Furutech DeMagα LP Demagnetizer

I have used the Furutech DeStat II static charge remover for years and all my cables are Furutech products. I find them middle of the road cables.I have often seen the Furutech DeMagα LP Demagnetizer in action at trade Shows but its not on the top of my want list just now.This review below talks of what goes into the Vinyl over the years to explain the benefits of the Demagg for LPs as well as Cd and cables..

full_left.jpg.ea422b9814aef224942a377fd79f9df4.jpg

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/furutech-demagα-lp-demagnetizer/

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

How can vinyl, being non-metal and non-ferrous, be magnetised?

You didn't read the review ! did you?

Now, if your first thought here is, "What, a demagnetizer for LPs? Aren't they just plastic?" you would not be alone. At first blush, it may not appear to make any sense. How can a 33 1/3 long play record be magnetized, it's just vinyl after all, right! To get a better idea of how this could be we'll need to take a closer look at the formulation of the "vinyl" used to produce a twelve-inch long-play vinyl record?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Eamon

Do you have a disc flattener?

I haven't but like the quality.  I have a Vinyl Flat Record Flattener although I haven't bought any warped records for a few years..Also the Clearaudio outer ring does a good job..

8 minutes ago, Stump said:

I haven't but like the quality.  I have a Vinyl Flat Record Flattener although I haven't bought any warped records for a few years..Also the Clearaudio outer ring does a good job..

you are a lucky boy then.     I have had my Orb DF-02 for 10 years now - the last 5 years especially its paid for itself over and over given the number of dished new records I have received. 

The disc demagniser is interesting, but too rich for me, unless I won the 20 mill last night.   I would luv to try it out for a a few weeks thou to see how it performs over a lot of records.    I wonder if it removes all static as well.

• Like 1

Definitely one for that audiophile who has everything.You can fix problems you never knew you had.?I hear many positive results for its use with cables also. I use the Destat for static and works well. As for CDs !

A49F8221-C7D2-4A37-8C2E-4B72634F59DE.thumb.jpeg.814c9a9598f5b08c5915bdbda7bfc9b9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stump said:

You didn't read the review ! did you?

Now, if your first thought here is, "What, a demagnetizer for LPs? Aren't they just plastic?" you would not be alone. At first blush, it may not appear to make any sense. How can a 33 1/3 long play record be magnetized, it's just vinyl after all, right! To get a better idea of how this could be we'll need to take a closer look at the formulation of the "vinyl" used to produce a twelve-inch long-play vinyl record?

I'll wait to see how many believe it.

4 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

Most "Snake Oil" comes in bottles?.

Interesting you should say that. ? 
Hiya Stump and Metal beat! ?
I woke early this morning, so decided to listen to a podcast, Darko’s to be precise. In this particular one, John Darko and Jeff Dorgay discuss the concept of snake oil. 
I think you’d all find it interesting. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rusty48 said:

Interesting you should say that. ? 
Hiya Stump and Metal beat! ?
I woke early this morning, so decided to listen to a podcast, Darko’s to be precise. In this particular one, John Darko and Jeff Dorgay discuss the concept of snake oil. 
I think you’d all find it interesting. 

personally, I will only spend 1 hour 20 mins with Darko at a pub drinking Guinness  :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, t_mike said:

Cartridge demagnetisers are another one, how do you demagnetise a non ferrous wire coil?

Bcoz you don't demagnetise the coil ... you demagnetise the former that the copper/silver/gold coil is wound around.  This former is typically made of iron - except in the case of the Benz Ruby (and maybe other carts) which is not made of iron ... but ruby, in the case of the Benz Ruby.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 2

If the plastic compound contains only 0.25% to 0.5% carbon black, and carbon black could possibly contain a "minute amount of ferrous material native to that colorant additive", what is the percentage of ferrous material in the mix, overall?

Even if the "minute amount" was 1% (of the carbon black), that means the total amount of ferrous material would still only be 0.0025% to 0.005% of the total mix.

Yea nah... I don't buy it..

But I do have a degaussing wand that I built years ago, which has no other practical use for me these days, that I could try and see if it makes a difference to my ears...

No wait, my system is nowhere near revealing enough for it to make any difference to me. :-(

15 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

If the plastic compound contains only 0.25% to 0.5% carbon black, and carbon black could possibly contain a "minute amount of ferrous material native to that colorant additive", what is the percentage of ferrous material in the mix, overall?

Even if the "minute amount" was 1% (of the carbon black), that means the total amount of ferrous material would still only be 0.0025% to 0.005% of the total mix.

Yea nah... I don't buy it..

Don't forget, this device then only removes about a tenth of the magnetic field  "the magnetic field of the LP was lowered from 620~630 nT to 572~582 nT"

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Don't forget, this device then only removes about a tenth of the magnetic field  "the magnetic field of the LP was lowered from 620~630 nT to 572~582 nT"

probably closer to 3/5 of 5/8 of FA.... LOL