MTsoul

Headphones and Amp - Where to start?

1 hour ago, elisix_ said:

I only have the 20 minutes I listened to them and my HD6XX to compare them to, though generally I’d say the HD6XX sound better

Agree with that. For me the clarity is better on 6XX. They’re open so less of a competition than the Elear.

@MTsoul good call on the stax. I’ve never got around to trying any but they have a great reputation. 

Just closing the loop on my last post regarding the Focal Elegia from A2A.

Exchanged with no issue. New Elegia running great from the 10hrs i've quickly put into them (to test) these past 2 days.

I will add that the iFi HipDAC with the bass boost is great for these headphones. Without this feature, I imagine the bass might be lacking a little.

Probably doesn't help that I am wearing glasses and there might be a little bass leak.

8 hours ago, elisix_ said:

I will add that the iFi HipDAC with the bass boost is great for these headphones. Without this feature, I imagine the bass might be lacking a little.

Probably doesn't help that I am wearing glasses and there might be a little bass leak

That is really interesting. I found the bass bordering a tad much with some music without any bass boost. Nothing on my head other than headphones. 

It just highlights the importance of trying to listen to something before buying. Different sound signatures, different tastes. Ability to select filters and EQ certainly helps, especially when it's easy.

I saw in the other thread for Focal that the elegia improves after 50 or 100 hours or so. Think I will break mine in over a few nights and see if that improves things. Otherwise it's the ifi hip dac or an m11 dap for sure. 

I feel as though the iFi bass boost is a must on the Elegia, but the power gain less needed (though critical for my HD6XX). 

On 18/05/2020 at 7:44 PM, MTsoul said:

The elegia I need to spend more time with. Initially I like the clarity but the bass may not be as strong as I prefer. I have a big head, and the fit is good. Clamp force might be a little strong until I wear them in. Leather would be preferable to the suede used for the ear cups. The case is beautiful and really gives the unboxing a special feeling. 

Absolutely agree, opening my set of Elegia was an experience for sure. Quality stamped all over them IMO

On 21/05/2020 at 8:41 AM, MTsoul said:

I saw in the other thread for Focal that the elegia improves after 50 or 100 hours or so. Think I will break mine in over a few nights and see if that improves things. Otherwise it's the ifi hip dac or an m11 dap for sure. 

I've been running mine in for the last 2 days, and I reckon they've had 20 hours on them . Big difference already,  more sparkle and separation with a sound presentation that's wider and has more range IMO. Bass is quite good but not over bearing.  Massively impressed by these. Easily better than the HD650 and HD700 I've had in the same setup.

Posted (edited)

the setup

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by scuzzii

Great setup! 

I'm still finding the bass too lacking for me. Even with an AQ dragonfly red. But my biggest peeve by far is the short stiff cable. So awful to wear. 

yeah, the cable is too short.  Have been meaning to look for some after market options.  No issue with Bass for me though, at least through the Slee.

55 minutes ago, MTsoul said:

Great setup! 

I'm still finding the bass too lacking for me. Even with an AQ dragonfly red. But my biggest peeve by far is the short stiff cable. So awful to wear. 

I am curious if the difference that people are finding in the bass is music, amp, or personal preference.

Could you try listening to a certain track and letting us know if the bass is lacking? The bass is pretty simple on the track but I find the Elegia gives enough bass on this track. I listen to other stuff that has much more bass but this track is pretty simple and when the bass comes it's obvious. 

The track:

deadmau5 - 4ware (I am listening to it on Tidal)

The cable is short. With my setup that is a good thing as I don't want the cable getting in the way or being bunched up. For me the stiffness makes no difference but I can understand that if people want the cable to move with their movement then the stiffness may be an issue.

ok - will listen to that track on both the A&K and home PC setups 

have played that track on both my A&K DAP and Home PC via Slee headphone amp.  Plenty of bass in that track for me. Not lacking at all.  Great track by the way, never heard it before.

another good track to gauge a simple bass layout is

Spain - untitled #1  (on Tidal)

Straight forward song, gentle ballad - guitar, vocals and the great bass that is well presented by these cans.

Posted (edited)

If you are finding the bass lacking, give an iFi HipDAC a go, or any iFi really as they all seem to have a bass boost. It makes a big difference - without it there’s something missing. I was initially considering the Dragon Fly Red also, but the assistant at A2A said the HipDAC was the better choice due to the bass boost with the Elegia (he owns this setup). 

Note I initially wanted to but the Mojo for the Elegia/office setup, but it seems that the Elegia needs help with the bass and the Mojo doesn’t have that feature (but amazing otherwise of course). There’s a reviewer on YouTube with this exact setup. 

For me the shorter (crappy/stiff) cable works as I will be using them on my desk when we’re back in the office running off the HipDAC and my iPhone or MBP. I noticed that the store Focal cable they had at A2A was a little less stiff, so it will change over time. 

Edited by elisix_

On 23/05/2020 at 1:15 PM, scuzzii said:

another good track to gauge a simple bass layout is

Spain - untitled #1  (on Tidal)

Straight forward song, gentle ballad - guitar, vocals and the great bass that is well presented by these cans.

Got to listen to it today. Nice bass :) I was listening via USB on FiiO BTR5 with balanced cable. I like the amount of bass on the headphones.

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2020 at 3:22 PM, elisix_ said:

If you are finding the bass lacking, give an iFi HipDAC a go, or any iFi really as they all seem to have a bass boost. It makes a big difference - without it there’s something missing. I was initially considering the Dragon Fly Red also, but the assistant at A2A said the HipDAC was the better choice due to the bass boost with the Elegia (he owns this setup). 

Note I initially wanted to but the Mojo for the Elegia/office setup, but it seems that the Elegia needs help with the bass and the Mojo doesn’t have that feature (but amazing otherwise of course). There’s a reviewer on YouTube with this exact setup. 

For me the shorter (crappy/stiff) cable works as I will be using them on my desk when we’re back in the office running off the HipDAC and my iPhone or MBP. I noticed that the store Focal cable they had at A2A was a little less stiff, so it will change over time. 

I really enjoy watching Andrew's content on the Headphones Show. Highly recommended.

Edited by infinitelivez
Typo

Some interesting comments.

Ive had a pair of hd6xx for a fair while, played through a q-dac and more recently added a Schiit Asgard 2 to the setup.

I recently stumped up for a pair of Elears, and for me they are a big step up from the 6xx. Nicer bass, fuller sound and impact.

Elear cable is a bit of a downer though. Bit short for my movie watching distance and not practical for portable sound (though this is not their main purpose). 

Looking into the world of custom cables to sort this out. Cracking cans though, really really nice.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)