Office Speaker / DAC recommendations

Hi all!

I've been shopping around for a setup for the office. I mainly listen to music / occasionally cut film projects. I was initially drawn to a QUAD 303/33 setup with a small bookshelf speaker similar to the LS3/5A with small DAC but now I'm thinking I don't want all overload my desk with the QUAD setup. So I'm now looking at a pair of Genelecs 8010/20 with a RME ADI-2 DAC. The RME feels slightly overkill for my needs but I do like the idea of its headphone amp coming in use for the future plus it would sit quite nicely underneath my monitors with that nice big dial and cute display.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the purchase but I had that feeling that maybe I wasn't on the right trail. I'm open to any suggestions but am really trying to keep the speakers on the desk small. My budget is sitting around the $3K mark, for the LS3/5A QUAD setup it would have pushed to $4K as I've always been love with that little speaker.

Thanks so much in advance everyone :--)

Are you using USB out of your computer?

If yes then I'd look for a Klein DAC in the classifieds. Built in Aus and excellent bang for buck even at RRP.

If you can use optical or coax output I'd suggest the Kef LSX active speakers are worth a demo. They look cool, have a built in DAC and work as a Roon end point. Would save you a big slice of coin too. Their big limitation from my point of view is they don't have a USB input (despite having a USB port on the back). I guess with the coin saved you could feed them an analogue signal from something like the Klein DAC or even a Dragonfly Cobalt to keep the desk minimalist.

For less clutter, active speakers are definitely the way to go.

Your budget is quite good at $3000. How about checking these Active Dynaudio speakers on sale at A2A? Will leave you with lots of money to spare - a good thing during these difficult times. Add a Dynaudio hub/connect if you want more connectivity options

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/dynaudio-xeo-2-wireless-bookshelf-speakers

• 2 weeks later...

Very interested to hear more on this topic as I’m also setting up a home office and so far have already purchased the KEF LSX. I’m using a CalDigit TS3+ dock from my MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt 3, which then allows for a Toslink Optical cable into the KEF LSX - it’s working exceptionally well and absolutely beats Bluetooth, Spotify Connect and AirPlay for my Tidal playlist, made up of HiFi and Masters tracks. 

On the headphone front I’ve got he HD6xx and Focal Elegia so far, running into an iFi HipDAC by USB-A to USB-A. Does the job for the meantime but that will go into the office when we’re back at work with the Elegia. I want to upgrade the home setup that will see HD800S, Clears or Arya’s join the group.

So that leads me to researching AMP/DAC's and i'm 99% sure i'll be jumping on a Woo WA7 for Tube and either the 789+ADI-2 combo or the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I'm using Tidal a lot so MQA seems logical, though i'm unsure of which solid state option to go with. I'll be streaming rather than playing from ripped or downloaded content.

I haven’t really thought about using these for the LSX at all as they sound amazing from the MBP (even through the dock) and they’re powered. 

I ended up getting the Genelecs 8020D, I tested it with a XLR split to 3.5mm to my MBP headphone port and it sounded a little muddy (as expected). I've borrowed a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 from a buddy for the interim and the sound is much clearer through the interface (as expected!)

I'm now weighing up which DAC to get, I've read that the Fostex HP-A4 is a great pairing with these Genelecs and the reviewer had A/B'd with a Scarlett he had too.

As for the 8020D, they sound lovely, super clear. The bass is slightly lacking but I'd happily add a 7040/50 sub down the line but not in any rush as it does sound great. They're a good size for the desk, I'll need to find some decent stands that don't take up much space but elevate the speakers to head height.

I'll check out the Babyface, at that price range I could almost justify going to the ADI-2..

• Like 1