Marc

Should we merge the 'Digital Sources, DACs & Music Streaming' and 'Computer Audio / Software' subforums?

Should we merge the 'Digital Sources, DACs & Music Streaming' and 'Computer Audio / Software' subforums?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted No.

I think the  'Music Streaming' should have its own sub forum. To me its a different beast.

I think you could easily merge 'Digital Sources, Dacs  with 'Computer audio'.  But I could be convinced otherwise.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

Agreed, but looking at the discussions across both subforums, many of them should be in the other.

Maybe the two should be merged into:

Digital Sources, DACs, Computer Audio Discussion

And add a brand new Subforum:

Music Streaming Discussion (Roon, TIDAL, Spotify, Qobuz etc)

Unless I'm mistaken, this appears to still be the best outcome?

Bundling things together helps with critical mass, enough activity to keep people looking and discussing. I've seen photography forums where things were so finely divided that most of the topics just stagnate and whither. Your proposed

"Digital Sources, DACs, Computer Audio Discussion

And add a brand new Subforum:

Music Streaming Discussion (Roon, TIDAL, Spotify, Qobuz etc)"

seems like a sensible way to organise it and hopefully maintain momentum for both parts.

Posted (edited)

I  don't see why a CD player and a no computer streamer like a Bluesound Node streaming Spotify, for example, can be in the same sub forum as computer audio.

I have zero interest in computer audio, just as has already been stated by others that they have zero interest in CD players and streamers. Both opinions are entirely valid.

In any case, life will proceed whatever is decided.

Edited by rantan

I'm in the Computer Audio camp as that is what I use.

I better hurry up judging by this thread and scan through the Computer Audio section before it is merged with the other and maybe make it harder to find the info that is applicable to me.

18 minutes ago, rantan said:

a no computer streamer like a Bluesound Node streaming Spotify, for example, can be in the same sub forum as computer audio.

That confuses me, the Bluesound Node has a computer in it, using an ARM CPU.

Too late! Or have I missed what this thread is about.

Was Computer Audio ever separate?

Just now, pwstereo said:

That confuses me, the Bluesound Node has a computer in it, using an ARM CPU.

OK then, just to clarify my opinion.

There are many people who use a device like a Bluesound Node who do not have any interest in computer audio per se. It may very well be a computer inside but that is peripheral to the discussion. Even in Bluesound advertising they make a point of that.

1 minute ago, rantan said:

OK then, just to clarify my opinion.

... It may very well be a computer inside but that is peripheral to the discussion.

Ah, I understand what you mean now. I wasn't thinking of "computer audio" as being a discussion of computers, but rather as a means to an end anyway. But I feel that it's good to see things you may not have a direct interest in, I often find I learn things and get exposed to new things that way.

I agree with @ThirdDrawerDown and @betty boopon this one.

Digital audio is becoming more understandable with one box solutions, in particular for laymen like myself, it's all ok and respectful for the techo's to discuss it amongst themselves ......leave it alone I say, my vote is NO.

I'm a bit undecided about this.

I am slightly amused by the idea of a DAC being considered a digital source though. To my mind the digital source is whatever provides the digital signal that is sent to the DAC. The output from the DAC is, of course, analog. So a DAC is therefore an analog source to anything it sends a signal to. In a one box solution, of course, they will all be part of an integrated device.

Technical point perhaps. And nearly everything is a computer, in a sense.

I think ThirdDrawerDown is probably on the right track though.

This was done early yesterday already and no one even noticed, which I think means that it works.

We didn't suggest a DAC is a source though. It's just part of the "Digital" forum that includes discussion of digital sources, computer audio, and DACs, all combined in one area.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Marc said:

This was done early yesterday already and no one even noticed, which I think means that it works.

We didn't suggest a DAC is a source though. It's just part of the "Digital" forum that includes discussion of digital sources, computer audio, and DACs, all combined in one area.

I have an alternate reason.  nobody really cares that much about about digital 🤣😎🤣

don't try it in the turntable and vinyl section 😊

Edited by metal beat

Closing this now @metal beat has trolled and ruined it for all 😛