Wookeii

Cartridge recommendations for a Luxman PD-277

Recently purchased a Luxman PD-277 in really nice condition (just missing dust cover) for a decent price. It came with an Orofon Blue MM on it with not too many hours, already installed. As per the manual (https://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/pd-277.shtml) the optimum tracking force is 2.5g, but I've read that 1.8g is better.

I don't want to overcapitalise, I know it's not the most impressive TT, but I think it could maybe have a better MM on there. My Luxman L-435 amp can run MC pretty nice apparently (not done it myself yet) MC so that could be an option too. Probably wouldn't want to spend more than $400 on the cart/stylus. I can also run it through a schiit mani first which can take low or high output carts.

I listen to pretty broad range of music, from intimate recordings of Nick Drake/John Martyn to heavy King Gizzard and thumping Daft Punk. Going to a Luxman L-435 and then Focal 706 bookshelf speakers.

Anyone have any experience with this table or similar era Luxmans? Any advice, even if it's just "stick with the orofon blue" would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe have a read of the recent Audio Technica thread, particularly about the MicroLine stylus options.

The Ortofon 2M series is really good. The Blue has a shibata stylus so I’d play it for a while - they need a lot of break in time! 

I have a 2M Silver which I track at 2.0g and it seems to suit my low mass tonearm. 

I’m thinking about dismantling a PD-277 with a dead motor. Might you want the lid?

17 minutes ago, markielinhart said:

The Blue has a shibata stylus so I’d play it for a while

I just read it has a Nude elliptical  https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-blue-p-333

2M Blue Technical data

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.  -   5.5 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz  -   1.5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz  -  25 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz  - 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB  -  20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response  -  20-20.000 Hz + 2 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force  -  80 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral  -  20 µm/mN
Stylus type  -  Nude Elliptical
Stylus tip radius  -  r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range  -  1.6-2.0 g (16-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended  -  1.8 g (18 mN)

1 hour ago, markielinhart said:

The Ortofon 2M series is really good. The Blue has a shibata stylus so I’d play it for a while - they need a lot of break in time! 

I have a 2M Silver which I track at 2.0g and it seems to suit my low mass tonearm. 

I’m thinking about dismantling a PD-277 with a dead motor. Might you want the lid?

Wow mate, I figured I’d never get a lid for it, if you’re willing to part with it I’m definitely interested in buying it. For me it’s more about keeping out toddlers fingers rather than dust.

Thanks for the advice on the Blue, I think I’ll keep it for now and see how it plays through my collection. I’m used to having a changeable headshell so I wanted to make sure it was a good pairing.

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Maybe have a read of the recent Audio Technica thread, particularly about the MicroLine stylus options.

Thanks I’ll read through that thread right now.

Let’s keep in touch then...

Pronouns she/her

sent from my iPad

any mistakes are ‘predictable’

I wouldn't under estimate your table. 

Try a higher end second hand MC, even something from the same family would be a good comparison to make. I've had good results with both Rondo Bronze and Rohmann as a step up (IMO) from 2M series 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Powerglide said:

I wouldn't under estimate your table. 

Try a higher end second hand MC, even something from the same family would be a good comparison to make. I've had good results with both Rondo Bronze and Rohmann as a step up (IMO) from 2M series 

I have a denon DL103 with not too many hours, wired into a headshell for my Pioneer PL-550.

Think it’s worth swapping to the denon? 

Edited by Wookeii
Mistake first had no text

I had a Shure V15 type 3 with Jico neoSAS/SS on my PD264, worked really well.