Room Lighting wIt’s wall mount screen

Thanks all

i went and looked at the Phillips hue light strip 2meters. 
I really liked it but can’t figure how to get it to go round a corner without spraying direct light. Screen is 43” and so about 1 meter across. Will one horizontal strip of one meter do it?  The screen is mounted to the wall and i was aiming for a fairly balanced glow around the screen.... Maybe that’s not necessary or .... is there a hack that will allow the strip to bend round a corner? Best to you all Bruce

Thanks for all your help. I went to Media light as suggested by Marc and have some on the way. Scott from media light was really helpful and gave me his mobile in case I needed help setting up. They’re powered from USB2 which is an attractive option for my setup. I’ll let you know how I go. Makes me realise what a great community Stereonet is. Thanks everyone. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Brucec said:

Gracias por toda tu ayuda. Fui a Media Light según lo sugerido por Marc y tengo algunos en camino. Scott, de Media Light, fue realmente útil y me dio su móvil en caso de que necesitara ayuda para configurarlo. Están alimentados por USB2, que es una opción atractiva para mi configuración. Te diré cómo voy. Me hace darme cuenta de qué gran comunidad es Stereonet. Gracias a todos. 

can you leave the link of the product you bought if possible ?, and when you have it installed a video of how the installation turned out for you.

regards.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brucec said:

Thanks for all your help. I went to Media light as suggested by Marc and have some on the way. Scott from media light was really helpful and gave me his mobile in case I needed help setting up. They’re powered from USB2 which is an attractive option for my setup. I’ll let you know how I go. Makes me realise what a great community Stereonet is. Thanks everyone. 

That’s wonderful service.  And I second. Can you please do a video of the results   This is mine behind a tv. 

D5824B2F-7E74-4D47-AF48-AE11F3C5B137.jpeg

Yes I will give a link to the product I purchased and pics when I install it. It is white only at 6500k. Needed to be simple to operate, however I have found other purpose for the Phillips system which I’m sure I will indulge in soon. 
the lights have only just been packed so I’m not expecting Australia Post to deliver until late next week the way things are. 

On 14/05/2020 at 6:45 PM, Bill125812 said:

That’s wonderful service.  And I second. Can you please do a video of the results   This is mine behind a tv. 

D5824B2F-7E74-4D47-AF48-AE11F3C5B137.jpeg

Looks great Bill! Coloured ambient lighting will give you the reduced eye strain and improved contrast benefits of bias lighting but my understanding is that it will influence your colour perception of what's on screen.

D65 white provides the most neutral reference, but of course to maximise the results you're then wanting a middle-grey background behind the set. As with any AV equipment it's a question of how far to take it ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brucec said:

I had asked the CEO if I could paint the wall behind the screen a midtone grey but the length of silence on the subject leaves me not hopeful. 

Is it for colour-sensitive work? Sounds like it's a corporate environment but one tip for a non-permanent approach (as suggested here) is to paint a removable board. So when you're doing colour critical stuff you can slide it behind as needed.

2000160000_ScreenShot2020-05-17at10_07_35am.thumb.png.e8d465a7a64057cfef45fe1dcbe553dc.png

Of course this is more for colour grading type work than just viewing, but it gives you an option.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 10.07.26 am.png

No it’s not colour critical work. It’s a base level $850 Sony LED screen and for viewing movies utube etc. the wall behind is pretty neutral. 
Are there any particularly good or bad colours .... red seems to bleed into everything. It’s  OCD rather than corporate and I’m sure getting the glare of the room lamp off the front of the screen will change it dramatically. CEO is my wife which is harder than when i worked and had control over my environment.   

70cm sounds fine, the light will be softer and placement of the bias lighting will be less critical. In terms of what colour is behind your screen, ideal is pigment-free grey but other than that it wouldn't make much of a difference. To my knowledge most colours are equal with the exception of greens (we're evolutionarily conditioned to be more sensitive to) and anything around skin tones (which are the strongest memory colour). It would just come down to what's on screen as the colours around will influence our perception of them so if your wall is red and you're watching something with a lot of warm tones then that will have an influence.

Of course this is being very picky but this is really the place for such things!

• Like 1