Goldring 1042 to loan. (Adelaide area initially)

Hi Batty, if the loan offer is still on, I wouldnt mind comparing it on my Planar 3/RB300 against my Denon DL160....any opinions on which might be better?

I once owned a DL160 and didn't like it as i found it really brittle on the top end, something i've found with the couple of other HOMC cartridges i've tried. It was mounted on a Planer 2. The Goldring 1042 i had some years later on the same table and arm was really good with no bad traits that i can recall at all.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Goldring arrived safely yesterday, and I mounted it on my RB300. The clearance for the bolts is only small, as the cartridge rakes outwards. My bolts were too long, so I had to mount them upside down with the nuts on the top of the tonearm. No particular bother, but I think it would be a litte fiddly to get the nuts underneath. Thereafter I plugged the wires in (a nice tight fit), aligned it to the Stevenson protractor and away we went.

First up there are no hum issues or clearance problems with the Rega arm. In fact it rides a little higher than other carts like the 2m blue, Garrott, and Grado. I have two shims under the arm, so clearance was about 3-4mm from the record surface. Seems to mate very well with the Rega as others have noted.

I have only played 4 albums on it, so here are my early thoughts (in my own speak!):

1. Quite a 'balanced' sound. No alarming frequency anomolies. Neutral sound with a slight tilt toward 'warm' (ie shelved up bass, shelved down trebble) than 'analytical' (shelved up mid and trebble) - my definitions! Certainly more neutral than anything else.

2. Quite dynamic. Handles sudden changes in scale and loudness easily

3. Good soundstage. Wide rather than deep.

4. Instruments sound 'real' and 'live' but not 'alive'. Eg. trumpet sounds like a brass instrument without the shrill sound.

5. Musical. It is an engaging sound, fatigue free, an easy listen.

6. Lacks a hint of air and sparkle. Cymbals shimmer is less than other carts. Maybe as it sits on the warm side of neutral.

7. Lacks a bit of midrange breath. Singers dont float, although they do seem firmly centre stage.

7. No sibilance or inner grove distortion. Again, an easy listen.

So far, so good. I think the Gyger stylus adds a lot to the quality of this cart which has impressed me so far.

I will listen some more, and give my comparisons to some other carts over the weekend.

Thanks again Batty for your kind offer.

So a few more hours on the clock, and a couple more albums completed. I have now listened to a wide range of music including jazz, orchestral, chamber, and pop. Yesterday, I remounted some of my cartridges. Here are my comparisons:

1. Goldring 1042 - my initial opinions above are confirmed. It is a 'balanced' cartridge with plenty of weight in the bass, and slightly softened trebble. Overall quite smooth and fatigue free. A good allrounder so to speak. 8 out of 10.

2. Grado Platinum 1 - this is in a similar price bracket but far different. It excels in the midrange but is lacking in bass, and has a tilted trebble. This can manifest itself in higher levels of sibilance if you are sensitive to that. The midrange is engaging and slightly more resolving than the Goldring. Better soundstage depth. Refined and fatigue free. 7.5.

3. Ortofon 2m Blue - This is about half the price of the regular Goldring, although you can now obtain the Goldring for a far cheaper price because of the exchange rate. I dont like the 2m blue. It has been described as a modern cartridge and this is true if your definition of modern is 'everything louder than everything else'. The frequency spectrum is quite full, and this causes fatigue over time. The trebble sounds bright, and the bass is prone to boom. For me, no more than 5, and it only gets that because it is reasonably priced.

4. Garrott Brothers P77 with the K2 stylus - This is closest to the Goldring in sound. Quite an even balance, but less roundness to instruments. I think the main difference between the two is due to the gyger stylus on the Goldring is a better transducer than the K2 eliptical diamond. I would like to get a new 77 stylus, but they havent made these for some years - I think it was also a gyger. So distant memories of the p77 stylus would give it an 8, but with the K2 I think 7.8.

So the Goldring has won the shootout by a small margin. I have been impressed by its balanced sound, musicality and smoothness which is great for extended listening periods. It seems a perfect match for the Rega tonearm, and has melded well with my Heybrook TT2, and Musical Fidelity V3 phono stage. It would be a great choice for anyone wanting to reduce the glare or brightness in their system, and for those who spend many hours in their listening sessions.

Thanks again Batty for the great offer. For the next reviewer, please pm me your address and I will send by registered post this week.

BATTY thank you so much for the offer, but can you please take me off the list . I don't think the cheap TT's that I use would be worth trying your cart on and I do have a new cart (Shure M97xE) that I'm trying to work in at the moment and compare to my others..

OK Grumpy if you wish, but there is nothing stopping you from fitting just for a listen. I'll keep you at thy bottom of the list incase you change your mind :) no pressure mate.

Anyone else want to add their name to the list?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, have had my 'turn' with the Goldring. I had the same issue as at68 with the bolts from my RB300 being too long...So, I cut down another pair I had for another cartridge.

My initial impressions were very positive, quite a musical, full sounding cart, definitely got the toe tapping and with a smooth midrange that was easy on the ear. I felt it to be a better match for my Audio Research SP6B preamp, which I have been told is not ideal with my Denon DL160 and the combo can tend towards too lean a sound, with a hint of brightness at louder levels (might be strain/clipping?).

When I hooked the DL160 back in, I did notice a slightly more detailed sound, the Denon seemed to have a small treble emphasis over the Goldring. I could live with either cartridge, but I think its important to get the synergy right with not only the arm, but the preamp/phono as well.

Thanks a lot to Batty for the generous loan!

As Jake's TT is indisposed at the moment, is there anyone else who would like a loan of this cart before I get it sent home to me?

Grumpy?????

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, this has gone a bit quiet, could someone let me know where the cart has got to, last I heard it was with Nathan, but he didn't have time to fit for now.

An update please.

Thanks Rod, I heard from Nathan a week ago (ish) and was trying to arrange moving to gypr1961, that was it. So don't know if it has moved. Plus I may end up selling I've had some interest.