Marantz 6014 output modes

Is there a mode on a Marantz that outputs all music to just the main speakers, ie no crossover or sub?

Watching Rammstein live in Paris (awesome concert btw) I like my music in 2 channel, no sub no crossover from mains which is set to 40hz and large. Old amp allowed all to fronts in 2 channel, Marantz wants to use sub and thinking I'm missing anything below crossover if I turn sub off. Tried direct and pure direct but not liking it. Concert is coded DD.

Found a way around it, though not sure if ideal. I set the sub to LFE only, not mains, which are set to large. This then puts the fronts at full range. Crossover still operates for other speakers set to small, centre and surround. Sub channel effects still go to sub up to 120Hz.

Up side, I have plenty of bass for movies with sub as well, 2 channel full range front, turn sub off.

Watching End Game tonight, no issues. Will try music tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, SGS said:

Found a way around it, though not sure if ideal

hi @SGS there are music, movie buttons on the marantz remotes .... you can select a mode.... adjust settings and it remembers :)  ps presuming tried pure direct mode ? 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

hi @SGS there are music, movie buttons on the marantz remotes .... you can select a mode.... adjust settings and it remembers :)  ps presuming tried pure direct mode ? 

From what I can tell, both direct and pure use the sub and crossovers and multi channel if that is the source. Stereo will down mix multi channel to 2 but also uses sub and crossover. The only way I could get full range on front is with the above method. Any other way with sub turned off had a distinct lack of bass. 

21 minutes ago, SGS said:

From what I can tell, both direct and pure use the sub and crossovers and multi channel if that is the source. Stereo will down mix multi channel to 2 but also uses sub and crossover. The only way I could get full range on front is with the above method. Any other way with sub turned off had a distinct lack of bass. 

Definitely choose what best suits but just remember to do so after hitting the music button - it will remember all !!!

I have the marantz SR6011.

For a few years I used Direct and Pure Direct mode when playing 2ch music.  My speakers settings were all small and cross over at 80hz with LFE cross over at 120hz.  These two modes set like this and using LFE (not LFE + Mains) the speakers default to Large and bypass any bass crossover unless the audio you are listening too has an LFE signal then its inescapeable AFAIK.  This is likely to be more the case when watching movies in 2ch as opposed to concerts I would guess.

As a side note, I always thought LFE + Main can have a double bass effect situation so never had it that way - not sure if that is correct but it is how I have always set it up. 

In my set up I had a HDMI cable from BluRay player to my Marantz for movies and used the BluRay input on the AVR.  For concerts and or cd's in 2ch listening I used RCA interconnects from the player to the CD RCA input on the AVR. 

I would then select the appropriate input on the AVR pending what I was doing. (ie BluRay input if watching a movie via HDMI or CD input if listening to a movie or watching a gig via interconnects).  The picture should still work as you can run a HDMI cable from player to AVR using BluRay input and then out of the AVR arc back into your TV.

Using direct mode quite frequently,  it would send the signal to the fronts only and also bypass any room correction Audyssey had done with my calibration.  It would also not send anything to the subwoofers.  Pure direct did the same but also turned the screen off so I'd only use that for CD listening.

If you set the AVR up this way I am pretty sure that when wanting 2ch you simply use the direct mode and it will bypass the Audyssey settings and the fronts will be set to large and no sub will work. - but you'll retain a TV picture.  Do the same in Pure Direct and picture disappears also as it further bypasses some of the AVR circuits including front panel and video input/output processing.

I just tested this now using spotify connect using the direct button which is yellow on my remote.

- push it once - Direct Mode, screen on tv stayed on showing song playing, speakers had ample bass - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again, Pure Direct mode, no screen on AVR or TV to show song playing, speakers had bass still - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again , auto mode, TV screen on showing song playing, speakers cross bass over to sub which is now working.

Pretty sure if you you set LFE+Main you will get all the above but all modes with s/woofers engaged. If you are watching a gig maybe trial LFE settings etc as I had it just trial either Direct or Auto and see which you prefer?

I now use a different amp for 2ch listening but have the Marantz for HT.  I still do as above when watching some of my concert films. Hope this helps a little.

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

Definitely choose what best suits but just remember to do so after hitting the music button - it will remember all !!!

I'll have to experiment with this. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that the settings applied to all modes. If I can set one setup for music and one for movie, that would give best of both worlds. I'll change back movie to as it was with crossover etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

I have the marantz SR6011.

For a few years I used Direct and Pure Direct mode when playing 2ch music.  My speakers settings were all small and cross over at 80hz with LFE cross over at 120hz.  These two modes set like this and using LFE (not LFE + Mains) the speakers default to Large and bypass any bass crossover unless the audio you are listening too has an LFE signal then its inescapeable AFAIK.  This is likely to be more the case when watching movies in 2ch as opposed to concerts I would guess.

As a side note, I always thought LFE + Main can have a double bass effect situation so never had it that way - not sure if that is correct but it is how I have always set it up. 

In my set up I had a HDMI cable from BluRay player to my Marantz for movies and used the BluRay input on the AVR.  For concerts and or cd's in 2ch listening I used RCA interconnects from the player to the CD RCA input on the AVR. 

I would then select the appropriate input on the AVR pending what I was doing. (ie BluRay input if watching a movie via HDMI or CD input if listening to a movie or watching a gig via interconnects).  The picture should still work as you can run a HDMI cable from player to AVR using BluRay input and then out of the AVR arc back into your TV.

Using direct mode quite frequently,  it would send the signal to the fronts only and also bypass any room correction Audyssey had done with my calibration.  It would also not send anything to the subwoofers.  Pure direct did the same but also turned the screen off so I'd only use that for CD listening.

If you set the AVR up this way I am pretty sure that when wanting 2ch you simply use the direct mode and it will bypass the Audyssey settings and the fronts will be set to large and no sub will work. - but you'll retain a TV picture.  Do the same in Pure Direct and picture disappears also as it further bypasses some of the AVR circuits including front panel and video input/output processing.

I just tested this now using spotify connect using the direct button which is yellow on my remote.

- push it once - Direct Mode, screen on tv stayed on showing song playing, speakers had ample bass - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again, Pure Direct mode, no screen on AVR or TV to show song playing, speakers had bass still - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again , auto mode, TV screen on showing song playing, speakers cross bass over to sub which is now working.

Pretty sure if you you set LFE+Main you will get all the above but all modes with s/woofers engaged. If you are watching a gig maybe trial LFE settings etc as I had it just trial either Direct or Auto and see which you prefer?

I now use a different amp for 2ch listening but have the Marantz for HT.  I still do as above when watching some of my concert films. Hope this helps a little.

Thankyou. A lot to take in. CD for me is seperate as I use NAD CD player. Rammstein concert in question was streamed from Prime on TV then audio back to AVR, I have ARC and also a toslink for this, probably didn't need the toslink. Sound is on TV audio which I think is what the toslink connects to but also assume that is ARC, might try disconnecting toslink.

Music sources are going to be varied, CD, phono, bluetooth or HEOS. So I think I do need 2 channel setup in settings. From what I could tell and also from manual I downloaded pure and pure direct use sub channel so assumed crossover as well. It was certainly better with full range and sub off. Stereo mode also scales down to 2 channel from multi channel which pure does not.

I'll try see if the settings set is different based on what mode is used, ie music or movie, If it is I think that will be where the answer is. Music, just  LFE,  fronts full range sub off. Movie LFE plus main, crossover 40.