HIgher end 7.1 Processor Options with 4k - ideas and/or for sale options

7 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Be mindful of 4K compatibility.

That may be enough to dismiss this totally. I was aware they had some limitation. In re-reading now, it is with the ability to switch HDR.

I actually contacted them and got some info. Seems their "4K" was set up to work with their Blu Ray players - which relied on some stuff from Oppo.

They recommended running a separate video feed to audio for HDR use. So it starts to get compromised and defeats the purpose. The 4k versions are also hard to come across, and the modules no longer available.

So it is probably out.

2 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Could have a winner here and it appears to be 4K.

I have messaged that member. Unfortunately, its not actually the 4k version. The upgrade boards were about $1700, and are no longer avialabel in any case. The firmware tells you which version, or the 2.0 boards have 6 HDMI in in lieu of 5, which is the easy way to tell.

It was that unit that sparked my interest in them specifically. There have been some on SN in the past (non 4k version) sold for as low as $1250.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

one thing to watch out for with anthem is lack of dual sub support.....

Not sure where you may have got that info. Even the AVM50 is dual sub, I haven't seen anything on the newer units that they don't have dual sub out... 

3 hours ago, DTJ said:

A small step up only here would probably leave me immediately looking for something more.

I do have a 18G HDMI cable, which I will run direct from the Oppo to the PJ - just to test some UHD source. I have also been wondering if the picture improvement from that is worthwhile (as it is the main reason I am keen to get UHD to the PJ and thus the only reason I need mre than HDMI 1.4). But I am gauging I need to do some other stuff to properly test that with the PJ set up as well.

I see you have a JVC 9000 projector ; this has 2 hdmi2.0a hdcp2.2 inputs and will accept WDR and HDR colour gamuts ; so no need for any hd fury vertex/linker etc to strip the HDR metadata . Its definitely worth going from rec709 to dci p3 colour with hdr highlights .

Due to the high bandwidth of these signals a direct line from the source can be an advantage as hdmi can crash at longer lengths ; and why certified cables are recommended or ones tested for bandwidth[ hdmi 2.1 48gbps cables are starting to appear as well] . You want a pre pro with hdmi2.0a if  your not using the jvc's 2nd input ; hdmi 2.0 will not allow the hdr metadata through as you say. I personally dont like pre pro's with analog transcoding capabilities in their hdmi passthrough ; better a straight throughput if thats of concern ..  

If the atmos/dts-x 7704 is intriguing have a look at models with dirac or ARC[ genesis]  as has been mentioned . Dirac is found on upmarket brands like Storm  audio ; datasat; Theta etc and a lot of the new hdmi 2.0a pre pro's will be getting the highly touted new bass management module as has the storm audio mk1 pre pro already :) Good hunting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Not sure where you may have got that info. Even the AVM50 is dual sub, I haven't seen anything on the newer units that they don't have dual sub out... 

It appears to have 2 XLR sub outputs. But they are not marked separately, so may just be a parallel output. The dual sub is not a necessity, but a nice to have so each sub can be managed through the processor. Otherwise I can revert to a level of manual control to get them set.

AU (online) prices appear to be about $4,500 for the AVM60.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

its the management of dual subs :)  its VERY convoluted process vs measurement, EQ and sub management you get with denon and marantz. if get a chance to check out, id very much encourage....

presuming using a process as per below as for avm 60 :) 

https://www.pooraudiophile.com/2017/06/how-to-calibrate-dual-subwoofers-anthem-avm-60-mrx.html

I just recentley purchased the NAD M17 V2 after auditioning the current Marantz and Denon equivalents ...the NAD  is a fantastic unit...awesome build and performance....quite a step up over Marantz and Denon offerings..

Highly recommend the M17 V2... ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DTJ said:

New AU stock Marantz 7704 $3176.

I have some reading to do..

Yes I've seen that price advertised. I'm still thinking that it's too much. Used units have sold for $1800 on here and I was procrastinating too much or perhaps a bit too cautious on buying it used.

35 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Yes I've seen that price advertised. I'm still thinking that it's too much. Used units have sold for $1800 on here and I was procrastinating too much or perhaps a bit too cautious on buying it used.

given way our dollar is going south and imported prices of things going up, i wouldn't expect any pricing to be going down in the coming times.... 

with something like this, more important id suggest where buy from :) the lowest price isn't always the best ! 

39 minutes ago, betty boop said:

the lowest price isn't always the best ! 

Yeah agreed. I was just hunting about online to get an idea of what street prices are.

I am certainly not opposed to new - warranty is not a bad insurance policy depending on how much extra you pay for it.

Just now, DTJ said:

Yeah agreed. I was just hunting about online to get an idea of what street prices are.

I am certainly not opposed to new - warranty is not a bad insurance policy depending on how much extra you pay for it.

yes unfortunately online and particularly eBay there are a particular bunch of turkeys you dont want to have anything to do with :D 

as to street prices... the best you get are usually in person... usually down find them in "click here to buy" because everyone can see those including your competitors...

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Highly recommend the M17 V2... ?

Yeah - without auditioning anything, it looks like a very nice piece of gear. But it is probably beyond what I am prepared to spend. New I am seeing prices around $10k local, and $8k (grey imports). Second hand could be an option for a V1 possibly - but there really is not much about at that end of the market.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DTJ said:

Yeah - without auditioning anything, it looks like a very nice piece of gear. But it is probably beyond what I am prepared to spend. New I am seeing prices around $10k local, and $8k (grey imports). Second hand could be an option for a V1 possibly - but there really is not much about at that end of the market.

with something like this you dont want a v1 or grey import .... ! 

its totally deserving of its rrp i reckon, very much case of get what pay for....

I wish it did auro 3D though.... :D  also i think it is limited to 7.1.4  which though will be fine for most. ie not sure what happens with dual subs for instance ...

@wooferocau pretty sure you run dual subs what you doing with those ? 

4 hours ago, DTJ said:

If you want the very latest NAD Darren and dont mind paying a bit less than a masters series and getting an avr [ utilising its pre outs for your elektra] ; the new T778/789 is just around the corner .. It has 9 class d amps that are derived from NADs 2ch designs iirc . It has garnered good thoughts from avforums in the UK .

And being modular it may one day get a  hdmi 2.1 board upgrade so a bit cheaper than the marantz 8805 which is slated for the same. With Dirac2.0 it may well get a bass control tier or better , something to check to rationalise your speakers crossovers with your sub/s :)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/news-nad-now-shipping-t-778-flagship-avr.2274098/post-27985585

I have an Elektra Amp - so receivers aren't really a consideration.

If its not a HD one  unbalanced rcas will be fine and you can experience proper 7.1.4 with  a few ceiling speakers .. and/or some extra zones

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, betty boop said:

with something like this you dont want a v1 .... ! 

Hi Al,

just wondering a bit more re thinking for the comment on the V1? In reading about, as best I can tell, V2 is literally the V1 with 3 different boards upgraded, all of which are separately available. The video board looks like it was a free upgrade to all V1 owners ( but that does no guarantee it has happened to them all), the audio board takes it to Atmos I think (and jumps to Dirac Live), and there was a third for their proprietary blueOS. The Dirac live might be the main thing missing, although I think it comes with the audio board upgrade, if done.

Obviously there is increased risk of an upgraded V1 having a glitch of some sort. But beyond that what were your main concerns?

1 hour ago, DarrenJ said:

Obviously there is increased risk of an upgraded V1 having a glitch of some sort. But beyond that what were your main concerns?

FREE upgrade to OWNERS.... is it STILL offered ? have you checked and to 2nd hand buyers ? keeping in mind even nad service and distribution changed hands here. the agent that imported and distributed these are different to the one now. I know a nad master series disc players I bought only few years earlier was told NO LONGER supported. this is the risk with buying and updating.... even with the marantz processor as I said they certainly provided a upgrade ... is it still available ? they only make so many kits ... a denon flagship I had you had to register interest and they'd make the kits ... after that ... that's it... so no guarantees that is available any more ...especially once new model is out ....

as far as glitches and things this is another concern....apart from can you actually get all these and upgraded to point of a good working (RELIABLE) condition. in my experience .... buying and upgrading is not always the cheapest... cost of all those inner boards and the MDC for atmos ? this is something been highlighted with this upgrade model a few times where  buying new updated model vs buying old and getting updated....

personally id rather a full working tried tested v2 than take a v1 and be left mind with question marks getting upgraded etc... do a lot of research hadn't due diligence... and this doesn't mean doing web searches especially where has little relevance to us here ! and then buy your own confidence :)  

On 09/05/2020 at 12:42 PM, DTJ said:

Interestingly  see your in Brisbane, and have a similar PJ/screen set up to what I have possibly. I would be interested to chat to you if you had the time. It seems most on these forums are Melbourne/Adelaide/Syd based. Maybe the weather is nicer up here!!.

PS. What part of Bris are you in?

Currently my set-up is southside in Springwood. I'm just at the beginning of a new house build at the moment  

Be more than happy to chat over thoughts, any settings etc. Just shoot me a PM ? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Currently my set-up is southside in Springwood. I'm just at the beginning of a new house build at the moment  

Be more than happy to chat over thoughts, any settings etc. Just shoot me a PM ? 

oh wow this is going to be interesting ! you have a pretty awesome setup neilsy ! no doubt going to continue to do it justice  with the new setup ! should post a build thread if get the chance am sure it will be of interest to quite a few folk :) 

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

FREE upgrade to OWNERS.... is it STILL offered ?.......

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I hear what your saying and those were my considerations. The reason I ask, I came across a new V1 in Australia. I am waiting to hear if it has had the video upgrade already. It’s about half the cost of a V2. From what i can see, all the other boards are available. But I would need to do a bit more checking to verify that. i am not sure this is the right thing, but I will look into it a bit further bad see where it gets to.

i can see my idea if “budget” heading north....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarrenJ said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I hear what your saying and those were my considerations. The reason I ask, I came across a new V1 in Australia. I am waiting to hear if it has had the video upgrade already. It’s about half the cost of a V2. From what i can see, all the other boards are available. But I would need to do a bit more checking to verify that. i am not sure this is the right thing, but I will look into it a bit further bad see where it gets to.

i can see my idea if “budget” heading north....

one of the things to be cautious here (and i am a cautious one...especially when serious dollars involved) is you dont buy this thing with assurances to then be left holding the baby that turns out to not be able to be updated due to cost or actual availability... oh as turns out we are missing one board or something ... or oh yeah upgraded but find out down track something doesn't quite work as intended  and then is it still all covered for full warranty as a straight out factory v2 was ? 

if i were you this is what i would do... id buy v1 new... if indeed it is new and with full warranty ...only if retailer does all the leg work. ie gets fully upgraded to v2 level and with full factory warranty... and this ways you will know full cost and know what you are buying. my bet also is if its half price now ... its likely at best going to be 75% or 80% of new price after upgrade... which is still heck of a lot ! and when you can usually wangle good discounts on new rrp in anywise.... and know what buying .... :) 

@DarrenJ below is what i am talking about, this relates to issue post update of m17 with new modules...

RickyDeg;59582726]No. After this issue appeared via the latest modules I've dragged my unit to the dealership 3 times over the past 15 months while simultaneously in close contact with Bob Moran at NAD but the issue has not been resolved. I've basically  given up hope at this point.

There has been a slight improvement on my unit however: the high pitched whining/hissing is not quite as pronounced as it was originally. On my last trip to the dealer their workshop (who I have very little trust in) had my unit in for 7 weeks. They were instructed by NAD to switch to a new AM17 module, as that was believed to be the culprit behind the noise. When I got the unit back the documentation from the workshop said "no issue found, replaced XLR board" which really sent me over the edge. I don't trust a single word from the dealer at this point but Bob Moran at NAD did confirm that they had changed the module. I have no idea of really knowing what they did.

Long story short, there is now less whining/hissing noise to pollute the audio reproduction, although the fact that it's still there annoys me. The processor should be dead-silent the same way it was for the first few years of ownership before the new modules were installed. 

Other than this I'm still impressed by the overall performance. I won't be giving NAD or this particular dealer my money next time however.

dont really want to end up in a tussle like this.....

Yeah. I agree, I think your logic is about snack on and where this is likely to end up. I will still follow up just to see where it goes, but I think it will be a dead end.

• Like 1