Which headphones are best for under 1500

Hi everyone,

Was wanting to hear your thoughts on recommended headphones for the budget of 1500. Great bass is a must and open back! Here a few I've searched and considered Audeze LCD-2c, FOCAL CLEAR PROFESSIONAL OPEN BACK. Would love to hear how people are finding the headphones if they own the ones I've listed. However open to look at others that are available even if it's slighty above 1500 ? 

Thanks heaps for your time

Haha.

You can EQ it up if you need.

Focal Clear

Hifiman Ananda

Audeze LCD2 Classic

ZMF Aeolus/Eikon/Atticus/Autuer (used)

Sennheiser HD800S

Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2

Depends how you like your sound, what you listen to, what running them off etc.

9 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Great as in heaps, or as in well done?

The Clear can't really be beaten at its current $1200 price. It isn't a bassy headphone, but it's well done.

I agree with Bengineer, Clear is the pick of the bunch. But it is not very bassy.

The LCD2 has much better bass, but I found lacking in separation, sound stage and as a result a bit muddy. It is also very heavy.

HD800S is a bit more expensive unless you can go second hand, but bass is also not strong in that one.

Thanks heaps for all the information. I'll do a bit more research on the other headphones you guys suggested, I'm leaning more to the Focal Clear now. 

Most of the music I listen to is 50 percent of the time dance orientated like techno, trance, progressive house and disco. However I do also listen to heaps of indie, rock and funk.

Recommendations on any amps that will suit with the headphones above (price around 800)?

This will be my first big purchase with headphones, excited for it!

6 hours ago, musique112 said:

Recommendations on any amps that will suit with the headphones above (price around 800)?

Do you already have a DAC? With that budget are you looking for DAC amp combo or DAC amp separates or amp only?

14 hours ago, musique112 said:

I'm looking at DAC/AMP combo

All in 1 box or two separate boxes is fine, or either?

Have you thought of combining thx aaa 789 amp and SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC for fully balanced stack? Or Topping E30 if you want a 'warmer' AK DAC chip (instead of ES chip)?

Otherwise there is something like this https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/schiit-audio/products/schiit-audio-asgard-3-headphone-amplifier (with AK DAC). Or this https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/headphone-amplifiers/products/fiio-q5s-portable-dac-headphone-amplifier .

Buying second hand could get you something better for the same amount of money.

Edited by gwurb

Its hard to know the best dac/amp set up for you.

If you go the Clear, a super nuetral setup may be a bit much for you. And you might prefer a bit more warmth/smoothness from the Amp.

There are a heap of cheap DACs that are good. Topping D50S is a high performer for $300, has a remote to boot.

Amps again, heaps.

SMSL SP200 is everything the THX789 can offer in a cheaper price point. All you miss out on is a 3 stage gain, has a 2 stage. Volume knob not as nice.

Schiit Jotunheim is a nicely built unit. It isn't as crazy clinical as the THX stuff, so its a touch smoother and warmer, might be worth consideration.

Sit around with $1000 in your pocket for a bit and you might pick up a used RME ADI-2 DAC with the 4490 chip. Excellent all in one....

13 minutes ago, musique112 said:

Thanks again, all the information has helped heaps. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger tonight on focal clear b stock. The price is great at the moment on addicted to audio

It’s a shame they only have the Pro on the B Stock, as I’d prefer the silver over black/red. I believe they’re the same except for accessories and color? 

Edited by elisix_

Same headphone.

You get a different colour scheme, pads and cables.

I prefer the black headphone, I would swap the pads though for the black Utopia pads. All black baby.

And get a nice aftermarket cable, Focal cables can suck it. Horrible things.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I wouldn't do the above any time soon. Just use them and enjoy them for a while first. Don't jump into spending coin on accessories.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

And get a nice aftermarket cable, Focal cables can suck it. Horrible things.

Very useful if you need to listen to your headphones at the other end of the house, though...

Going to make up some useful length cables for my Elears, I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

My Hart Audio cable finally arrived today.

Has click on ends, so can be 2.5mm balanced to DAP, or XLR, or 6.5mm stereo. Super useful.

Decent quality and feel for the low price too.

Did you get this?

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-9-dual-3-5mm-mono-ts-balanced-headphone-cable

How did you get the XLR changed to click on ends? or did you buy this?

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/interconnects/products/ic-4-2-5mm-trrs

The first link is the main cable.

You choose it to suit your headphone. They are all terminated in a MINI XLR. Useless to you as is.

You then buy the ends you want, which are all the corresponding MINI XLR to whatever you need, full-size 4 pin XLR, 6.5mm etc.

See the size difference in the pic between mini and normal XLR.

20200511_130110.jpg

On 11/05/2020 at 2:58 PM, elisix_ said:

It’s a shame they only have the Pro on the B Stock, as I’d prefer the silver over black/red. I believe they’re the same except for accessories and color? 

I’m going to correct myself here. 

Now I get why people want the darker pads after seeing the state of the ones on the silver/grey Clears at A2A today. Yikes.

Head office needs to replace those pads ASAP. It is absolutely not a good look.

1 hour ago, musique112 said:

Do you know any places currently at Melbourne where they do demos with the headphones?z

Head down to Addicted to Audio.

They're great to deal with and are happy to spend the time demoing different headphones and amps to find the right headphone combination for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martykt said:

Head down to Addicted to Audio.

They're great to deal with and are happy to spend the time demoing different headphones and amps to find the right headphone combination for you.

addicted to audio are indeed good, another good location for headphones is tivoli. 

• Like 1