streaming options

Just need some advice as to what to do. My only front end Digital device is a OPPO 105 as my main source is vinyl. 

Unfortunately it only allows Tidal as an option. Which I have used from time to time when they have sales on subscriptions 

I wanting to know the best way to stream Spotify. I have this as I get free data when on the move. Amazon Music as I have Prime membership.. 

I have an Imac in the room and use an iPhone. Anyway I can use the OPPO or would I be better off with another option? 

Im not wanting to spend too much at this stage as this is a trial. 

Thanks 

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Im not wanting to spend too much at this stage as this is a trial

What do you consider too much? There's options at various price points and levels of quality in turn.

Moving this to the hardware rather than the platforms subforum for you.

A Chromecast Audio will let you use your phone to stream Spotify and TuneIn Radio to your amp via a line level connection. Hard to find new, but Dick Smith/Kogan have them I think. You might also find stock at Harvey Norman or similar retailers.

• Administrator

Similarly, at the absolute entry level there is the Echo Dot, which is also line level output.

Else, there's also this: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-ieast-soundstream-pro-streamer

Stepping a couple of levels up from those, you could look for a second hand Bluesound Node which have a respectable DAC as well and give Roon, TIDAL, Spotify and more integration.

55 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Im not wanting to spend too much at this stage as this is a trial. 

I understand and am in the same situation, with vinyl and (to a lesser extent ) CD as my main source, but I feel that spending too little may be a waste of money in the long run.

Ditto, spending too much.

A Bluesound Node can be negotiated to about $800 and as a secondary source will do everything you want/need and will save you from eventual upgrades with cheaper devices.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

That sounds like a pretty cool option to use an older iPad- you could place it on a stand so you have a display too. Using the more modern camera adapter (which is not in the article) would mean that you could keep it charged at the same time. It would allow you to use the oppo DAC, and if you like the idea of the display, may add to your overall experience!

1 hour ago, Juzbear said:

That sounds like a pretty cool option to use an older iPad- you could place it on a stand so you have a display too. Using the more modern camera adapter (which is not in the article) would mean that you could keep it charged at the same time. It would allow you to use the oppo DAC, and if you like the idea of the display, may add to your overall experience!

you mean the USB3 connector?? sounds like it might be one to try.. I do have an older iPad with the older connector that I could use.. But I do have a small computer monitor already connected to the OPPO that works as a display. it'll be a pity not to use the OPPO as much as I can. It'll be interesting how it might sound.  thanks for the suggestion. 

And thanks all for the other input.  The Node might be a goer one day..

I bought the camera connection and USB cable. But I find no where I can select the USB as an input on my oppo 105 unless it's the USB audio input.. 

anybody have any ideas? The link supplied by @Snoopy8 mentions using any of the USB inputs. 

2 hours ago, Kensell21 said:

I bought the camera connection and USB cable. But I find no where I can select the USB as an input on my oppo 105 unless it's the USB audio input.. 

anybody have any ideas? The link supplied by @Snoopy8 mentions using any of the USB inputs. 

Sorry, my Oppo is packed away, so cannot test. I think you need to use screen menu to access USB?

+1 for the Chromecast Audio if you can, then go optical into the BDP-105. If it's just spotify you can go line level as well, either way I think it's the easiest way for you to get decent sound, especially if you're happy with the sound of the oppo.

Cheers,

Andrew

On 15/05/2020 at 1:55 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, my Oppo is packed away, so cannot test. I think you need to use screen menu to access USB?

Hi. Yes I have access to the screen menu. The idea from the link given to me was that you can use any USB input not just the USB audio one.  

Its just that none of the other USB ports show up on the menu.  I’m not sure how you can use them if you can’t select them as an input. 

F72270E0-1797-4AE9-9256-D1FCE70C6689.jpeg

On 15/05/2020 at 2:07 PM, Ruffter said:

+1 for the Chromecast Audio if you can, then go optical into the BDP-105. If it's just spotify you can go line level as well, either way I think it's the easiest way for you to get decent sound, especially if you're happy with the sound of the oppo.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew.  It’s really only Spotify at this stage.  If only I could get a Chromecast audio, I think that would be ideal. If I can use the DACs on the oppo that would indeed be the way I’d want to go.  

7 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Hi. Yes I have access to the screen menu. The idea from the link given to me was that you can use any USB input not just the USB audio one.  

Its just that none of the other USB ports show up on the menu.  I’m not sure how you can use them if you can’t select them as an input. 

F72270E0-1797-4AE9-9256-D1FCE70C6689.jpeg

Isn't there a separate USB menu?

46 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Isn't there a separate USB menu?

Hmm not sure.  That’s the screen that comes up when you select input on the remote. 

Unless it’s in setup somewhere.  

I’ll check tonight when I’m home from work.   

On 17/05/2020 at 3:16 PM, pwstereo said:

They're very easy to set up and use. Google Home app on phone, select the new Chromecast, configure on your wi-fi, all set to go.

thanks for your help... do you know what sort of cable ill need to use the Dacs of the OPPO.. is it an optical one?? id rather use the Dacs on the Oppo than just RCA in 

Edited by Kensell21

@Kensell21

It's a 3.5mm optical to normal Toslink cable.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/toslink-to-3-5mm-fibre-optic-audio-lead-1-0m/p/WQ7298

https://www.selby.com.au/cables/optical-toslink/toslink-to-3-5mm-optical-digital-cable-do9905.html

It just goes in place of the normal 3.5mm stereo plug, but gets you optical digital output.

Edited by pwstereo
Tagged OP

• 2 weeks later...