SACD Dire Straits Brothers in Arms at JB for $22

Hi All,

Not sure how many are interested or how many copies there may be out there but I found Dire Straits Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary (SACD) for $22 at JB HiFi.  I know there is at least one available at JB Home on Bell St despite it not showing on their web site.

• Like 3

Well worth getting if you don't have it! Looks like the only SACD they are selling as its old stock 2005

Stump

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Now it was Love Over Gold,  I’d race over there.....

Yep, that was what I was chasing at the time...unfortunately it was not available in SACD.

Posted (edited)

This may be the cheaper Canadian version, which is also what I got. 

Tbh, they were way cheaper than this price some years ago including shipping from fleabay.  However due to the weaker Aussie dollar and current COVID situation, I guess this is consider a good buy if you haven’t already own this album.

Edited by att23

I've had a copy of this for a long time, think I picked it up in a sale somewhere. I don't see Canada mentioned on mine anywhere, says made in the EU.

3 hours ago, Stump said:

Well worth getting if you don't have it! Looks like the only SACD they are selling as its old stock 2005

Not quite. There is a more recent MOFI SACD which has a better 2 channel mastering (no multi channel though) but cost 3 times more!

5 hours ago, AlurkA said:

Hi All,

Not sure how many are interested or how many copies there may be out there but I found Dire Straits Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary (SACD) for $22 at JB HiFi.  I know there is at least one available at JB Home on Bell St despite it not showing on their web site.

I got SACD Dire Straits from JB Hifi more than 10years ago almost was the same price as today 

1 hour ago, Stump said:

My guess is JB has the top pic for sale..

1CB3B83C-7E9E-43D0-B21D-F12ABBA54F91.thumb.jpeg.c9b8ce75fd0c6503020ff1dd613eacc7.jpeg

Yes it is. Have you noticed any differences between the original and the anniversary edition?

My SACD is the 20th anniversary, made in Europe 2005.

There is the MobFid SACD (2013) and a Japanese SACD (2014 and 2016).

The only Canadian reference that I can find is just a release of the CD.

I know that we are talking SACD, but ...

Warning;  If one is thinking that the CD layer of the SACD may be better than the other CD masterings then that is not the case.  The CD layer on the 20th anniversary SACD is very badly compressed.  Here is the CD layer versus the original 1985 CD.  What were they thinking!

58dc6ce4a40ac_Screenshot2017-03-30at1_23_09PM.png.5bc4f18ef746f116d4db3467578f1e01.png

• Like 3

@aechmea This May be a naive question however I’m wanting to know more about what it is your graphics are showing me and what it’s is they are measuring. 

Cheers

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AlurkA said:

@aechmea This May be a naive question however I’m wanting to know more about what it is your graphics are showing me and what it’s is they are measuring. 

Cheers

This is the result of the masterer twisting the "compression knob" too much.  Essentially it means that they made the quiet bits loud, the middle bits loud and the loud bits loud. ie. no contrast between the soft and the loud.  This leads to a dull loud boring sound. 

It is known as dynamic compression and has been happening since the mid 90s.  Collectively it is known as the "loudness war".

The idea was to make your CD sound louder than someone elses and presumably gain more attention.  Useful for playing in high noise environments such as jogging, car player, musac, nightclubs etc etc but horrible for hi-fi-ers.

There are some masterers that don't do it these days, but not many, and even re-masters of old favorites are not immune to compression.  Many of us try to ignore the compressed ones as much as we can and prefer the original releases from the 80s even if they have to be bought second hand.

Compression is generally not as great on LP or classical.

The pictures show the volume during a small interval of one song.  The one on the left has little or no dynamics and the volume has been cranked to the maximum allowed.  The right hand picture is not nearly as loud but has good dynamics (= the little peaks and troughs).  The right hand version is much more pleasant and natural sounding.

I find that

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

is a useful resource.  The "greener" the statistic the more dynamic range it has.

• Like 2

No problem :) my takeout is that peaks and troughs = dynamics = interest!

Kind of related is the quest for absolute silence or "inky blacks" when there's no music playing. Now there's a rabbit-hole!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, AlurkA said:

Yes it is. Have you noticed any differences between the original and the anniversary edition?

Just doing a comparison now.Like the graph above the JB copy is brick walled where the  MobFid SACD is not so compressed and sounds better.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I have no idea what version i have ...but the one i do which have had for ages .... is a massive step up from the original CD...

Trying to pick which release to buy of anything now is going to be a challenge.  Eyes are opening or should I say ears. 

Who would have thought opening a thread in the deals section would lead to this!!!

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)

Sorry, my bad, I double checked I also have the Made in EU 2005 version. Think I got confused because a whole bunch of them were selling cheap from Canada and listed on AU fleabay at some point in time (not available on AU site anymore). See link below, can’t believe they still stock after so many years. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dire-Straits-Brothers-in-Arms-New-SACD-Canada-Import-/303095617150?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Edited by att23
  • Like 1

Might not be entirely relevant to the sale but very interesting to those who had no idea.  Thanks for the information

• Like 1