HIgher end 7.1 Processor Options with 4k - ideas and/or for sale options

1 hour ago, Wood said:

.... the Marantz 7704 is right in the sweet spot ..... 

Of the Marantz units, that was at the top of my list.

But I am following up some other processor potential options at a bit higher price point, but yet to make a decision.

1 hour ago, Wood said:

Except HDR10 and Dolby Vision. 

wood  av7702mk2 and av7703 absolutely WILL do HDR10, absolutely both will do dolby vision my marantz av8802A from 2015 got the dolby vision update.

check carefully and there is NO need to get latest and greatest for these ....see below from the horses mouth ! 

https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6289/~/dolby-vision-%2F-hlg-updates-for-av-receivers-%26-pre-amps

Dolby Vision / HLG Updates for AV Receivers & Pre-amps

Published 01/03/2018 04:36 PM   |    Updated 03/27/2019 02:06 PM 
Which model AV Receivers & AV Pre-Amps are compatible with Dolby Vision and HLG?

The following AV receiver and AV pre-amp models are or will be compatible with Dolby Vision and HLG:

AV7704: Feature included from factory release.

SR8012: Feature included from factory release.

SR7012: Feature included from factory release.

SR6012: Feature included from factory release.

SR5012: Dolby Vision feature included from factory release. *HLG update released in Sept 2017

NR1608: Dolby Vision feature included from factory release. *HLG update released in Sept 2017

NR1508: Dolby Vision feature included from factory release. *HLG update released in Sept 2017

AV7703: Via firmware update released in Sept 2017.

SR7011: Via firmware update released in Sept 2017.

SR6011: Via firmware update released in Sept 2017.

SR5011: Via firmware update released in Sept 2017.

NR1607: Via firmware update released in Sept 2017.

AV8802A: Via firmware update released in Feb 2018.

AV7702 mkII: Via firmware update released in Oct 2018.

SR7010: Via firmware update released in Oct 2018.

SR6010: Via firmware update released in Oct 2018.

SR5010: Via firmware update released in Sept 2018.

NR1606: Via firmware update released in Sept 2018.

NR1506: Via firmware update released in Sept 2018.

2 hours ago, Wood said:

I’m going through a similar process as the OP, though not with a dedicated room. Have settled on 7.1 for now powered by Elektra. Want to upgrade Yamaha AVR to get better pre-outs, better room correction and future proof for 7.1 with Atmos. 

Have pretty well decided the Marantz 7704 is right in the sweet spot of price/features/performance. 

absolutely do NOT have to go AV7704... anything av7702mk2 upwards will do....but by all means if av7704 is what want ... go for it ... :) 

26 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I believe that these models actually got an firmware update that supports DV.

they absolutely did as per link i posted. and I know from my 2015 unit we got updates to do all this.... :) 

26 minutes ago, DTJ said:

Of the Marantz units, that was at the top of my list.

But I am following up some other processor potential options at a bit higher price point, but yet to make a decision.

again you dont HAVE to go there.. especially if limited by budget.... anything from av7702mk2 upwards will do.... but ofcourse if want to spend more by all means... its your cash and your decision :) 

9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

absolutely do NOT have to go AV7704... anything av7702mk2 upwards will do....but by all means if av7704 is what want ... go for it ... :) 

The current discounts that can be found and warranty makes it an attractive option. 

Just now, Wood said:

The current discounts that can be found and warranty makes it an attractive option. 

by all means as I said people buy things for own reasons....

...however there are also 2nd hand options that do pop up that are remarkable bargains. I helped someone a while back setup a av7703 they had at an amazing price off here. I also know someone else happily running a av7702mk2 and has done for some years. if one came up cheap, I am not sure can think of a reason not to recommend :) 

Just now, Mr_Gadget said:

They don't come up for sale very often. I guess people that own them see no reason to upgrade unless moving up the chain or just waiting for HDMI 2.1

they do come up, but yes rarely .... and absolutely because there isnt a huge reason to go up...

re hdmi 2.1 that is a minefield I wouldnt want to be walking through as its a feature set rather than a set. something can be hdmi 2.1 if just supports one feature out the feature set.... not mandatory to support the lot. there is also not a lot in hdmi 2.1 worth waiting for ... its more trinkets.... with perhaps higher frame rates only thing might appeal to some for gaming but support for that even is hardly something to bank on... too early in the day to make a call id suggest. try find TVs that support hdmi 2.1 completely...  

29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

by all means as I said people buy things for own reasons....

...however there are also 2nd hand options that do pop up that are remarkable bargains. I helped someone a while back setup a av7703 they had at an amazing price off here. I also know someone else happily running a av7702mk2 and has done for some years. if one came up cheap, I am not sure can think of a reason not to recommend :) 

Lack of warranty is really the only one I can think of. 

I have a 7702mk2 that I was given. It has a few issues that will be expensive to fix, though still cheaper than buying the 7704/5. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wood said:

Lack of warranty is really the only one I can think of. 

I have a 7702mk2 that I was given. It has a few issues that will be expensive to fix, though still cheaper than buying the 7704/5. 

well you can't have it all :D  things are cheaper 2nd hand for a reason :D as i said aby all means buy new and each and every one of us will have reasons to buy what we do. :) 

5 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

So far digitalcinema seem to have the best deal on the 7704 but probably most stores would price match if intent is to buy.

I would be very careful where you buy from. the cheapest price is usually not the best.... usually the best prices are not on the web but what you get face to face.... no one puts their best price on the web for all including their competitors to see...

buy from a retailer that you know and trust and can rely on for after sales... things can certainly always fail nothing is infallible. that said I have myself found qualifi fantastic to deal with over the years. their service with the av8802a with its hard ware update was truly white glove service in picked up same day done... same with flagship denon owned  prior to that were very good all ways to end even years and years out of warranty, still white glove service... cant ask for more.