This could be the most challenging LP to play ?

2 minutes ago, Ericcklau said:

This is a very challenging LP to play without any skips when playing a series of cannon explosions towards the end of the side one.???

20200512_184151.jpg

Yep.  I have a secondhand copy - fairly mint condition, but examining those cannon shots under a microscope, you can see where styluses take a shortcut across the "peninsula" of the wriggle in the groove.

I must do a recount of how many versions of 1812 I have - over a dozen anyway.  This is the hardest to track by far - and reading the history, the first release was so hard, they actually tamed it down for later releases.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

Yep.  I have a secondhand copy - fairly mint condition, but examining those cannon shots under a microscope, you can see where styluses take a shortcut across the "peninsula" of the wriggle in the groove.

I must do a recount of how many versions of 1812 I have - over a dozen anyway.  This is the hardest to track by far - and reading the history, the first release was so hard, they actually tamed it down for later releases.

thanks for sharing this amazing information.

• Like 1

Pretty sure a servo arm turntable will track it. ;)

Makes me want to source that LP just to try it.  Have a JVC QL-Y5 on the way from Japan now. :D

Edited by MattyW
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Pretty sure a servo arm turntable will track it. ;)

Makes me want to source that LP just to try it.  Have a JVC QL-Y5 on the way from Japan now. :D

nice give it a try later when u have the new TT

• Like 1

Amazing

I've read about this LP but always forgot which it was.. 

I recall people using it similar to a torture track on the hi-fi news test LP and when referring to a specific cart or set up mentioning it tracks the cannon fire lol!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, 08Boss302 said:

Amazing

I've read about this LP but always forgot which it was.. 

I recall people using it similar to a torture track on the hi-fi news test LP and when referring to a specific cart or set up mentioning it tracks the cannon fire lol!!!

Really can test your TT setup 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Have an old Telarc copy somewhere,  remember a Dynavector Karat showing bias on the cantilever to one side after playing!

The uncompressed canon tracks were visual squiggly lines on the record so hurls it physically from side to side very rapidly to try and reproduce such percussive low frequencies. 

No way I'd be risking it with my current exxy cart, believe made a lot of money for audio shops selling replacement carts!,?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, evil c said:

Have an old Telarc copy somewhere,  remember a Dynavector Karat showing bias on the cantilever to one side after playing!

The uncompressed canon tracks were visual squiggly lines on the record so hurls it physically from side to side very rapidly to try and reproduce such percussive low frequencies. 

No way I'd be risking it with my current exxy cart, believe made a lot of money for audio shops selling replacement carts!,?

My cartiage is very entry level, can give it a try.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, evil c said:

Hmmm, not sure I want to try it anymore.  Was going to try with an Empire EDR.9

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Hmmm, not sure I want to try it anymore.  Was going to try with an Empire EDR.9

If you want to try it, Matt ... I would suggest with the highest compliance cart you have (which, as you know, should be coupled with the lowest eff mass arm you have)!  :)

Andy

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, andyr said:

If you want to try it, Matt ... I would suggest with the highest compliance cart you have (which, as you know, should be coupled with the lowest eff mass arm you have)!  :)

Andy

That would be the EDR.9, and a servo controlled arm can be whatever effective mass I set it to.... Otherwise I'd have to get my Mayware Formula 4 Mk 3 mounted up. The JVC will be easier and theoretically give better results anyway  ;)

I'm more concerned about damaging what will likely be my best cart though.  The original stylus has had suspension replaced and a nude FG2 tip placed on the end of the original cantilever.  Waiting for that to come to Australia. Supposed to track beautifully at 0.9g rather than the specced 1.2g. Has worked out to be one of my more expensive carts with the rebuild factored in.

56 minutes ago, evil c said:

Audio's toughest challenge, go on do it !, ?

You're a bad man!

Might use a cheap cart. Maybe my modded Shure SC35. Could grab a line contact stylus for it no worries.

Edited by MattyW
  • Haha 1

remember playing this record with my Linn, Grace707, Sonus Blue cartridge, no issue playing, changed arm to mission774 and Ortofon SPU Classic N cartridge, unable to track

• Like 2

I also recall that as well as challenging your cart, having the volume too loud can put your speakers at risk. 

Given how extreme the tracking is for this part of the record, I wonder if this release was part of a marketing ploy by Telarc to raise audiophile awareness of their company.  And it certainly worked - people are still talking about it decades later. 

BTW, I think the comments about putting a coin on the the headshell so it will track have been posted with humorous intent.  I wouldn't recommend actually doing it.  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I also recall that as well as challenging your cart, having the volume too loud can put your speakers at risk. 

Exactly what happened when it was released on CD.

4 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Given how extreme the tracking is for this part of the record, I wonder if this release was part of a marketing ploy by Telarc to raise audiophile awareness of their company.  And it certainly worked - people are still talking about it decades later. 

I am certain it was yes.   I have a weakness for listening to Telarc I admit.  They squeeze in that extra dynamics and there's always an exciting tympani roll or bass hit around the corner to keep you enjoying the program material on nearly all their releases.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

BTW, I think the comments about putting a coin on the the headshell so it will track have been posted with humorous intent.  I wouldn't recommend actually doing it.  ?

thank you for your tips, i tried with small volume only, i can see why is challenging to the speaker too the bass is just massive.

• Like 1