$4k Killer Hifi System?

Hi Fam, 

If you are going to build a Killer Audiophile set up for maximum of $4,000 to spend. 

What will it be?

Speakers:?

Amp:?

Cd player / Turntable / Streamer: ?

Others: ?

10 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Wharfedale Denton Bookshelf Speakers

Audiolab 6000A Amp

Cocktail Audio N15D Streamer

Wow that audiolab 6000a amp has excellent reviews online! As well as the Wharfdale Dentons! ?

Edited by full_dp
  • Like 1

• Volunteer

you should have a listen to the 3 Sad Bastards discussing this very topic :)

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s01e02-entry-level-systems/id1507530486?i=1000471395609

What is a good first hifi system? The 3 Sad Bastards show that they are completely out of touch with reality and then proceed to run a train through the idea of what entry level hifi should be. Each Bastard presents an argument for a complete high quality hifi system and try to present a coherent argument as to why spending money on hifi is a good idea.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

you should have a listen to the 3 Sad Bastards discussing this very topic :)

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s01e02-entry-level-systems/id1507530486?i=1000471395609

What is a good first hifi system? The 3 Sad Bastards show that they are completely out of touch with reality and then proceed to run a train through the idea of what entry level hifi should be. Each Bastard presents an argument for a complete high quality hifi system and try to present a coherent argument as to why spending money on hifi is a good idea.

This is interesting!  Ill check it out. Thanks

It's good to read reviews but the reason there are so many hifi systems to choose from is that we all have different taste and preferences. 

My choices for today would be: 

1.) FOCAL CHORUS 726 (white $1450) on special + Exposure 2010s2D + Yamaha CD-N301

2.) Kef Ls 50 wireless

3.) Osborn Eos + Marantz 6006 amp + CDP or Bluesound Powernode 2i

there are literally gazillion options out there, more important id suggest is wander out go check out some for your budget. most retailers be thrilled to serve something up, hopefully something that meets needs. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Irek said:

It's good to read reviews but the reason there are so many hifi systems to choose from is that we all have different taste and preferences. 

My choices for today would be: 

1.) FOCAL CHORUS 726 (white $1450) on special + Exposure 2010s2D + Yamaha CD-N301

2.) Kef Ls 50 wireless

3.) Osborn Eos + Marantz 6006 amp + CDP or Bluesound Powernode 2i

Nice! you cant go wrong with any of this choices. One quick question: Can you live by having "One and Done" by getting the Ls50 wireless??

4 minutes ago, wen said:

there are many reasons for the next one, not always upgraditis, life has many unexpected turns for some people, enjoy the moment

I just curious wen, how will you spend your 4k? ?

i don't think i could answer realisticlly, i owned a setup i purchased in 1983 till 2005 when an amp died, then chasing an elusive sound, i had a Linn Sondek all those years and more, now a 1976 Rega Planar2, owned a $3.5k SSamp, now a $1.4K kit valve amp, listened to $100K plus systems which i thought were rubbish, an $800 sharp 3 in 1 which for the money i thought was fantastic, so honestly $4K, no idea

• Like 3

Guest rmpfyf
23 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

2nd hand all the way. A 2.1 system

Pick what you want to play, know what you want to play it on, how you're going to listen to it then it's what he said.

Some slight wiggle room for how loud you want to go and whether or not your wallet has the two known medical conditions (valves, vinyl).

Vintage! Yamaha CA-2010 or the very capable CA-1000, NS spkrs (1000X, 690ii...) pair well. Alternatively any quality Sansui, Luxman amp from that era...

• Love 1

If I were to start all over and budget was $4k.

bookshelf speakers:  any of the ELAC  bookshelf to get within budget.  

amplifier: Hypex  nc400

DAC: any Topping Dxx  that’s under $300.

All this via computer audio.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Love 1

Hi All,

Going a vinyl system with powered speakers. All prices are for brand new, in various shops. If buying several things from one shop you should be able to get some leads thrown in.

Speakers:  KEF Q350                                                        $900

882397666_Kef350.jpg.548d66a8243de9431b1822e8e7b7d485.jpg

Turntable: Rega Planar 3 Turntable                                                         $900

1107223380_RP3.jpg.e636de9f640281af5ebd4b16c90e21d4.jpg

Cartridge: Grado Labs Ref Series Platinum 1                                         $500

1723117125_GradoSonata1.jpg.413e4f6775e357ea899f5ff3ff508c82.jpg

Phono : Simaudio Moon 110LP                                                                   $700

Moon.jpg.ed26b3ea9d1d787b0171bd561ff75823.jpg

TOTAL:                                                                                                              $3000 

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 1

For speakers that punch well well above their (dollar) weight: Q Acoustics 3050i $1500ish

AMP: Emotiva Basx A-300 $900ish

CD Player: Marantz CD5005 $550ish

Pre-AMP: Schiit Saga $900ish

Extra left over:

Nice Van Den Hul speaker cable

Edited by Brenden_G
  • Love 1

Guest rmpfyf

Don't know team. Put together a system for $3200 recently for a friend that'd completely slay most of what's being mentioned here ('tis a digital front/2.2).

The secret is simple as per @Peter the Greek - buy second hand. Specifically on SNA. Good grief are there some absolute bargains on this forum.

I mean if you've got a strong case of must-have-new-sh*t-itis then by all means, just know at this price it's like crowing about having bought a sports car, rocking up with a spangly new Golf GTI to race against a lightly used M3 at the same rate. You might have Carplay, which is indeed convenient, but you're about to get totally spanked in any measure anyone cares about. Unless your mission was to actually get a GTI. 

SNA's used gear forum reminds me of car ads in a racing forum - owners usually tipped in too much money indulging a passion, are moving on to get out of the game or doubling down (usually the latter), have a vested interest in seeking it go to a good home and it usually comes with a spares package.

So, @full_dp, I hope you're not a GTI driver :D and I'd pick your passion on the private sale or WTB forums. It's just too good.

Edited by rmpfyf

19 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Going a vinyl system with powered speakers. All prices are for brand new, in various shops. If buying several things from one shop you should be able to get some leads thrown in.

Speakers:  KEF Q350                                                        $900

882397666_Kef350.jpg.548d66a8243de9431b1822e8e7b7d485.jpg

Turntable: Rega Planar 3 Turntable                                                         $900

1107223380_RP3.jpg.e636de9f640281af5ebd4b16c90e21d4.jpg

Cartridge: Grado Labs Ref Series Platinum 1                                         $500

1723117125_GradoSonata1.jpg.413e4f6775e357ea899f5ff3ff508c82.jpg

Phono : Simaudio Moon 110LP                                                                   $700

Moon.jpg.ed26b3ea9d1d787b0171bd561ff75823.jpg

TOTAL:                                                                                                              $3000 

JJ

Very nice selection of gears, you can upgrade your q350 with ls50 if you know negotiate with you dealer or you can get it preowned?

17 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Don't know team. Put together a system for $3200 recently for a friend that'd completely slay most of what's being mentioned here ('tis a digital front/2.2).

The secret is simple as per @Peter the Greek - buy second hand. Specifically on SNA. Good grief are there some absolute bargains on this forum.

I mean if you've got a strong case of must-have-new-sh*t-itis then by all means, just know at this price it's like crowing about having bought a sports car, rocking up with a spangly new Golf GTI to race against a lightly used M3 at the same rate. You might have Carplay, which is indeed convenient, but you're about to get totally spanked in any measure anyone cares about. Unless your mission was to actually get a GTI. 

SNA's used gear forum reminds me of car ads in a racing forum - owners usually tipped in too much money indulging a passion, are moving on to get out of the game or doubling down (usually the latter), have a vested interest in seeking it go to a good home and it usually comes with a spares package.

So, @full_dp, I hope you're not a GTI driver :D and I'd pick your passion on the private sale or WTB forums. It's just too good.

Thanks for this word of wisdom and I totally agree @rmpfyf there is heaps of excellent preowned gears here at Sna. You just need to be wait patiently for the gears that you're after and be quick to buy if you find what you need.

By the way, im just curious what are the $3200 worth gears that you selected in SNA classifieds for you friend?.