MattyW

JVC QL-Y5 servo controlled arm turntable

Ok, so I just bought one of these on eBay. The price wasn't bad and it looks near New apart from a little button discoloration, pitting around the edge of the aluminum platter and a chip on each front corner of the plinth.

I doubt I can do much about the discoloration but autosol should take care of the pitting and a few dabs of marine grade varnish the corners. Then for a full recap and replacing the stock tonearm interconnects.

Is there anyone that comes well recommended around Brisbane for this type of work?

This table will replace my two Victor TT71 based tables and S.A.M. Aldebaran. If one arm can easily replace many then it sounds great to me. Keen to try servo controlled arms as they've always piqued my interest.

Posted (edited)

Ok, will test the table tonight.  So far I've just confirmed that the platter spins up, the arm drops and lifts, goes back and forth etc. Will take some pictures then.

Strangely the table takes up more space than my S.A.M. Aldebaran.  Way lighter though in comparison.

Edited by MattyW

I have the same unit and as you said it is very large, Hopefully it all works perfectly.

Ill look forward to seeing the photos of it, Do you have the dust cover with it aswell?

2 minutes ago, Frankie09 said:

I have the same unit and as you said it is very large, Hopefully it all works perfectly.

Ill look forward to seeing the photos of it, Do you have the dust cover with it aswell?

Yes, the dust cover made it intact thankfully.  It was very well packed.

Do you have any mods you've done to yours that you found worthwhile?  I'm not a fan of packing it with modelling clay or anything though.

Good it had no damage, Unfortunately mine was missing it when I purchased it I may eventually get one made.

No mods on mine at all, it is completely original so can not give any suggestions regarding mods.  

59 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Ok, will test the table tonight.  So far I've just confirmed that the platter spins up, the arm drops and lifts, goes back and forth etc. Will take some pictures then.

Strangely the table takes up more space than my S.A.M. Aldebaran.  Way lighter though in comparison.

They're big mothers.

Wowza, just tracked through Tchaikovsky 1812 cannon shots effortlessly tracking at 0.9g with my used Empire 1000ZE/X. I'm shocked. I've never tracked a cart on a table at less than a gram before.

Got to say I absolutely love the auto return at the end of each side too. I didn't consider that when purchasing  :)

20200519_205252.thumb.jpg.f3b204d37413dd681461412b18b419bf.jpg

20200519_205240.thumb.jpg.bc16c7e5c1b884c062f0f00390a6bd12.jpg

20200519_205224.thumb.jpg.3c149f1d7a976980a4e02410575778b8.jpg

What I can't get over with this table is how eerily quiet things are.  Any pops or crackles such as are there are few and far between.... It's almost like listening to a CD in a way. 

Likewise it's just so easy to operate that I can even use it with a baby in the house safe in the knowledge that if listening is interrupted I can leave it and at the end of a size the arm will return to the armrest and the platter stop spinning. 

Also putting an LP on is just a case of 3 button presses. Before we had our child I preferred manual operation however this automation on this table means I can actually spin records again for the first time in over 12 months. Totally worth it. 

I've found Brisbane Electronics in Everton Park are happy to do the recap for up to $330 and a 5-6 week (they're busy) turn around. They're close so I'll get them to do the work.