Room Lighting wIt’s wall mount screen

So the box arrived today (pic 1 below). There is 4 meters of light strip, plug for USB, a dimmer and a remote. 

I read the instructions found at www.biaslighting.com/install (I usually wait until I break something before I read the instructions). 
I cleaned the rear of the TV and stuck the light strip as close to the edge as possible while still ensuring the light reflected off the wall (pic 2). I used a little over 3 of the 4 meters that were in the box. I thought I might have to remove the bottom strip as there is a table with stuff on it but the light doesn’t get that far at 10%.

It was an easy install and worked first time. Believe me if I can do it anyone can. 
I found the grey card test screen on YouTube (search “Reference for maximum ambient light” on YouTube) and to my eyes 10% on the bias lights is the level that best matches the grey card brightness on the test screen. 

The viewing conditions can be seen below before (pic 3) and after (pic 4).  
The difference is greater in person than on this iPhone and for me it’s a no brainer. Contrast increased more than I could describe. Blacks blacker and whites whiter. All colours more intense. The cheapest and biggest bang for my buck I could get on any TV. Changed my viewing experience so I’m going to get some more for the  second TV. 
Cheers Bruce

267370BC-BDB5-4DEA-9E57-A4D318CE171C.jpeg

A5E9C020-2C0A-4287-9548-86F0598D6B31.jpeg

35546686-F3D1-4A01-8540-3E5A12205A65.jpeg

A3AAFD75-2EAE-4508-8F55-A923B3A35DD8.jpeg

• Like 2

@Brucec Sure did make a difference.

What size screen is yours? I ordered the single strip based on the website recommendation, but noticed you have gone for the next kit which is led all the way round.

5 minutes ago, Whites said:

What size screen is yours? I ordered the single strip based on the website recommendation, but noticed you have gone for the next kit which is led all the way round.

As long as your display is stand-mounted the single strip is suitable (and ideal) for screens up to 85". But with Bruce's being wall mounted, we recommend the Flex to provide even coverage the whole way around.

• Like 1

Is a 43” screen but only 70mm off the wall. The distance from the wall made me want lights round The perimeter. 
I have another screen on a stand that will be about 500mm to a meter from a reflective surface so I will use one strip on it. 

Yes watching a lot more movies was my motivation and media light flex had the effect of upgrading my screen. Will, one day buy an oled screen (which I would do the same bias lighting with) but other priorities at the moment. Thanks Media Light. 

• Like 1

@Brucec thanks for the update, see what happens when you ask nicely for pics, luv pics...

Certainly bias lighting D65 works a treat for contrast and deeper blacks, not so sure about coloured lights behind a screen but thats just me.

Just a quick question to @MediaLight ...I was under the impression that bias lighting should be applied one third inside distance from the sides of the TV screen, or in other words not stuck close to the edge. 

2 minutes ago, STROP said:

Just a quick question to @MediaLight ...I was under the impression that bias lighting should be applied one third inside distance from the sides of the TV screen, or in other words not stuck close to the edge. 

The ideal setup is to create more ambient, diffused light than a focussed beam or strip of light, so it would depend on your mounting setup. If you were close to the wall and had it mounted around the edge you would just select a lower output level so it's not as harsh, but with the lights mounted further in you'd just need to pump the lights a little more to get the desired ambience levels around the set.

Maybe if I moved them in a bit it would be a more even glow, however the unevenness doesn’t bother me enough to redo it but next time I’d probably move them in from the edge. 

The other thing I neglected to mention was that the flex (which is what I purchased works on USB2 ... the others need USB3 of which I only have one on the back of the screen. I’m glad (for reasons unknown to me at present) to have that USB spare, however i discovered that the USB ports don’t turn on and off when I turn the screen on and off so need the media light remote to turn on and off anyway. The lights do memorise the previous setting so that stays constant. 
this might be obvious to everyone else but it’s a journey of discovery for me. 

Yeah it's more just about having the presence of the light there than a precise placement, so don't worry. More important would be the brightness level in reference to your display so as not to be a distraction.

1 minute ago, Brucec said:

however i discovered that the USB ports don’t turn on and off when I turn the screen on and off so need the media light remote to turn on and off anyway. 

That's the first time I've heard of that. We are careful to specify that it's not a feature as it of course depends on the display and how they handle power to the USB ports. Can I ask the make of the TV Bruce, in case future customers ask?

Also have you definitely given it say 10-15 minutes after you switch off the TV to confirm that it definitely doesn't power off? A lot maintain power to the USB for a while after you turn off, but they do eventually turn off which personally I find an advantage as you don't have to fumble to switch on lamps or lights when going to bed after watching at night. Just turn off the TV and the MediaLight continues to light your space enough to leave the room, and turns off after that short period of time.

• Like 1

TV is a Sony KD 43X 8000G. It’s a 2019 model that cost $850 and it’s a basic led android TV. I have waited a while after turning the TV off, however will try again. You did mention that USB ports in TVs weren’t consistent. I’ll let you know later when I time the length of time it stays on after switch off. That wasn’t a complaint or a deal breaker. Still love it. 

@MediaLight...thanks for that info, just placed an order for the MediaLight single through you with the gracious discount for stereo net members ?

Just my opinion, bias lighting D65 might just be the biggest picture quality bang for the buck you'll ever get. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The USB ports on my TV don’t seem to turn off when the remote turns my TV off. I think that is a product of buying a bottom of the line TV. The Media Light remote works perfectly and I’m ecstatic with the result. 
I’m wondering if there is reference/method to colour and contrast balance the screen.