) but a definite advantage in the area of metadata tags.

I will say though, since I ripped via dbpoweramp (which grabs all its info from the net as it reads the disc) the Oppo displays album art on every album I've played so far so I think the advantage might not be all that big.

Sorry guys, haven't had the time to read many of the posts on page 2 yet (my phone keeps ringing and my email keeps popping up with jobs to do), but I will as soon as I can.

19 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I will say though, since I ripped via dbpoweramp (which grabs all its info from the net as it reads the disc) the Oppo displays album art on every album I've played so far so I think the advantage might not be all that big.

Maybe it's player dependant, I've had much better success with EAC ripping to flac, when I make wavs I get less metadata, even though it shows up from the external database when I query it in EAC.

But the gist of it is that there is no downside to flac, and it's smaller for storage and transfer.

I really prefer Flac and with the software I said earlier, clearly not all players read this format but for this there is MP3 at 320 khz

I also prefer the physical format, CD ', vinyl and some cassette tapes that I occupy depending on the time I have to listen to the music.

I thought hard drive storage was cheap, hmmm 20+ years ago. 😏

While those continue to insist that WAV sounds better than FLAC I know to never fully trust an audiophile. :shifty:

On 13/05/2020 at 9:38 AM, Cafad said:

Not really, it's the first relevant reason I've been given to get an i-device yet. 

Bugger!

This is a very slippery slope. Averting my eyes now ...:shocked:

On 14/05/2020 at 1:52 PM, lemarquis said:

This is a very slippery slope. Averting my eyes now ...:shocked:

Hang on, I'm not giving in to the Apple giant without a fight.

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.e04cca31163eaa6451021b0f8ea3b9f0.JPG

Do I really need more tags than this?  I'm inclined to think I don't.

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

Hang on, I'm not giving in to the Apple giant without a fight.

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.e04cca31163eaa6451021b0f8ea3b9f0.JPG

Do I really need more tags than this?  I'm inclined to think I don't.

When it comes to metadata, you won’t know what you’re missing until you try Roon.

It’s not just about the tags.

On 13/05/2020 at 3:24 PM, Cruncher said:

There is a fair bit of angst and confusion around compression. 

I once bought a digital copy of an analog recording, that apparently sounded great in analog, but had been absolutely smashed loud once they got it into a computer.  

I emailed the person responsible and asked if I could have a copy of the digital file before it was dynamically compressed, he replied that the FLAC would decompress without loss.  

There is confusion.

On 14/05/2020 at 12:04 PM, Sonichifi said:

but for this there is MP3 at 320 khz

Others can do what they like, but not this mp3 thing in our household. In our view, mp3 is a bit like Facebook and sugar - popular does not mean it's good for you.

wav and flac I don't worry about the differences between.

A few years back, someone started a thread here that reported on some research findings regarding lossless files with and without metadata. With extremely high end stereos using test conditions an audible difference was identified between flac files with metadata, and flac files without metadata. The main problem was image files, so if this very slight effect is of concern to anyone, the advice was, don't attach album image files.

3 hours ago, jt301 said:

It’s not just about the tags.

So what's it about then?

1 hour ago, Luc said:

So what's it about then?

The music.

However besides the basic album, artist and track names with album cover that tags give you, Roon also gives you artist bios, many of the song lyrics, album reviews and credits for the album including composers and people who played on the album and what they played.

There are people that can hear the difference between flac and wav. On my system with my ears I can't.

However

To make sure I dot the i's and cross the t's: I ripped all my discs with dbpoweramp in 3 formats: wav, flac and mp3. And where i did not I converted it so that I have it in 3 formats. When I was using a mac mini I had it all in AIFF as well.

@cafad

dbpoweramp is very powerful - I have the full version. 

If you have ripped in one format and want to have a copy in another format it can do a batch conversion - very easy. 

I use the CD Ripper, the Audio Converter and PerfectTunes

If you need help or info just let me know.

Regardless - welcome to music not on a LP or a CD :).

Now take the next step and go for Tidal 😀 or similar - even less work.

26 minutes ago, Jventer said:

There are people that can hear the difference between flac and wav. On my system with my ears I can't.

However

To make sure I dot the i's and cross the t's: I ripped all my discs with dbpoweramp in 3 formats: wav, flac and mp3. And where i did not I converted it so that I have it in 3 formats. When I was using a mac mini I had it all in AIFF as well.

@cafad

dbpoweramp is very powerful - I have the full version. 

If you have ripped in one format and want to have a copy in another format it can do a batch conversion - very easy. 

I use the CD Ripper, the Audio Converter and PerfectTunes

If you need help or info just let me know.

Regardless - welcome to music not on a LP or a CD :).

Now take the next step and go for Tidal 😀 or similar - even less work.

Totally agree with you on the DBpoweramp sentiments. The full version is great and associated programs are very handy. I also like perfect tunes for bulk processing and finding album artwork if you are starting with a messy baseline.

On a side note, I also use a music program called Music Bee. Its a free music program in the vein of Monkey Media and iTunes etc.  Where I really like it is that It has allowed me to create filters from my iTunes ripped AAC files which are simply 256kbps and also my Media Monkey FLAC files which as I posted very early in this thread are uncompressed using DBpoweramp. 

The really cool thing about Music Bee is  I can simply select the filter I created (to which there are no limits) in my case FLAC or AAC and it instantly loads all files and all IDtags associated so artwork, genre everything is there.   It does not mix FLAC and AAC all together so no duplicates and it loads instantly. 

The interface is completely customizable so you can view it as you like with genres or whatever  and it provides instant access to your computer drives on the left hand panel.

As a bonus it also provides a full bio on the artists and all their albums and similar artitsts in your library etc etc etc simply clicking on the music explorer tab of the artist you are listening too which I suspect is much like Roon. 

Sadly there is no phone app like media monkey which is why I got the Gold license on that.  I am also yet to work out if I can push Music Bee through my home network which is why I continue with media monkey as I can access that via my Oppo, not as a program but as a file system which then allows me access to all the files on my harddrive.  Great for me because I have no idea what my computer username and password is!!!

Anyway, if you listen to music with your computer or Laptop hooked into your DAC or whatever Music Bee would also be a brilliant option IMHO.