What CDs do you wish were on Vinyl?

I thought it might be fun to start a new thread?

What are some of your favourite CDs you wish were released on Vinyl?

For me being a Prince completist I am hoping one day they will release:

Prince - Hit & Run Phase 1 & 2

Prince - 20 Ten

Prince - Crystal Ball

Other artists:

Kylie Minogue - X

Seal - Soul

Whitney Houston - Ultimate Collection

I am sure there are others I am not recalling right now - 

interested what are yours?

4 minutes ago, awayward said:

Interesting topic April, I’m sure there are a few CDs I’d like on vinyl, but it is ironic that most of my favourite albums I have on vinyl.

Yes me too - I got into Vinyl late last year and told myself I would not "mirror image" my CD collection but concentrate on new things - but it has pretty much ended up mirroring by Fav CDs - it just worked out that way.............

Sigh (so there went that plan.......)

BUT on a good note, I have added a few vinyls I did not have on CD too ?

But there are ones I really have a hankering for - I admit such as I listed ................

A thumbs up will not suffice!! HEAR HEAR for Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia. Is there a circumstance anyone has ever heard of that might persuade a record company somewhere to produce a gem like this on vinyl?

• Like 2

Natalie Merchant - Tiger Lilly - Motherland - Ophelia - Live. only available on CD - what a great shame they were not made in an analogue studio (like Mark Knoffler has).  Her voice demanded vinyl, her musicians were all top notch and in sync with her mentality.

For me she is on a par with the great singer/songwriters of the 70s. She has principles and a real social conscience. A couple of years ago she did a tour of the UK only playing in small venues (for personal satisfaction, not the money) and would you believe it in a an old deconsecrated church in my old home town, Brighton down on the coast (little London). That really hacked me off, there aren't many live occasions I'd like to have been at but this is definitely one of them.

There is a 10 CD collection of her work available on ebay.co.uk @ ASD 79 shipping is really cheap - take a listen to some of her work on You Tube and then buy.

• Like 1

oh a couple I've been listening to tonight, from incredible small bands that couldn't /can't afford to do it right.

InFictions - 'Vanity Project'     https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nhJlAB-5pmGCp-CJg_mhhJKBEr00ZhaJ8
sddefault.jpg?sqp=CNiD4PUFir7X7AMGCNGn9dsF&rs=AOn4CLBDXysWzZLBh88ToRKYh6S3FVdLIw&v=5b7d53d1

and

Exit Calm - 'The Future Isn't What It Used To Be'  which does have a vinyl pressing, but it's a very noisy splatter and needs a remaster. 
Unfortunately, the band broke up in 2015, so this most probably will never happen.   :( 
 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsj1k0hgg3837htY-tSKtMyU6T3Pqw0pB 

R-4947815-1513070155-7967.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Southerly said:

Natalie Merchant - Tiger Lilly - Motherland - Ophelia - Live. only available on CD 

Tigerlily is available on vinyl from Mobile Fidelity. I have it. But I prefer her Live album.

1 minute ago, DarkTree said:

Tigerlily is available on vinyl from Mobile Fidelity. I have it. But I prefer her Live album.

Thanks for that but if the original is digital it defeats the point. Yes her Live is very good isn't it. The House Carpenter's Daughter is one of the worst albums I have ever heard. She abandoned her usual team I think as a feminist gesture - it didn't work. It's the only piece of her work that I cannot rec.

• Like 1

Dark Tree,

I had never noticed that her CDs are HDCD which explains why her CDS sound very good. Your Mobile Fidelity of Tiger Lilly goes for serious money now. I also see that there is a vinyl version of Motherland on MOV.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mattd2308 said:

Couple of Mark Knopfler’s

Sailing to Philadelphia 

Ragpickers Dream

I've got Ragpicker's Dream as that had a vinyl release. Looking on Discogs I see they are an outrageous price now so this might make you weep. I bought it from HMV on Pitt Street when it first came out. At that time there were hardly any rock/pop records being released, most of it was still dance 12" singles and the vinyl was in the separate dance room within HMV. Shoved at the end of the racks were maybe 20 new release rock/pop, 3 or 4 copies of each. None were shrink wrapped and it was hard to find a record that hadn't been mishandled as people who didn't really know what a record was would take them out of the sleeve, leave fingermarks, jam them back in, tear the outer sleeves and so on. That $450 album on Discogs was once $12-99 and for each one sold there were probably 3 or 4 the shop chucked in the bin as they had been trashed. The return to popularity of vinyl was a huge learning curve for some.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
8 hours ago, Southerly said:

Thanks for that but if the original is digital it defeats the point.

That cuts out a the vast majority of vinyl made in probably the last 30 years or so..

Personally, I'd still rather play a record than a CD - even if the original is digital

• Like 5

On 11/05/2020 at 4:52 AM, sir sanders zingmore said:

That cuts out a the vast majority of vinyl made in probably the last 30 years or so..

Personally, I'd still rather play a record than a CD - even if the original is digital

Yes the vast majority but there were sellers of new vinyl that sold 'audiophile vinyl' I was buying quality pressings like Janis Ian / Sarah Mcloughlin at the beginning of the 90s and then a hiatus until the end of that decade.  Santana - Superstition,never realising that LPs like this would rocket in price.. 

Also I wish I had bought up more of the LOMM - low output moving magnet cartridges. I have a mint condition Pickering 7500s and it's pre-preamp designed by Pickerings UK stockist.

CDs got a bad name because no one realised that the 'standard' inter/connects made CD sound so harsh.

I was going car booting every Saturday and Sunday at 6.30 AM at the end of the 80s and into the 90s when people were dumping their LPs - so I have 3 copies VG++ or better of King Crimson ITCOTCK.  about £1-1.50 per LP. By the end of the 90s you could buy very good condition classical @ 5 for a £. 

I have about 500 classical but now I get Brava and Intermezzo channels free as part of my 3-1 package from a French company. I wouldn't have bought a single classical  LP if I had known that further down the line I would have access 24/7 to HD audio and visual and that includes Jazz from virtually every Jazz festival.

Check out the price for Intermezzo and Brava an overload of Jazz,Classical, ballet/traditional and modern, Opera, modern dance.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, Southerly said:

I was going car booting every Saturday and Sunday at 6.30 AM at the end of the 80s and into the 90s when people were dumping their LPs - so I have 3 copies VG++ or better of King Crimson ITCOTCK.  about £1-1.50 per LP. By the end of the 90s you could buy very good condition classical @ 5 for a £. 

I am very jealous :) 

• Like 1

Tower of Song: Songs of Leonard Cohen / Various

Orquestra Was ‎– Forever's A Long, Long Time

Trisha Yearwood - The Song Remembers When

Trisha Yearwood - Thinkin' About You

George Michael - Unplugged

Steve Davis - Quality Of Silence

The Chieftains ‎– The Long Black Veil

Edited by jeromelang

• 2 weeks later...